+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Time to bite the bullet...

It's delusional to think Neil Lennon would entertain the Queen's job. Even someone like Tommy Wright is a level beyond what Queens's can expect to attract. Lennon's not the type of character i'd want anywhere near this team. We can't bring a new squad before the end of the season and the last thing we need is someone coming in "like a hurricane" and blowing this young squad's confidence to smithereens.

We'll either go for an experienced championship level manager e.g. Mcintyre, Hopkin, Duffy or it'll be a young ambitious coach looking to get into management. Personally, i favour the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by jardi View Post
    As we argue the toss, - the plight of our club is at stake.

We need to be brave and invite someone with the nous and clout of Neil Lennon who would kick ass not only in the changing room, but in the board room as well.

He would almost definitely use QOS as a stepping stone, - but he could save the club and breathe some fresh air into what has become a very stagnant atmosphere.

I would imagine that such an appointment would bring a lot of unhappy people back to Palmerston.

He will terrify most players (and directors for that matter) but he will expect 100% from everyone, - which is what we need at the moment.

If he were to come to Palmerston (even for a short time) he could be the one man to save our Championship status and provide the club with a potential pathway for the future.

Of course, he's too big for QOS, - but at the moment he's out of a job, and this would be an appointment of intent from our BOD and one that would send shivers down the bottom half of the Championship, - and the top half for that matter!

In any business, you should always surround yourself with the best people and not be threatened by those who may be better qualified than you.

At the moment, Queen of the South's Championship status is hanging by a thread, - but the right appointment could change all that. However with all due respect, bringing someone in from the lower English leagues would be like expecting Liz Truss to stop Putin entering The Ukraine.

I ask the BOD to be brave and appoint someone who will crash into Palmerston like a hurricane and blow not only the cobwebs away but all the detritus as well.
    Not a bad shout Jardi but could we convince Lennon to come to Palmerston I have my doubt but there no issues in pitching high and there is no harm in asking with nothing gained nothing lost attitude.
    Give Wullie a few games to see if he can get a reaction from the players who seem to have to highest opinion of him and he knows them inside out more so than any incoming manager. We do not have the time to mess around granted but the game on Saturday will indicate if he can influence this squad.

There is aiming high and there's being ridiculous. If i'm a 4/10 and i chat up a 6/10 i'm being ballsy and a bit of a dreamer. If i approach a 10/10 i'm in line for a restraining order...

Quote Originally Posted by Sane_Man View Post
    There is aiming high and there's being ridiculous. If i'm a 4/10 and i chat up a 6/10 i'm being ballsy and a bit of a dreamer. If i approach a 10/10 i'm in line for a restraining order...
    I don’t think Lennon is out of our league. And I also know for a fact that he is not the bullish type of character that jardi speaks of. The man is actually a really pleasant decent man, who has had his issues with his mental health which he freely speaks about. Yes he comes across as a bullish type of character with the media, but the image is not the man. That shouldn’t be mistaken for being a soft touch. You just have to see the Griffiths situation to see that.
    However he is a man that needs to rebuild his reputation in the game and queens have apparantly got 730000 reasons sitting in the bank that would let him do exactly that.

Quite simply Sane Man, there's no harm in asking.

What's the worst that happen? Lennon politely _or impolitely) tells the BOD to go and do something to themselves?

I've listened to criticism of this club from all quarters and its time to aim high with whoever we can bring in and get us over the line.

I don't care if its Neil Lennon, Jim McIntyre or whoever, - as long as they come in and ruffle a few feathers.

As for not wanting to upset a young team! Christ we're going down anyway, - this is not the time to play safe and not upset the apple cart. The BOD have decided that enough is enough, - hence why they have removed Johnson, - so there is absolutely no point in employing yet another 'safe pair of hands,' whispering on the sidelines!

They need to bring in someone who will get the players giving 100% and playing the last 12 matches like actual cup finals, - including blasting Cove out of the Cup for good measure.

This is an opportunity for someone like Lennon to perform a minor miracle and set himself on the road as well, - but yes it is a huge risk for them too.

Having said that, - the right man could get the present squad performing, turning draws into wins and avoiding relegation and a cup win too, making the manager a prime target for bigger clubs.

So I see this as a potential win/win for the club and the new manager, - a chance to keep our Championship status; an opportunity to see what the future holds and for the successful manager (providing of course that he can deliver) a stepping stone to a bigger club, - or God forbid, even staying on to bring promotion next season!

OK it's dreamland, but for the love of God, let's show some passion and get someone in the door who can wake this sleeping giant up, rather than accepting the dross of mediocrity.

Surely that's what the vast majority of us want?

I think Willie will hold the rains till the end of the season.
    Hard to offer a deal to a new manager at this time in the season when they don't know what division they'll be in or what budget they'll have at their disposal.

Need a Scottish equivalent of Roy Hodgson 😂😂

I liked AJ a lot as a player and as a manager previously. But whether it was the players not receptive enough or perhaps old style management, it just hasn't worked this time around. Unfortunately (fortunately!) I don't get to many games now, living away from Dumfries. I was up before Christmas and I have to say the feeling around the club was that all was not well behind the scenes. I'm just surprised the parting of the ways took so long.
    New Manager? IMO aim high, what has a Lennon got to lose, keep us up from this dire position and his reputation restored. Relegation, well that was AJ's fault.

Quote Originally Posted by jardi View Post
    Quite simply Sane Man, there's no harm in asking.

What's the worst that happen? Lennon politely _or impolitely) tells the BOD to go and do something to themselves?

I've listened to criticism of this club from all quarters and its time to aim high with whoever we can bring in and get us over the line.

I don't care if its Neil Lennon, Jim McIntyre or whoever, - as long as they come in and ruffle a few feathers.

As for not wanting to upset a young team! Christ we're going down anyway, - this is not the time to play safe and not upset the apple cart. The BOD have decided that enough is enough, - hence why they have removed Johnson, - so there is absolutely no point in employing yet another 'safe pair of hands,' whispering on the sidelines!

They need to bring in someone who will get the players giving 100% and playing the last 12 matches like actual cup finals, - including blasting Cove out of the Cup for good measure.

This is an opportunity for someone like Lennon to perform a minor miracle and set himself on the road as well, - but yes it is a huge risk for them too.

Having said that, - the right man could get the present squad performing, turning draws into wins and avoiding relegation and a cup win too, making the manager a prime target for bigger clubs.

So I see this as a potential win/win for the club and the new manager, - a chance to keep our Championship status; an opportunity to see what the future holds and for the successful manager (providing of course that he can deliver) a stepping stone to a bigger club, - or God forbid, even staying on to bring promotion next season!

OK it's dreamland, but for the love of God, let's show some passion and get someone in the door who can wake this sleeping giant up, rather than accepting the dross of mediocrity.

Surely that's what the vast majority of us want?
    jardi for the first time in a while I agree with a lot of what you say. The one question I would ask is what you mean by ruffling a few feathers.
    We have disagreed all season about the ability that is in this squad of players, but I have to admit, on our day we can be better than the likes of ayr, Morton etc. however when we have limited ability, it is imperative that the manager keeps the players happy and bring training, tactics and a style of management that the players believe in and get the players working for you.
    Someone standing on a touchline screaming and shouting at players doesn’t always help. In fact I’d say it is detrimental to everything we want the players to do, take a supervisor in a factory that stands and threatens his workers non stop. This just brings animosity and a group of disgruntled workers who won’t perform to there potential.
    Football is not different. If it’s someone shouting something constructive then that’s fine, but someone standing shouting at every player making a mistake will just make that player worse and that’s the last thing we need.
    What is needed is someone that players will admire, be strong in there management of players when needed, and have ideas that the players will find enjoyable and brings results and confidence. To the squad
    It’s well known that Johnstone had lost the changing room. If that’s down to his style of man management, which is rumoured to have happened, tactics, or training regime, only players and the man himself will be able to answer. But losing the changing room has brought us to where we are.
    Lennon is one of a number of managers who could tick the required boxes for the job and I personally would love to see someone like that at the club, but also to be given a free reign to deal with the team and to have a decent budget to strengthen the side, however I fear that previous posts won’t be far off the mark and Gibson will be given the job for the foreseeable

Lennon's got his pundits job on BBC 5 live.
    Doubt he would sacrifice that plus what the hell would he come here for 😂 If we were a big club I could just about understand the thinking but it's not going to extend his portfolio saving a year on year struggling team.

Gibson is probably best placed than anyone to save us as he knows the players, knows the importance and can see what areas are the problem.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)