+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Can someone explain to me [Jaros vs. Slocombe]

Quote Originally Posted by magpie2k4 View Post
    Jaros has made 4 mistakes that have led to goals .. in about 4 games

Slocombe has made far fewer mistakes in a lot more games
    I mean we can all make figures up, Slocombe's made 12 mistakes leading to goals over the last season or two... There we go I just made something up too, but Slocombe has made his fair share of mistakes including when Patterson was away for a bit and he was flapping at stuff.

Unless you can remind me of other mistakes leading to goals, that are clear, not just your opinion, then the one against Halifax is the only one I can think of but that goal was terrible all round, one ball over the top and they were through on goal far too easily.

His distribution and dealing with crosses is also better than Slocombe's and as is fairly obvious if you've seen us play under Burchnall, being able to play out is vital to how we play. Slocombe has tried to adapt but as they say, you can't teach an old dog new tricks and he's always looked uncomfortable playing out under pressure.
    Last edited by DelroyFacey22; 24-02-2022 at 04:29 PM.

It’s not about writing him off.
    It’s the fact we replaced a player that didn’t need replacing.

We had a steady 7/8 out of 10 each week and have replaced him with someone who hasn’t played better than a 5/10 yet
    I like Slocombe, seems a sound guy and been a good goalkeeper for us, but it is an absolute reach to say he’s been 7 or 8/10 this season. Has made far more errors this season than he has in his previous couple of years.

Jaros has had a shakyish start and was clearly at fault for the goal on Tuesday, but his distribution is also very good and he’s claimed crosses very well. Patterson also had a very shaky start for us, being particularly culpable in the collapse at Halifax, so I’m not particularly worried about Jaros yet.

We had a steady 7/8 out of 10 each week and have replaced him with someone who hasn’t played better than a 5/10 yet
    You noticed that this season Slocombe has been noticeably worse than last season? He was a 7/8 out of 10 each week in previous seasons but not this.

He needed competition moreso than replacing. The last guy proved to be a sizeable upgrade, Jaros may or may not prove to be the same. Give him time I say. If he continues to perform below the required standard, Slocombe will be back in and hopefully better.

The first time I’ve seen Jaros play on Tuesday and he literally had nothing to do except make the cockup for the goal. He didn’t look particularly comfortable under pressure, so hopefully he’ll improve on that score. As others have said, Patterson looked dodgy to begin with, and Slocombe hasn’t looked up to it this season.

Not sure what his sweeping skills are like, but the Halifax keeeper was excellent. Good shot stopping and more importantly commanded his box well and claimed the ball when he came out for it.

You obviously like Slocombe which you are entitled to, but I've never felt confident with Slocombe coming for crosses or playing out from the back quickly with the defence and in my opinion I never had Slocombe down as a 7 or 8 out of 10 and so have been pleased with the additions of Patterson & Jaros and think we will need a new keeper next season if we are to keep progressing.

Quite right, we had no need for a loanee goalkeeper.

Quote Originally Posted by DelroyFacey22 View Post
    I mean we can all make figures up, Slocombe's made 12 mistakes leading to goals over the last season or two... There we go I just made something up too, but Slocombe has made his fair share of mistakes including when Patterson was away for a bit and he was flapping at stuff.

Unless you can remind me of other mistakes leading to goals, that are clear, not just your opinion, then the one against Halifax is the only one I can think of but that goal was terrible all round, one ball over the top and they were through on goal far too easily.

His distribution and dealing with crosses is also better than Slocombe's and as is fairly obvious if you've seen us play under Burchnall, being able to play out is vital to how we play. Slocombe has tried to adapt but as they say, you can't teach an old dog new tricks and he's always looked uncomfortable playing out under pressure.
    That playing out from the back lark isn't for the likes of us at non-league level, the composure and tactical nous isn't there. It's OK to see them premiershippers doing it but they are more accurate passers than wot we are. We know how vulnerable we are to the high press and fannying about in your own penalty area is asking for trouble, it only takes one fluffed pass and the enemy is on you like a shot, they don't really have to try too hard when they see how dodgy we can be.

Quote Originally Posted by justincast View Post
    You obviously like Slocombe which you are entitled to, but I've never felt confident with Slocombe coming for crosses or playing out from the back quickly with the defence and in my opinion I never had Slocombe down as a 7 or 8 out of 10 and so have been pleased with the additions of Patterson & Jaros and think we will need a new keeper next season if we are to keep progressing.
    I haven't seen Jaros add anything in the games he's played than what Slocombe brings
    Jaros handling looks suspect at times dropping the ball, he isn't comfortable with the ball at his feet at all in my opinion and has only made what i'd call routine saves
    The mistake on Saturday was terrible from a goal keepers view, once you've committed yourself, if you can't get the ball, then go through both ball and man. I was sat right behind him and He bottled it.
    I'm sure given time he will grow in confidence but find it really unfair on Slocombe

I think we can only judge after a few games more, for me he’s been ok. Tbf Slocombe has took some right pelters on social media this season which I think has been unfair as he’s had 2 decent seasons for us and doesn’t become bad overnight. I think it’s clear he won’t be here next season as much his choice as the clubs.

Agree with Matt, yes he's been disappointing this season but some fans quickly forget how solid he was in previous seasons.

However if you underperform you get competition, you get replaced. Everyone knows Patterson made us noticeably better. Let's hope Jaros does the same.

I keep hearing how Patterson gave fans heart attacks cos he was too comfortable in possession and all this passing it around at the back is going to cost us. But I've not seen or heard of many if any examples of it this season. Can anyone help me out? It is just the usual OTT reaction?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast