+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Referees

Referees

I am sure there have been posts about referees before, but after the display by Kevin Friend on Thursday evening, I make no excuse for starting another.

I qualified as a referee when I was teaching , so to a degree I have some sympathy towards them. However, I am beginning to strongly think that there is corruption in the game we love. Our mutual Friend against Leeds was dire to say the least. He was inconsistent, letting some blatant fouls occur without turning a hair, but flashing yellow cards for other offences,

The sending off has probably cost Wolves millions in lost revenue, when in fact Raul was just involved in a fifty fifty collision. I had the feeling at the game that he would be in trouble, but having watched the replay numerous times, he clearly slowed down as contact was made. Running at that speed you can not just stop dead. Can you imagine the crowd, or the Managers reaction, had Raul pulled out of the challenge.

There is a ridiculous rule where a second yellow can not be looked at by VAR. Who dreams these rules up? It is like the late flags for offside. Bamford for Leeds injured himself chasing a ball that was clearly offside, and Sa who had to make a challenge could also have been injured. If the flag had have immediately been raised, injury would have been prevented.

When we were in Europe the standard of referees was excellent, no favouring one side or the other. No pampering to the bid SIX. We have witnessed several times this season already, decisions not just against us, but against other sides outside the top six. Something needs to be done and done fast before the game is ruined. Will anything happen, will it HELL. As long as the FA have their favourites at the top, playing in Europe on the TV, they will be quite happy in their ivory towers.

Yes Abbo, we threw away a ***** 3 points and the referee certainly didn't help.

My worry is not this season but next. The chance of European football next season has all but disappeared. I think we could lose at least a couple of key players, Sa and Neves for instance. Both were playing regular European football before joining Wolves. Podence also is really starting to shine this season and all 3 have all have Champions League experience with former clubs.

In the case of Ruben Neves we can hardly grumble if he wants to play at a higher level, he's given us 5 wonderful years.

Why is the word v I t a l banned?

It does appear at times that there is a refereeing conspiracy to tilt the game towards the FA and media favorites. However I don't think it is a conscious action by the refs but of course it could be a subliminal knee jerk action which is just as harmful. How does it get fixed? No bloody idea but there is no doubt continental referees are far superior to ours so there is an answer somewhere.

The referee was truly dreadful on Friday but he didn't screw up our defending or stick the ball in the net, that giveaway loss was all down to us.

S&G, no idea why the word ***** is banned, can't even imagine why!

I agree with you Abbo. Nottm Forest v Liverpool yesterday, Liverpool get awarded a goal that was clearly offside and Forest are denied a penalty that would probably have been awarded if it was in Liverpool's favour.

Corrupt P.L. referees ? Abbo' , few could blame you for thinking as you do and certainly not me. Having watched Friend's performance on Friday, I ,too, found it hard to believe that an experienced P.L. referee could perform with such glaring incompetence as to strongly suggest bias. Unfortunately, refereeing standards have been in decline in recent years, probably not helped by the introduction of new rules and/or the over-complicated changes to those that previously existed.
    Last edited by GrizzledWolf; 22-03-2022 at 09:54 AM.

All of the above is spot on. Is ***** banned S&E?

F*** me! So it is.....how ridiculous

Football has a major problem in that it is run by idiots with no common sense or the ability to think things through. I hope the proposed regulator is introduced and works as it should do. Time to sort the game out methinks!

Referees eh?

If that was a penalty today the game is in trouble.

Sa and Watkins going for the ball, Watkins got there first then made damn sure he "collided " with Sa as he realised the ball was going out and then went down screaming.

Disappointed in Watkins but hey, today's game innit?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)