+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Life On Mars

Life On Mars

David Bowie's 'Life On Mars' has a history that begins with a little known French song that became 'My Way' and years later 'Life On Mars'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW0ACEOEq6w

The history behind the song was very interesting,I would love to hear the My Way demo,I wonder if it's on bootleg somewhere? I enjoyed that version as well

Starman on top of the pops was a ground
    changing moment for those of us who saw it 'live' it was the talk of the playground the next day especially with Bowie putting his arm around Mick whilst singing the song,tame now but staggering in '73(?)

Quote Originally Posted by cocopops61 View Post
    The history behind the song was very interesting,I would love to hear the My Way demo,I wonder if it's on bootleg somewhere? I enjoyed that version as well

Starman on top of the pops was a ground
    changing moment for those of us who saw it 'live' it was the talk of the playground the next day especially with Bowie putting his arm around Mick whilst singing the song,tame now but staggering in '73(?)
    Ian Hunter's tribute to Mick Ronson:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bmes2qOQzWw

Quote Originally Posted by howoldboy View Post
    Ian Hunter's tribute to Mick Ronson:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bmes2qOQzWw
    That's a great song howoldboy,I've never heard it before 😎

That's a great song howoldboy,I've never heard it before 😎
    Hunter dedicated a song to his friend, “Michael Picasso”. He called him so because Mick could make something out of nothing.

https://mickronson.livejournal.com/10250.html

I can't find a recording of Bowie singing his lyrics to My Way anywhere including bootlegs but there was a version of Frank Sinatra s My Way sung by Bowie on Arena (I think)
    I know that everyone likes to knock Bowie for his Laughing Gnome but who remembers his version of Windhill In Old Amsterdam?... All together now...

I saw a mouse where,there on the stairs
    Where on the stairs just there
    A little mouse with clogs on,well I declare
    Going clip clippity clop on the stairs,oh yeah

I quite enjoyed it tbf

I can't find a recording of Bowie singing his lyrics to My Way anywhere including bootlegs but there was a version of Frank Sinatra s My Way sung by Bowie on Arena (I think)
    I know that everyone likes to knock Bowie for his Laughing Gnome but who remembers his version of Windhill In Old Amsterdam?... All together now...

I saw a mouse where,there on the stairs
    Where on the stairs just there
    A little mouse with clogs on,well I declare
    Going clip clippity clop on the stairs,oh yeah

I quite enjoyed it tbf
    His acting wasn't the best. He could certainly be knocked for that!

However what a stage presence.

I saw him at Newcastle City Hall in 1978 (Thin White Duke tour).

He was mesmerising.

Quote Originally Posted by howoldboy View Post

However what a stage presence.

He was mesmerising.
    I can believe that and I wish that I had seen him live,I can remember trying to get tickets for Rock City in the late 90's but they was sold out in minutes to those in the know

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)