+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motherwell Brushed Aside By Four Goal Celtic

Motherwell Brushed Aside By Four Goal Celtic

Motherwell were thumped 4-0 by Celtic at Fir Park. Only an excellent goalkeeping performance by Liam Kelly prevented an embarrassment. LINK

"prevented an embarrassment". That's a bit of an over-statement is it not?

0-4 was a bad loss but Kelly prevented 0-6/7/8. Always look in the bright side

Agreed, at 0-3 I did think at that point FFS this is going to be 6/7/8 and Kelly's performance did prevent that, but overhaul the teams performance was feckin embarrassing!!!

Utterly predictable. The bigger problem however is we'll predictable name as bizarre/negative XI again at tannadice and the manager will then claim black is white afterwards.

Only Ross County have conceded more goals than us. Very obvious we have problems at the back, Kelly has more times than not saved us points. But the rest need to be sorted out and fast. How McGinley gets a game every week is beyond me, he is more of a danger to us than some of the opposition forwards. Wednesday and Saturday we have to go with an attack minded teams and get three points and a place in the next round of the cup, Both of which would give manager, players and fans a huge and needed lift

Quote Originally Posted by texaco cup View Post
    Only Ross County have conceded more goals than us. Very obvious we have problems at the back, Kelly has more times than not saved us points. But the rest need to be sorted out and fast. How McGinley gets a game every week is beyond me, he is more of a danger to us than some of the opposition forwards. Wednesday and Saturday we have to go with an attack minded teams and get three points and a place in the next round of the cup, Both of which would give manager, players and fans a huge and needed lift
    Every so often we meet a team who can afford players who are more skilful and quicker in thought, movement and action than our guys. They are just better football players and, more often than not, work - very hard - within a sound tactical structure. Celtic today were sharper all over the pitch; our players didn't get a minute's peace when they had the ball.(I assumed that we were going to try a 'pressing' game; it turned out that Celtic were better at that as well!).
    Anyway, it's done. Looking for a straw to clutch, I thought that Efford might be worth a starting place.

So many thoughts ... but can't be ar5ed to take the time ! MOTM Liam Kelly - a goalie losing 4 goals and still being MOTM; that says it all.
    And, as for us playing 2 left backs at the same time in the first half and NEITHER of them having a Scooby how to deal with Abada; what actually happens in our training sessions !?!?
    Celtic are a class above, but dearie me ...

Apart from underlining how important Kelly is to us, the only other positive I took from this game was the performance of our young guys, Cornelius and Tierney. They never gave up, didn’t let the fact they were up against better players affect them (unlike Carroll who seems to think jogging back is the same as bursting a gut) and gave the kind of display of effort I expect from everyone in Claret and Amber.
    And we need to work on how to teach our players to control a ball, pass to a player on our own team and move rather than stand still.

Maybe an idea to sit our guys down and watch a video of Boreham Wood against Bournemouth. They played a team 3 leagues above them
    with a far superior player budget and so called better players than them. But they chased and fought for every ball, closed down the opposition immediately and worked their socks off for one another as if their lives depended on it. They did not let the occasion or reputation of the opposition beat them before a ball was kicked. Something we could learn from

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)