+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Dave's take on firing blanks...

Dave's take on firing blanks...

Resident Clarets Mad match summariser Dave Thornley suggests Watford are not a football club that is easy to warm to. They seem to exist perpetually on the fringes: geographically on the fringes of London, and in footballing terms, on the fringes of Premier League security without ever being able to lock it down.
    In pursuit of this security of Premier League tenure, they adopt a policy of a constant churn of management appointments, reducing the image of the club to little more than a punch line. The constant revolving door to the manager’s suite ultimately proves unsuccessful, due to the fact that none are given the time required to bring any sort of success.
    Where Burnley cherish consistency and continuity, Watford prefer turmoil and confusion. The latest incumbent of the managerial ejector seat at Vicarage Road is the former manager of England, and just about everywhere else. Roy Hodgson whose world-weary, lived-in visage graced the Turf Moor technical area for yesterday evening’s much delayed and twice postponed Premier League relegation six pointer.
    With reduced ticket prices on offer, a home fan-base starved of recent action, a crucial and perhaps pivotal fixture and a new signing to inspect, Burnley fans turned up in great numbers despite appalling weather, desperate to play their part in urging their team on to ***** victory. It is with great sadness therefore that I must report that the team failed to respond and what ultimately transpired was a miserable match played in miserable conditions.
    Burnley were able to call once again on the services of Maxwel Cornet following his return from international duty for the Ivory Coast and also gave a debut to Dutch striker Wout Weghorst. Weghorst will, I’m sure, go on to score many goals for Burnley, but he is unlikely to recall his debut with much fondness. He had two presentable shooting chances; the first looped high off a defender’s boot and dropped onto the crossbar and the second he sliced badly after a surging run from James Tarkowski had set the chance up.
    As for Cornet, he drew two sharp saves out of Watford keeper Ben Foster, but, like Weghorst, suffered from a lamentable absence of service from the wings and from the central midfield pairing of Dale Stephens and Ashley Westwood, who are unlikely to draw any serious comparisons with Spain’s Xavi and Iniesta as a creative force.
    As for Watford, they almost scored from a goalmouth scramble, when no fewer than three Burnley defenders came within a whisker of nudging the ball over the goal line; and on the stroke of half- time, they appealed vociferously for a penalty as the ball struck Conor Roberts’ arm. By the time VAR had concluded that there was no case to answer, Burnley’s players had dispersed to the warmth of the dressing room. And that, save for a late Jay Rodriguez header which went narrowly wide, was just about that.
    So, Burnley failed to secure the win that would have lifted themselves out of the bottom three and continues the distressing sequence of failing to win against the teams around them in the table. Any escape route out of their current predicament that Sean Dyche may have plotted will have been contingent upon Burnley picking up three points from Saturday night’s fixture. That they failed to do so has made an already difficult task a whole lot much harder.
    Relegation now looms large for Burnley Football Club; Clarets fans have come to expect they receive no special favours from the EPL. Next up are Rangnick’s Manchester United as the revised fixtures come thick and fast.
    Now is the perfect time to invoke the spirit of Robbie Blake; Sean Dyche needs to somehow invoke a bit of Robbie’s mercurial talent into a team of players that are continually and depressingly firing blanks. We live in hope.

Attachment 20983

Good accurate report of the game.

Football goes in cycles and we are very much of a downer at the moment.We live in hope but if we go down then it may give us the chance of a big clear out and a fresh start.Whether SD will want to be part of that remains to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by barrie_burn View Post
    Football goes in cycles and we are very much of a downer at the moment.We live in hope but if we go down then it may give us the chance of a big clear out and a fresh start.Whether SD will want to be part of that remains to be seen.
    A big question will be should SD be a part of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Swissclaret View Post
    A big question will be should SD be a part of it?
    Everything comes to an end. Dyche probably needs a change and I firmly believe we do too!

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...same&FORM=VDRE

He can go for me BT I’d like a manager like the guy at Brighton or Notts forest - I’ve said before I’m grateful to Dyche because of what he’s done for Burnley, but footballs changed and we haven’t.

Quote Originally Posted by army88 View Post
    He can go for me BT I’d like a manager like the guy at Brighton or Notts forest - I’ve said before I’m grateful to Dyche because of what he’s done for Burnley, but footballs changed and we haven’t.
    Ex Swansea Managers do well.Go for Rogers if Leicester sack him.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)