+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ot - Leeds

ot - Leeds

Have been watching something very interesting on YouTube called 'Leeds united- the wilderness years 1975- 1988'.

These are roughly 10 minute videos of Leeds United's struggle and slow demise after their controversial European Cup final defeat to Bayern Munchen. The videos are in chronological order and there are 30 odd of them up to 1982ish so far.

The videos come with TV match highlights, music from the time and the newspaper headlines. Its very well put together and worth a watch. Obviously I'm no leeds fan but I found it interesting viewing. Give it a go mi owds.

Yeah these are really good vids Pass, and like you say they are very well put together.
    Ive been watching them for ages now and always like seeing new episodes.
    They are up to the early 80s at the moment when Clarkie was their boss, and it surprises me what a difficult manager he sounded like to work for.
    Im sure Trevor Aylott would go along with that lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Yeah these are really good vids Pass, and like you say they are very well put together.
    Ive been watching them for ages now and always like seeing new episodes.
    They are up to the early 80s at the moment when Clarkie was their boss, and it surprises me what a difficult manager he sounded like to work for.
    Im sure Trevor Aylott would go along with that lol.
    Yes I've been enjoying the early 80s episodes recently too Acido, some great music like Motorhead, tenpole tudor and OMD. I also remember some of the players. Hooliganism took crowds down very low. Leeds were down to 12,000 at one point with Clarke complaining that Barnsley were better supported at the time back in 1981.

I think it was a poisoned challis for whoever managed them in the wake of the Revie era. Most of that great team was past it and I think its fair to say that the directors mis managed the situation.

Yeah Clarkie also din't make many friends in the job, but he was right when he'd defend their awful football with the comment that results count more than the performance.
    And how many times have we thought that about our team ehh. And I really had to laugh when he said he'd volunteer to whip their hooligan fans on the pitch, before a game lol.
    Now I would have gladly watched that on pay per view if he'd done it. 😅
    This sort of show is always popular when it mixes music and news stories, it reminds me of The Rock and roll years series on the Beeb.

Interesting.
    I watched the 1977 Leeds v Man U semi final on the tele the other day.
    Even by 1977 Leeds were on the way down.
    Leeds had still some of the older players in that side such as Clarke and Madely but were no contest for the likes of the revamped Man U team of Coppell, Hill and Pearson.

Leeds had McQueen and Joe Jordan also in that team - who were soon destined for Manchester.
    Other than the blip under Wilkinson - Leeds United have been on a steady decline since the early 1970s.

I also watched the Leeds v Man U match on Sunday.
    Vast difference in the quality of the players.
    There are several leagues within the Premier.
    I would put Leeds in the bottom league within that league - in with teams like Watford, Burnley etc.

But as the commentators said - there’s no real money at Leeds.
    Which obviously got me thinking about the dire situation we are in at Barnsley.

If reports in newspapers are to be believed then the wealth of the joint owners who bought Barnsley is at least 28 Times bigger than that of the chairman who bought Leeds.
    Although since then I believe Leeds have had cash injection from American football.
    Which sort of puts into perspective what level of cheapskates we have at Barnsley.
    Last edited by Young_Nudger; 21-02-2022 at 08:32 AM.

They always had big matches against Man Ure, and they are always good to watch for the neutrals.
    Sunday's 2-4 win for Man Ure wasn't spoiled by the weather, but it makes you wonder how many more they might have scored in normal conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    Interesting.
    I watched the 1977 Leeds v Man U semi final on the tele the other day.
    Even by 1977 Leeds were on the way down.
    Leeds had still some of the older players in that side such as Clarke and Madely but were no contest for the likes of the revamped Man U team of Coppell, Hill and Pearson.

Leeds had McQueen and Joe Jordan also in that team - who were soon destined for Manchester.
    Other than the blip under Wilkinson - Leeds United have been on a steady decline since the early 1970s.

I also watched the Leeds v Man U match on Sunday.
    Vast difference in the quality of the players.
    There are several leagues within the Premier.
    I would put Leeds in the bottom league within that league - in with teams like Watford, Burnley etc.

But as the commentators said - there’s no real money at Leeds.
    Which obviously got me thinking about the dire situation we are in at Barnsley.

If reports in newspapers are to be believed then the wealth of the joint owners who bought Barnsley is at least 28 Times bigger than that of the chairman who bought Leeds.
    Although since then I believe Leeds have had cash injection from American football.
    Which sort of puts into perspective what level of cheapskates we have at Barnsley.
    Yes I watched that '77 cup semi too on The Big Match Revisited. Proper football.

The youtube clips I've mentioned chronicles that game in some detail. It was in that year those fences were erected on the leppings Ln to keep the unruly fans from getting on the pitch. Only 12 years later they would prove fatal to the 97.

The hooligan problem was hitting football in a big way around 1977. The youtube film also documented how an extra 2000 tickets were forged by Mancs for the Hillsborough kop which was the Leeds end that day. It meant hundreds of man utd fans infiltrated the Leeds end causing violence and big disturbances on the Kop that day.

The hooliganism was so bad at that time that the pub landlords around Hillsborough shut up shop for the day boarding up their windows. The Sheffield buses refused to transport any supporters from Sheffield Midland train station meaning that the Leeds fans who travelled by train that day had a 7 mile round trip on foot to get to the stadium and back.

The man u fans who travelled by train could disembark at Wadsley Bridge railway station which is only 5 mins walk from Hillsborough. It was bedlam by all accounts. There's certainly no love lost between those two clubs and that semi final in 77 was no exception.

The youtube films also focus on the league meetings between rival fans at Elland Rd and Old Trafford showing clips of how the games were policed and the running mobs looking for action. Bloody crazy times between the most notorious hooligan crews back then.

It's a one way rivalry , Man Utd don't give a chuff about Leeds , it's all being created by media /hooligans, they're big rival is Liverpool , Similar to us Wednesday don't give a monkeys about BFC !!

What a spanking that was for Leeds at Liverpool. Its been said by their fans now that Bielsa should go, and that shows that all managers do eventually run out of time and favour, at every club.
    And although Ive got no time for them, it does put Liverpool right into the title race now.
    And when you look at teams who are apprently down already, it just shows what 2 wins in a row can do. Come on Burnley, I hope they can stay up again.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    What a spanking that was for Leeds at Liverpool. Its been said by their fans now that Bielsa should go, and that shows that all managers do eventually run out of time and favour, at every club.
    And although Ive got no time for them, it does put Liverpool right into the title race now.
    And when you look at teams who are apprently down already, it just shows what 2 wins in a row can do. Come on Burnley, I hope they can stay up again.
    Had to laugh other week. A so called Leeds fan came on talksport slating Bielsa saying that Kevin Blackwell did a better job

I like Burnley too Acido and want them to stay up. Dyche has worked absolute wonders at that club. The day he leaves the club will be a bad day for Burnley and its supporters

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast