+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wages/Home gates

Wages/Home gates

Interesting what crops up whilst self isolating...

At the end of an online Zoom call, a colleague commented today about how well the Millers are doing and then said something like:

"Well, it's okay for the big wage/well moneyed clubs like Wigan and you guys....."

Interesting how others see us. Out of interest, how do we fare in L1 when comparing our overall wage budget to our income/home gates? Is there a correlation between these and, say, the top third of our league?

Quote Originally Posted by sawmiller View Post

At the end of an online Zoom call, a colleague commented today about how well the Millers are doing and then said something like:

"Well, it's okay for the big wage/well moneyed clubs like Wigan and you guys....."

Interesting how others see us. Out of interest, how do we fare in L1 when comparing our overall wage budget to our income/home gates? Is there a correlation between these and, say, the top third of our league?
    It's all relative. To us Wigan, Sunderland, SW, Ipswich and probably a few others are 'big' wage clubs. To others like Accrington, Shrewsbury, AFC Wimbledon and a few others we are 'big'. Don't forget we have spent 50% of our recent history in The Championship.

I've always been under the impression that we've had a high wage budget for the lower leagues. Especially the year we were docked points. The contracts given out during those seasons were, high just to secure and the add ons wieghed heavily in the players favour!

The contracts nowadays reflect our yoyo position I'd imagine. The players earn more in the championship than in League one and that is correct and that's the reason we're a successful club at being finacially stable

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    I've always been under the impression that we've had a high wage budget for the lower leagues. Especially the year we were docked points. The contracts given out during those seasons were, high just to secure and the add ons wieghed heavily in the players favour!

The contracts nowadays reflect our yoyo position I'd imagine. The players earn more in the championship than in League one and that is correct and that's the reason we're a successful club at being finacially stable
    Makes you wonder how financially viable we'd be with a longer stay in the Championship - whether we'd have higher outgoings and not enough income to sustain it.

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/l...ne/attendances

Currently, our home gates for L1 sit just a fraction below average, in 9th overall. I'd guess, and can only be a guess, that our wage bill is probably close to matching our position in the average home gate/income - in which case, our current position is a huge endorsement of the way the club is run and the management

Makes you wonder how financially viable we'd be with a longer stay in the Championship - whether we'd have higher outgoings and not enough income to sustain it.

Currently, our home gates for L1 sit just a fraction below average, in 9th overall. I'd guess, and can only be a guess, that our wage bill is probably close to matching our position in the average home gate/income - in which case, our current position is a huge endorsement of the way the club is run and the management
    There's an an old adage in there somewhere. I can't quite remember what it is but it's something to do with Barry McGuigan fighting Mike Tyson?

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    There's an an old adage in there somewhere. I can't quite remember what it is but it's something to do with Barry McGuigan fighting Mike Tyson?
    ...or in our case, Barry ducking, diving and definitely punching above his weight...

I was under the impression wlfrom the financial books that we were averaging 12 million In the championship and 7 million In league 1. Vaguely remember wage bill in the champ being 7 million ish. I'm sure someone has the figures. How this compares to other league 1 clubs then I would guess theres got to be 6-8 clubs with higher wage bill

Quote Originally Posted by caytonmiller View Post
    I was under the impression wlfrom the financial books that we were averaging 12 million In the championship and 7 million In league 1. Vaguely remember wage bill in the champ being 7 million ish. I'm sure someone has the figures. How this compares to other league 1 clubs then I would guess theres got to be 6-8 clubs with higher wage bill
    Last year in the champ we were circa £5m with only Wycombe lower to compare Barnsley have just published their financial results for last season and their wage bill was £14m up from £11m the previous season. By the way, their losses were over £4m
    Our wage bill in League 1 is circa £3.5m we will just be in the top 10 in terms of wage bills.

Quote Originally Posted by HensonsPRman View Post
    Last year in the champ we were circa £5m with only Wycombe lower to compare Barnsley have just published their financial results for last season and their wage bill was £14m up from £11m the previous season. By the way, their losses were over £4m
    Our wage bill in League 1 is circa £3.5m we will just be in the top 10 in terms of wage bills.
    So Barnsley,s success under Valerian Ismael wasn't just down to their successful high pressing game then

The overwhelming difference between the leagues is the finance from TV companies, I beleive that the difference between the Championship and League 1 is £4m. It's not only the equal share that's given to each team in each league but the ammount expected from televised matches.
    Rotherham are unlikely to get as much coverage as say WBA, Boro or Derby. Should a club like ours invest in better players to attract the cameras to offset the investment? I fear that the door is already closed on that one with relegated clubs and TV s favourite characters getting top billing. Could the TV companies give the same amount of airtime to each club? Of course they could but ir won't happen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast