+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Super Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    You think it's clearly ludicrous and utter bollox to share hissingdwarf and my viewpoint. Whereas I think it's naive beyond belief and very blinkered to believe that the complexity of a sport and how much you expose yourself to it has no impact on its popularity.
    I agreed with hissingdwarf who the said same as me, that you either like a sport or you don't. We're all different.

I disagreed with you and wiseoldmagpie hinting that I might like American football if I understood it better. Simple as that.

My mistake I meant wiseoldmagpie and myself, and I was more than hinting.

The contrasting views of the 4 aforementioned people perfectly illustrates that there is no universal right or wrong plenty of differing theories.

To me the reason doesn't matter, that wasn't my main point.

Perhaps you can join in and tell us your past experience (good or bad) of watching live sport in the states?

I've done basketball, football, baseball but yet to do Ice Hockey, MMA or any motor sports. Which I'd all love to experience in person.

My mistake I meant wiseoldmagpie and myself, and I was more than hinting.

The contrasting views of the 4 aforementioned people perfectly illustrates that there is no universal right or wrong plenty of differing theories.

To me the reason doesn't matter, that wasn't my main point.

Perhaps you can join in and tell us your past experience (good or bad) of watching live sport in the states?

I've done basketball, football, baseball but yet to do Ice Hockey, MMA or any motor sports. Which I'd all love to experience in person.
    I watched the Philadelphia Flyers ice hockey team play at home against a Canadian team in a play off game around 2002/3, I dont know much about the game but it was still a great event. The funny thing was the words to any chants came up on the scoreboard "Lets go Flyers".

I once went to a Super Bowl final and found it really boring. I definitely attended in person, but I'm not saying which game!

Seriously, I can't think of an American sport I would want to go and watch. Even the horse racing doesn't appeal greatly because it's mainly flat racing on dirt tracks. I would probably go to a Breeders Cup day if I happened to be nearby, but that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by hissingdwarf View Post
    Which team did you go with?
    Interesting how people ‘choose’ their team.

Agree with all of the above. Started around 30 years ago and now finally understand all the details of the game.
    #GoBrowns
    The Oakland Raiders, now of course the Las Vegas Raiders. I think it was something about their 'silver and black' colours that subliminally connected with my 'black and white' instincts. Only later did I learn about the global 'Raider Nation' and their reputation as the rowdy outlaws of the NFL, but it only reinforced my liking for them!

My only gripe is that the badge has become a bit of a fashion item and some people wearing it probably know next to nothing about the team or the sport, which makes it feel a bit too much like a worldwide corporate marketing exercise, but I'm sure the team isn't complaining about the global recognition and income!

In terms of success, the Raiders and Browns have had a lot in common for most of the past 20 years!

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I once went to a Super Bowl final and found it really boring. I definitely attended in person, but I'm not saying which game!

Seriously, I can't think of an American sport I would want to go and watch. Even the horse racing doesn't appeal greatly because it's mainly flat racing on dirt tracks. I would probably go to a Breeders Cup day if I happened to be nearby, but that's about it.
    But that would involve a long haul flight, I don't think you've got it in ya fella so I wouldn't think too much about it.

Stick to the beer tent at Cheltenham and the 5th day at an England test match at Trent Bridge as the epitome of live sport.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    The Oakland Raiders, now of course the Las Vegas Raiders. I think it was something about their 'silver and black' colours that subliminally connected with my 'black and white' instincts. Only later did I learn about the global 'Raider Nation' and their reputation as the rowdy outlaws of the NFL, but it only reinforced my liking for them!

My only gripe is that the badge has become a bit of a fashion item and some people wearing it probably know next to nothing about the team or the sport, which makes it feel a bit too much like a worldwide corporate marketing exercise, but I'm sure the team isn't complaining about the global recognition and income!

In terms of success, the Raiders and Browns have had a lot in common for most of the past 20 years!
    Raiders? Browns? I'm definitely joining the party with the Vikings gents

I chose them based purely on who had the best helmet when I was about 11 or 12. What an awful choice (in terms of success) but so in keeping with my beloved Stylish Magpies it's a perfect fit. If Minnesota ever do win the Superbowl I'm going celebrate it if it was a play off final victory at Wembley to reach the top flight.

But that would involve a long haul flight, I don't think you've got it in ya fella.
    Very slack from someone who didn't seem to like my pic from Mexico!

And Storm Eunice? A gentle breeze compared to a category 5 hurricane in Cuba.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post

Correct on both points.
    We’ve both been through more downs than ups and I’ve lost count of people I’ve seen wearing a raiders hat (even at the Lane a few matches ago) and when I’ve spoke to them (to take the Mick!) they didn’t even know the sport, never mind the team.
    I’d expect both Browns and LV to improve over next couple of years. We were close two seasons ago, but Mayfield as our QB blew all chances of moving forwards.
    Not convinced Carr is worth the quoted 40 mill a season though!

Quote Originally Posted by hissingdwarf View Post
    I’d expect both Browns and LV to improve over next couple of years. We were close two seasons ago, but Mayfield as our QB blew all chances of moving forwards. Not convinced Carr is worth the quoted 40 mill a season though!
    Browns regressed a bit last season and I don't know who's replacing OBJ, but to be fair to Baker Mayfield they look a lot better now than a few seasons ago when they had that dire losing run. I remember Neil Reynolds nicknaming them the 'Factory of Sadness' back then, and the Raiders weren't much better. At least you've still got the 'Dawg Pound', whereas 'The Black Hole' of the Oakland Coliseum can't really be re-created. The new stadium in Vegas is magnificent, but I can't help thinking the rough and ready old stadium suited the soul of the team better!

Derek Carr is almost great, but not quite. As good as anyone on his day and statistically very respectable, but he definitely seems to belong in that second tier of quarterbacks below the elite ones like Brady, Rodgers and Mahomes. Maybe with slightly better players around him he could make the step up, but like you I'm not convinced. It would be a big call to get rid of him in one sense, because the Raiders went through a host of quarterbacks (including the ultimate draft bust Jamarcus Russell) and Carr's been the best by far, but he's still overpaid.

I don't know what to expect next season. Jon Gruden had no choice but to resign because of his email antics but I thought they were gradually improving under him. After hiring and firing for many seasons to no real benefit, giving him a long contract was just starting to produce some stability, but now it depends on Josh McDaniels, who seems an odd choice.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast