+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Promotion... You're having a laugh...

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I can't quite agree with that. My interpretation of what you've said is that our owners are happy to see us as an upper end non-league club for the foreseeable future, where we might have a one in six chance in the playoffs.
    Your interpretation isn't correct. I'm sure the owners started last season and this season hoping we could win the league, and I'm sure they will try again in the future if we don't get promoted this year. But of course nobody is guaranteed success, even moneybags Wrexham.

In fact, I think the owners' position is precisely as you've stated here:

We don't want reckless gambles with our future, but we don't want to accept that this is now our level. Hopefully there is something in between.
    I would imagine they are a little disappointed with our league position right now, as they probably were when they decided not to renew Ardley's contract, but I'm sure any decisions on future wage budgets and managerial support or changes will be - as you've said - considered and balanced rather than reckless.
    Last edited by jackal2; 05-03-2022 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    I would imagine they are a little disappointed with our league position right now, as they probably were when they decided not to renew Ardley's contract, but I'm sure any decisions on future wage budgets and managerial support or changes will be - as you've said - considered and balanced rather than reckless.
    I'm fine with that if it leads to promotion in the not too distant future.

Remember how many yearned for 'stability'? My concern is that approach will lead to the stability of us becoming a fixture in the National League.

I'm prepared to give him longer, but I'd like to see signs that we are improving.

Do you honestly think we look better than we did a year ago?
    Honestly - yes ,

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    Honestly - yes ,
    So I keep reading that we have great owners, our recruitment is much better, we have a talented young coach who plays stylish football, and we are attractive to watch. If all this is true, why aren't we higher in the league table?

If the answer is "it's hard to get out of this division and some of our rivals spend more", to me that's simply accepting mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    There is no way Burchnall will drop either Wootton or Rodrigues, as he thinks they are both amazing. Neither has performed well since the rumours of some EFL clubs being interested in them..
    Both have no doubt had their agents in their ear holes, you can see it in their performances just recently

So I keep reading that we have great owners, our recruitment is much better, we have a talented young coach who plays stylish football, and we are attractive to watch. If all this is true, why aren't we higher in the league table?

If the answer is "it's hard to get out of this division and some of our rivals spend more", to me that's simply accepting mediocrity.
    To me it's simply accepting reality. It's also true that nothing is guaranteed in football whatever you spend. We've been round the track enough times to know that a 'top wage bill' and 'marquee signings' don't guarantee success and can often come back to bite hard when the accounts need to be balanced. In fact the one time it did buy us success in the Munto season, the whole thing was an unsustainable fraud and we ended up back where we started, only worse off.

It's a fact that it is difficult to get out of this division because there are only two promotion places, and some of our rivals have indeed spent more so that might give them an advantage in the short-term - we shall see - but in the case of Chesterfield and Stockport it might also come back to bite them financially in the future, because they've not got Hollywood owners who can keep on spending or cushion them against failure.

The current owners of our club have actually identified and invested (sensibly) in some good players since they arrived, have given managers space to do their work, have communicated well with fans without demanding the spotlight, and have ensured the club is financially secure after years of turmoil. That's not accepting mediocrity, its aiming to move forward while living within your means.

Should we be a bit higher in the league, ahead of the likes of Solihull and Borehamwood? Yes probably. I think the owners would say so themselves, but one of the reasons those two clubs have got where they are now is by building patiently and sensibly for a number of years. A major reason why they're level or slightly ahead of us right now is because we didn't do this under previous regimes, hence why we're in the National League at all.
    Last edited by jackal2; 06-03-2022 at 12:38 AM.

To me it's simply accepting reality. It's also true that nothing is guaranteed in football whatever you spend. We've been round the track enough times to know that a 'top wage bill' and 'marquee signings' don't guarantee success and can often come back to bite hard when the accounts need to be balanced. In fact the one time it did buy us success in the Munto season, the whole thing was an unsustainable fraud and we ended up back where we started, only worse off.

It's a fact that it is difficult to get out of this division because there are only two promotion places, and some of our rivals have indeed spent more so that might give them an advantage in the short-term - we shall see - but in the case of Chesterfield and Stockport it might also come back to bite them financially in the future, because they've not got Hollywood owners who can keep on spending or cushion them against failure.

The current owners of our club have actually identified and invested (sensibly) in some good players since they arrived, have given managers space to do their work, have communicated well with fans without demanding the spotlight, and have ensured the club is financially secure after years of turmoil. That's not accepting mediocrity, its aiming to move forward while living within your means.

Should we be a bit higher in the league, ahead of the likes of Solihull and Borehamwood? Yes probably. I think the owners would say so themselves, but one of the reasons those two clubs have got where they are now is by building patiently and sensibly for a number of years. A major reason why they're level or slightly ahead of us right now is because we didn't do this under previous regimes, hence why we're in the National League at all.
    How many years do you want to give us to get out of this league?

Quote Originally Posted by uysapie View Post
    How many years do you want to give us to get out of this league?
    As soon as possible. This year if we can. It may seem unlikely right now, but it's not impossible.

Frankly it doesn't matter how many years you, I or anyone else states as their 'limit'. We've been down the route of three-year, five-year plans or whatever before and it's meaningless.

What's more meaningful is that a well-run club with financial stability has better foundations to achieve success and then sustain that progress than a club that does not. What we need to do is keep challenging at the top end of league until our 'moment' comes, be that as champions or play-off winners, and this will dictated by the huge number of variables that dictate success in football, including skill and luck. Sometimes promotion can come down to the width of a post or a dodgy penalty. You can't just write out a cheque or point to the size of your club and expect it.
    Last edited by jackal2; 06-03-2022 at 01:39 AM.

As soon as possible. This year if we can. It may seem unlikely right now, but it's not impossible.

Frankly it doesn't matter how many years you, I or anyone else states as their 'limit'. We've been down the route of three-year, five-year plans or whatever before and it's meaningless.

What's more meaningful is that a well-run club with financial stability has better foundations to achieve success and then sustain that progress than a club that does not. What we need to do is keep challenging at the top end of league until our 'moment' comes, be that as champions or play-off winners, and this will dictated by the huge number of variables that dictate success in football, including skill and luck. Sometimes promotion can come down to the width of a post or a dodgy penalty. You can't just write out a cheque or point to the size of your club and expect it.
    It matters if you haven't got many years left to live. At the moment, I do not see much ambition to get out of this league, merely an acceptance of where we are. IB will not get us promoted.

There are a multitude (more anyway) of better teams in this division now than there was when we first arrived courtesy of Mr Ardley (very nice man) I don't believe limiting your investments to what you can afford is mediocrity probably more a dose of reality. In my eyes I always thought it would be a hard ask to go up this season seeing as IB lost some integral players from his squad of last season. It would have been a bonus if we went up , but as I have previously said i think the real push will be next season when he has the fully assembled squad of his choice. By this i mean he will have jettisoned some of the players he feels are surplus to requirements and gave his list of desired positions that need filling by what type of player , so that Radar can search and destroy , i mean search and acquire the desired players of said profiles.
    I also don't think we are out of the mix yet even after the Two disappointing results we've just stumbled across. I think there is still enough in this team and the manager to beat Cheaterfield Stockport Solihull Dagenham and Bromley, as well as the Dover's of this world.
    i just hope IB doesn't fall into the same trap has Ardley thinking some players are to superior to be dropped.

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast