+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Promotion... You're having a laugh...

Promotion... You're having a laugh...

Well here we find ourselves desperately clinging on to the final play off spot, having once again failed to kill a team off. Chesterfield were there for the taking, following a drop in their performances.
    Enter Notts County, having had the lions share of the first 45 minutes, indeed going in at half time with a 1 goal advantage, the same old cracks cost us dearly in the second 45 minutes, piss poor defending gifted McGuire a brace, whilst a 90th minute penalty killed off any hope of salvaging a point. I was as bemused at the decision to sack Ardley as I was bemused by the appointment of Burchnall... but I do not see any complaints from Solihull Moors...

Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffmagpiesback View Post
    Well here we find ourselves desperately clinging on to the final play off spot, having once again failed to kill a team off. Chesterfield were there for the taking, following a drop in their performances.
    Enter Notts County, having had the lions share of the first 45 minutes, indeed going in at half time with a 1 goal advantage, the same old cracks cost us dearly in the second 45 minutes, piss poor defending gifted McGuire a brace, whilst a 90th minute penalty killed off any hope of salvaging a point. I was as bemused at the decision to sack Ardley as I was bemused by the appointment of Burchnall... but I do not see any complaints from Solihull Moors...
    Welcome back mate. This season has seen us once again fail to address our frailties. We have been crying out for a Bishop type midfielder, but what do we get ? some 5ft 6in on loan from Sheff Und. Also, although Wootton has scored a few goals he very seldom appears in the box when crosses come in. If its not on a plate he doesn't want to know...We need a striker who can anticipate where to be at certain times and Wootton is no that one.
    Rodrigues is another of those who flatters to deceive, i would get rid of both of them in the summer.. Has for Burchnall, pretty football does not win you promotion. If by October we are still underachieving then get rid...

Keep living up to your name! I think Ardley had to go but, results wise, I do not see IB as an improvement to get us promoted.

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    Welcome back mate. This season has seen us once again fail to address our frailties. We have been crying out for a Bishop type midfielder, but what do we get ? some 5ft 6in on loan from Sheff Und. Also, although Wootton has scored a few goals he very seldom appears in the box when crosses come in. If its not on a plate he doesn't want to know...We need a striker who can anticipate where to be at certain times and Wootton is no that one.
    Rodrigues is another of those who flatters to deceive, i would get rid of both of them in the summer.. Has for Burchnall, pretty football does not win you promotion. If by October we are still underachieving then get rid...
    Careful, Laddo will be on your case again.

Quote Originally Posted by uysapie View Post
    Careful, Laddo will be on your case again.
    I would imagine he has been sedated in some secure unit.. Those places only let you out during daylight hours..

I would imagine he has been sedated in some secure unit.. Those places only let you out during daylight hours..
    Now there's a thought

October will be next season, although we'll still be in this league at that point

An interesting post POMB with several good points.

I was firmly against Neil Ardley's sacking because he was a good manager, and he's showing it now. However, once IB was appointed, I thought, let's get behind IB, another good manager.
    The interesting thing will be how the owners react when they realise their Plan A isn't delivering promotion. So I would like to see two changes.
    1. The style of play is adjusted to be more physical against the bigger teams, requiring adjustments in the recruitment process.
    2. Recruitment should also focus a little more on the season ahead. If the club takes too many players with potential rather than immediate impact, then the chances of promotion reduce due to the inconsistent players with potential.
    I've liked most of what the new owners/manager have done, but I was surprised when we took the two players from our rivals, Chesterfield. I haven't seen either of them play, so I can't comment on them, but when we get beaten by Chesterfield, who were missing eight players, and we have our strongest team out, we need to learn something.

I was only listening on the radio and I seen the highlights but I think its a bit rich to say we had the lions share of the first 45 minutes. We had a one goal lead and at best it was even.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    I was only listening on the radio and I seen the highlights but I think its a bit rich to say we had the lions share of the first 45 minutes. We had a one goal lead and at best it was even.
    Second half (when Ches scored three) was when the glaring inadequacies in our one and only plan ("A") were exploited by a more canny manager. A high agressive press and a push and shove in midfield inevitababbly leads to our goals against tally, and Ardley couldn't teach the players or find a tactic to combat it either.

Maybe if we could introduce Knight on one wing opposite Nemane on the other it might stop the enemy midfield advancing and supply us with daring crosses to Big Sam and Wooters - we could call it Plan "B"!

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast