+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: On The Buses Olive Dead.

On The Buses Olive Dead.

Anna Karen who was 85 died on her own in a house fire.

On The Buses is the first TV sitcom I can remember watching as a kid, fantastic characters.

I did a fantastic Blakey impression as a kid that could make other kids p I s s themselves at school but I loved Olive and Arthur her miserable husband.

RIP “you great lump” ......the last member of that famous cast.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post

On The Buses is the first TV sitcom I can remember watching as a kid, fantastic characters.

I did a fantastic Blakey impression as a kid that could make other kids p I s s themselves at school but I loved Olive and Arthur her miserable husband.

Same here...first comedy....and "Love thy neighbor" was another one....
    Her on screen hubby could never get it up.....

RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post

Totally agree Mick this programme was simply the best! Loved Please Sir too with Sharon, Duffy etc!

Im Gonna git you Butler

Always found it funny that Jack was the ladies man despite looking like a spitting image puppet

great show

@BaggieSingh.
    Hope for us all now...

Always used to enjoy watching "On the buses" as a kid although when I re-watched some of the episodes a few years back I was a bit surprised that I didn't find them as funny. Guess a lot of 70s TV shows look a bit creaky these days and certainly couldn't be made in today's PC world but that doesn't mean that many of them aren't still bloody funny though.

When I look back, it seems that we also had far more sitcoms on telly then than we do now which maybe says something? Ones from the 70s I liked Inc Love Thy Neighbour, Steptoe and son, Whatever happened to the likely lads, Dad's Army, The Liver birds, Ain't half hot mum, Some mothers do have em, Porridge, Man about the house, Rising Damp, Are you being served and Fawlty Towers. Loads of them really and sure there were many more too!

As for poor Anna Karen, what an awful way to go.

It wasn't a bad comedy by ITV standards. BBC always did the best comedies, sport's commentary, documentaries and news.
    ITV excell at soaps and adverts.
    I never liked Love Thy Neighbour which I thought was crass, not a patch on Til Death.
    On the buses was okay but never side splitting like Fawlty Towers, One Foot In The Grave or Monty Python.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegstrat6 View Post
    Always used to enjoy watching "On the buses" as a kid although when I re-watched some of the episodes a few years back I was a bit surprised that I didn't find them as funny. Guess a lot of 70s TV shows look a bit creaky these days and certainly couldn't be made in today's PC world but that doesn't mean that many of them aren't still bloody funny though.

When I look back, it seems that we also had far more sitcoms on telly then than we do now which maybe says something? Ones from the 70s I liked Inc Love Thy Neighbour, Steptoe and son, Whatever happened to the likely lads, Dad's Army, The Liver birds, Ain't half hot mum, Some mothers do have em, Porridge, Man about the house, Rising Damp, Are you being served and Fawlty Towers. Loads of them really and sure there were many more too!

As for poor Anna Karen, what an awful way to go.
    The reason for lack of sitcoms these days is mainly down to the “PC” culture we now live in.

The PC Nazis always miss the point, in many programmes such as Love Thy Neighbour the joke was actually on both blokes and their ignorance, same with Alf Garnett.

Nowadays it’s almost impossible to pick a subject matter that won’t attract criticism, you don’t see repeats of stuff like Men Behaving Badly because the misogyny brigade would be out in force.

You can’t make fun of skin colour, nationality, gender, age, disability, social standing etc, etc anymore.

I’m on a Facebook ban ( again! ) for 30 days for posting the following rhyme under a picture of Fred and Rose West on Valentines Day.

Fred you’re now dead and I’m in the slammer,

But didn’t we have fun with those girls and that hammer!

It was banned as “hate speech” but it’s nothing of the sort, ban it under “bad taste” if you must but don’t make it out to be something that it isn’t.

When did bad taste become illegal?

The answer of course is “never” but that’s the way we are fast heading.

Humour has always been subjective and moreover, in most cases it’s predicated on someone else’s perceived stupidity or misfortune.

Unfortunately the few have taken away this ability for us to laugh at ourselves and the truly stupid.

I loved On The Buses, will never forget the joke where Jack's having it away with a spoken for bird who left her knickers on the washing line as a signal her fella's away. Camera shoots to 3 pairs on the washing line and Jack quips it's better than you think mate, she's only got 3 pairs!

I agree the PC brigade completely miss the point on Alf Garnett and Little Britain amongst others - taking the p1ss out of British stereotypes.

George and Mildred.....😇

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)