+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Can someone explain to me [Jaros vs. Slocombe]

Quote Originally Posted by jacobncfc View Post
    Nope. We always look like we might, but can’t remember one example where it’s actually happened. We’ve actually scored more from the other team doing it this season than we’ve conceded because of it, even though we take it to extremes.
    That's what I thought too. Not once! Close maybe, but no cigar or concession.

If it had happened multiple times then I expect the response to the question would be swift with examples given by many. The absence of this tells us all we need to know IMO. We've got bigger things to worry about.

We are fortunate to have defenders who are more comfortable on the ball than your average National League defender.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    Why on Earth are we giving playing time to an other club's trainee goalie? It's not like we're going to sign the blighter any time soon, is it?
    We should be showing confidence in Slocombe, not signing temps for the benefit of someone else. Slocombe isn't perfect but he's at least as good a goalie as any of the loaned ones.
    No offence to Slocombe, he's a lovely bloke and a half decent keeper, but what long term future or value does a 33 year old Goalkeeper have for us? If Jaros was keeping Tiernan Brooks from playing then I'd see your point but I'd much rather have a better goalkeeper on loan than show confidence in a 33 year old for no particular reason.

That playing out from the back lark isn't for the likes of us at non-league level, the composure and tactical nous isn't there. It's OK to see them premiershippers doing it but they are more accurate passers than wot we are. We know how vulnerable we are to the high press and fannying about in your own penalty area is asking for trouble, it only takes one fluffed pass and the enemy is on you like a shot, they don't really have to try too hard when they see how dodgy we can be.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, we are non-league and we don't have the players with the talent to accurately pass the ball between each other from our penalty area to the enemy one.
    And yet it's caught us out how many times? You're definitely one of the "Gerrit Forward!" old timers in the Pavis arent you? We've shown time and time again that it works well for us and we'll continue to keep doing it, look at the chances our style of football has afforded us in the last 3 games. The Eastleigh game alone probably had more goal scoring opportunities than we had in Jamie Fullerton's entire spell as manager here.

Quote Originally Posted by DelroyFacey22 View Post
    No offence to Slocombe, he's a lovely bloke and a half decent keeper, but what long term future or value does a 33 year old Goalkeeper have for us? If Jaros was keeping Tiernan Brooks from playing then I'd see your point but I'd much rather have a better goalkeeper on loan than show confidence in a 33 year old for no particular reason.

And yet it's caught us out how many times? You're definitely one of the "Gerrit Forward!" old timers in the Pavis arent you? We've shown time and time again that it works well for us and we'll continue to keep doing it, look at the chances our style of football has afforded us in the last 3 games. The Eastleigh game alone probably had more goal scoring opportunities than we had in Jamie Fullerton's entire spell as manager here.
    Actually I’m a “Gerrit forward!” old timer in the Kop and your rude assumption is unwarranted.

Goalkeepers are playing Into their forties even in the premier league, 33 is no age for a keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    Goalkeepers are playing Into their forties even in the premier league, 33 is no age for a keeper.
    Name the ones doing that for top teams, which is what we're trying to be, in our respective division that are also good on the ball, the list probably starts and ends with Manuel Neuer. Arsenal tried it with Petr Cech and it didn't work, despite him being a premier league legend, he was never good with the ball at his feet and his spell there made him look like a bang average GK.

We also want players with resale value, Slocombe isn't and will never be that and as others have said, to say he's been average this season would be being kind, I've thought he's had a few stinkers this season and was wanting Patterson to come back ASAP. Before Patterson first came in a lot of fans were saying we needed another keeper too, that wasn't for the sake of it it was because he wasn't playing very well.

Quote Originally Posted by DelroyFacey22 View Post
    Name the ones doing that for top teams, which is what we're trying to be, in our respective division that are also good on the ball, the list probably starts and ends with Manuel Neuer. Arsenal tried it with Petr Cech and it didn't work, despite him being a premier league legend, he was never good with the ball at his feet and his spell there made him look like a bang average GK.

We also want players with resale value, Slocombe isn't and will never be that and as others have said, to say he's been average this season would be being kind, I've thought he's had a few stinkers this season and was wanting Patterson to come back ASAP. Before Patterson first came in a lot of fans were saying we needed another keeper too, that wasn't for the sake of it it was because he wasn't playing very well.
    Fabianski 37, Guaita, 35, Ben Foster 42, Fraser Foster 33, Kasper Schmeichel 35, Hugo Lloris 35,
    Dubravka 33 and many of the second choice keepers are 33 plus.
    By the way Jaros and Patterson have no resale value.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    That's what I thought too. Not once! Close maybe, but no cigar or concession.

If it had happened multiple times then I expect the response to the question would be swift with examples given by many. The absence of this tells us all we need to know IMO. We've got bigger things to worry about.

We are fortunate to have defenders who are more comfortable on the ball than your average National League defender.
    But concede more goals than your average top 7 national league defender.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    But concede more goals than your average top 7 national league defender.
    Yet not one of the concessions have come direct from overplaying at the back, or passing out from the back, or goalkeeper overconfidence.

Nothing to see here folks, need to look for other reasons for conceding too many.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Yet not one of the concessions have come direct from overplaying at the back, or passing out from the back, or goalkeeper overconfidence.

Nothing to see here folks, need to look for other reasons for conceding too many.
    The last goal we conceeded was a goal keeper f**k up. Bit of an odd reply Laddo.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    The last goal we conceeded was a goal keeper f**k up. Bit of an odd reply Laddo.
    Not really, his mistake was misjudging a through ball and not being brave enough (IMO).

Nowt to do with how good he is with his feet, starting attacks by quickly playing out from the back or Notts playing it along the backline.

Maybe there has been one of those examples that have resulted directly in a goal but as of yet nobody can find one and we've conceded more than enough as you highlighted. Obviously the fear alone is enough to get NCM worrying.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast