+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Why not just say Rotherham?

Quote Originally Posted by LincsMiller View Post
    Anyone any thoughts on why our home attendance is poor ?
    That’s IF you think that it is poor.

Forgetting the freak attendances of the forties and fifties, our present gates of 8-9000 were pretty standard in Div 2 in the 1960’s. 40 years ago Rotherham attracted over 10,000 to a home game v Palace. This was noted in the Advertiser as the first time since promotion that a 10,000 crowd did not include a large away following. I think that’s where I’d like us to be in the next couple of years.

Fast forward to the mid 80’s and our support was almost permanently stuck around the 4500 mark. Over 5000 was a big crowd. The 88-89 title was played out in front of crowds around 4500 and even in the Championship under Ronnie 20 years ago 5500-6500 was the regular figure. Even this number was decimated by our subsequent troubles and exile, so that 2500-3000 gates were often recorded at DVS. Once you lose support it can be hard to get them back, so after the initial novelty value of a new stadium, I actually think that us retaining over 8,000 home supporters for the decade that NYS has been open has been pretty decent considering our yo-yo tendency.

To grow further would require us to stay up for a few years imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaufighter View Post
    That’s IF you think that it is poor.

Forgetting the freak attendances of the forties and fifties, our present gates of 8-9000 were pretty standard in Div 2 in the 1960’s. 40 years ago Rotherham attracted over 10,000 to a home game v Palace. This was noted in the Advertiser as the first time since promotion that a 10,000 crowd did not include a large away following. I think that’s where I’d like us to be in the next couple of years.

Fast forward to the mid 80’s and our support was almost permanently stuck around the 4500 mark. Over 5000 was a big crowd. The 88-89 title was played out in front of crowds around 4500 and even in the Championship under Ronnie 20 years ago 5500-6500 was the regular figure. Even this number was decimated by our subsequent troubles and exile, so that 2500-3000 gates were often recorded at DVS. Once you lose support it can be hard to get them back, so after the initial novelty value of a new stadium, I actually think that us retaining over 8,000 home supporters for the decade that NYS has been open has been pretty decent considering our yo-yo tendency.

To grow further would require us to stay up for a few years imo.
    Agree, if we can stay in championship then we might get more through gates but still might have to wait until fans can afford it, some have lost jobs through covid then there’s them that work all hours
    We’re not doing too bad with sponsors but back in championship will attract more and get them back that only seem to bother with us when we go up.

Hopefully the youngsters will still be coming to NYS when they get into adulthood

Quote Originally Posted by millers88 View Post
    Definitely add another tier on East stand first it would make the stadium look a lot better has that is probably the worst looking stand plus the benefits of giving away fans all of the south stand plus half of the east stand if they needed. That means the likes of Wednesday, Blades, Sunderland and a few championship clubs could be bring about 4 to 5k fans and we will end up with 14k to 15k crowds and the odd full house of 16k. I'm sure in the long run we would benefit from all the revenue.
    I believe it has to be done, for engineering and financial reasons, in a sequencial order with the East Stand upper tier being the last piece of the jigsaw.

Quote Originally Posted by millertop View Post
    David
    @David43923838
    ·
    34m
    Evatt is spot on, look at Rotherham, stubborn & boring to watch, a 12k stadium can only attract average 7k fans, Rotherham population is 320k
    Quote Originally Posted by LincsMiller View Post
    Anyone any thoughts on why our home attendance is poor ?
    Depends what you mean by poor Lincs.

Our average home support this season up to and including the Cheltenham game was 8,382, that's home fans only.
    Away support has to be added to get an overall average.

Two local clubs whos fanbase is more than double ours.
    Personally considering the financial problems we've had in the past history we are doing fine.

TS did say the club would need 8k season ticket holders to even consider extending the ground, we're nowhere near that figure although it's good to see young kids and families going to home and away games.

Fail to see what else the club can do, kids for a quid, friends for a fiver...need to get back to the Championship and get a foothold there.

Comfy capacity for most places (catering, toilets etc) is about two thirds full so that's fine really and should not look or sound empty.

Perhaps there is also the option to continue hosting women's matches. If that continues to grow then being able to accept the supporters has to be a decent thing. Although I guess it is a fixed revenue as we wouldn't get TV cash and the money for hospitality would go to the caterers.

Quote Originally Posted by CASPER-64-FRANK View Post
    Fail to see what else the club can do, kids for a quid, friends for a fiver...need to get back to the Championship and get a foothold there.
    One or two marquee signings might put a few on the gate and they might keep coming back if they did well
    We've done it before with Scott Minto and Jody Morris and they were players who wanted to come. I seem to recall Minto just wanted to play football and Morris took a huge pay cut just to put himself in the shop window with us for a deal somewhere else. It was good for both parties.

So try and find someone else who is motivated to do well and wants to join us for the right reasons

I noticed that Jack Wilshere is struggling to find a perm deal anywhere. He may have priced himself out of a deal and I'm not suggesting we go for him but just used it as an example

he is just a bitter man, from a club that should have been closed when they closed Bury

Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post
    One or two marquee signings might put a few on the gate and they might keep coming back if they did well
    We've done it before with Scott Minto and Jody Morris and they were players who wanted to come. I seem to recall Minto just wanted to play football and Morris took a huge pay cut just to put himself in the shop window with us for a deal somewhere else. It was good for both parties.

So try and find someone else who is motivated to do well and wants to join us for the right reasons

I noticed that Jack Wilshere is struggling to find a perm deal anywhere. He may have priced himself out of a deal and I'm not suggesting we go for him but just used it as an example
    I think we may have also benefitted from the terms of Jody Morris' licence 😉

Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post
    So if the likes of Bolton and Wendy get a lot more fans than us and therefore more spending power and ability to attract better players then why are they in Div One?
    Why aren't they at the top of div one?
    Bolton are way outside the playoffs, have played more games and are very inconsistent
    Yes but they are the best side in league1. Evatt says so!

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    More fans than us
    +
    Bigger budget than us
    +
    Lower finish in the league than us
    =
    Wrong tactics for the league
    =
    Money pissèd up the wall.
    100% correct Frogmeister

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast