+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 5 at back

5 at back

Training pictures seem to indicate that we're planing for 3 at back: Schar - Lascelle - Burn and then Targett and Trippier as attacking full-backs.

Peoples thoughts?

Lascelle tends to do better with other players around him that can cover his mistakes.

Attacking full backs will offer outlets to the midfield and be able to put crosses in for Wood.

I think Schar is better off in a three, too.

I don't mind 3 at the back.

What is more important is the defensive line. If we are 10 yrs further up the pitch with the new signings we will be far more dangerous.

Burn is quick enough to cover back, trips and Targett both light years ahead of previous players in those positions leave me feeling much more confident that we can press the game with a higher block.

Bruno adds quality to the midfield as a ball winner and distributor.

Transition from back to front will be quicker and safer with more quality in the team.

We should be looking for Fraser and ASM to be high up the pitch pushing fullbacks backwards and Wood on the CBs shoulder looking to turn them at every opportunity.

Not sure.

This signals that Captain Lascelles is undroppable and we are going to build a brand new defence around the old weakest link.

That defensive lineup would be much stronger, as is, without Lascelles in it. It can be heavily disrupted if:

a) COVID strikes (when...not if)
    b) injuries to any of this back 5
    c) particularly bad performance by any of the 3 x CBs

While there is greater scope for them to cover for each other's fu'ck ups back there, it feels like we are overloading that area of the pitch to get a better result.

They would have to be exceptionally drilled and marshalled for all of these players to keep the offside line.

I dunno. Don't like it myself because it feels negative, especially with a monster DM as well. But one man's "negative" is another man's "defensive solidity" so let's see if it stops us shipping goals.

I'd personally bin Lascelles and bring him on into a contingency line up, as required.

But that's just me.

Lascelles in the team is a recipe for disaster. If Howe persists in playing him we will get relegated no doubt about it.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)