+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: WTF is going on?

Quote Originally Posted by StensonRam View Post
    Ramondo probably
    Indeed...thank you. Always spoke sense.

Along with me, I always talked sense

Over the years our record with 'wealthy' owners is somewhat checkered! Seems to start well with lots of promise for future success only to end in trouble! No doubt they've all been well intentioned at first but then they seem to lose track of reality!
    On the other hand the Yanks spent nowt and the footie was pretty crap under NC but they left a solid and stable club! Food for thought!

Quote Originally Posted by macstheman View Post
    On the other hand the Yanks spent nowt and the footie was pretty crap under NC but they left a solid and stable club! Food for thought!
    NC left us a very good squad that he couldn't get the best out of. Schteeeeve did. I have always felt that Nigel got stuck in a siege mentality and couldn't get out of it. If only he had dared being a little more adventurous in his tactics.....

I was thinking more from the point of view of the healthy situation off the field! NC deffo developed an equally solid set up on the field but, as you say MA, unfortunately he didn't get the performances to match!
    Overall, financial prudence didn't stop the development on the pitch!

What might have been!

I never was a fan of Mel the owner (nothing personal with this) from the start, and cringed at his "One of our own" and "Clever businessman" accolades that fans persistently pedalled out whenever anything he did was questioned. He had lots of managers he could have supported, but sacked them over his own ego (Pearson), "the Derby way" (Clement), or no reason whatsoever (Maclaren part 2). He takes an expensive punt on Lampard - yes it might have worked, but a punt it was, with loan players forming the spine of our squad, then hires Cocu to pick up the remains, with no cash to invest. He then sacks Cocu, after reasonably successful season, due to a bad run of form following injury to Beilik and no squad depth, and takes a punt on someone with no managerial experience, who then finishes with the worst finish to a season that I can remember - akin to "that" season. We then find out, that he has ignored his inexperienced manager's calls and left him to face the public (and great credit to Rooney for keeping his decency).
    This is all without considering the financial and legal punts he's taken which are already well covered in previous posts.
    The man is a a failed businessman, whether he remains to be "one of our own" will rely on his future actions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramshank72 View Post
    I never was a fan of Mel the owner (nothing personal with this) from the start, and cringed at his "One of our own" and "Clever businessman" accolades that fans persistently pedalled out whenever anything he did was questioned. He had lots of managers he could have supported, but sacked them over his own ego (Pearson), "the Derby way" (Clement), or no reason whatsoever (Maclaren part 2). He takes an expensive punt on Lampard - yes it might have worked, but a punt it was, with loan players forming the spine of our squad, then hires Cocu to pick up the remains, with no cash to invest. He then sacks Cocu, after reasonably successful season, due to a bad run of form following injury to Beilik and no squad depth, and takes a punt on someone with no managerial experience, who then finishes with the worst finish to a season that I can remember - akin to "that" season. We then find out, that he has ignored his inexperienced manager's calls and left him to face the public (and great credit to Rooney for keeping his decency).
    This is all without considering the financial and legal punts he's taken which are already well covered in previous posts.
    The man is a a failed businessman, whether he remains to be "one of our own" will rely on his future actions.
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing, Ramshank...and I’ll readily accept that, as a one time supporter and defender of Morris, I was one of those to be proved wrong.
    Why though would you have ‘cringed’ at the ‘clever businessman’ and ‘one of our own’ descriptions? I know it hasn’t worked, but why is the idea of a self made multi millionaire who was an actual genuine fan of the club so bad?
    We’ve seen owners from the Middle East (Man. City), the U.S. (Liverpool), Thailand (Leicester) and Russia (Chelsea) do brilliantly well...I’m just not sure why investment from a local owner (and supporter) was such a bad idea...in theory of course.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    I’m not sure that last bit is true, Swale. I certainly did, you too, but I do remember being at odds with Rats, Bloomer and the other guy - the best mod there’s ever been on this site imo, but who’s name I now forget - right from the get go, and it is an eternal source of shame that Rats would appear to have been right and I was wrong.
    Hate to say it ......... nah I don't....... told you so 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Best moderator I think you mean was Afgoon ..... two weeks imploded and spent the next five years crying!!!!! 🙈

I agree, Afgoon was the man.

RELOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    I agree, Afgoon was the man.

RELOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I think the problem was he ..... ermmmmm couldn't load 😱🙈😱🙈

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)