+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Match Time Revisited ITV4

Match Time Revisited ITV4

So ITV4 have moved on from The Big Match to Match Time with Elton Welsby.

Am I the only one who doesn't remember this programme?

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post

Remember the “Big Match” really well. All the big games from the 80s were on there. Chelsea 6-0, Norwich 4-1 etc!

I definitely dont remember it gf and yet I remember The Big Match Revisited very well. UTM

No I've never heard of "Match Time" either. Perhaps they've just added this new name for this series of shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronners View Post
    I definitely dont remember it gf and yet I remember The Big Match Revisited very well. UTM
    From Elton Welsby's Wikipedia.

In January 1978 he joined Granada Television, working on its football programme The Kick Off Match and presented its 1980s successors Match Night (if shown on a Saturday) and Match Time (if broadcast on a Sunday) until their demise in 1983.

That's why I don't remember it, it was on Granada.

I used to be able to get Anglia TV starting in the 70's Sunday afternoon highlights Ipswich were always on had a good side then.

What about Match of the Day?

Only does Premiership so should really be Premiership Match of the Day

This topic jolted the old memories and I clearly recall listening to Keith Macklin on a Sunday afternoon, considering I was 8 at the time it's like it was yesterday.

I've done a bit of digging and come up with this lot. I never realised Danny Blanchflower was the original commentator. I'm sure this will also jolt a few memories for some on here.

Yorkshire TV Football Highlights 1968-1983
    Yorkshire football highlights were broadcast under a variety of different guises over the years; 'Soccer', Sunday Sport, Football Special and The Big Game. When the various ITV regional stations were due to begin screening regular Sunday afternoon football on 11th August 1968* Yorkshire Television had only been on air for a fortnight, but industrial unrest wiped out the opening weekend's coverage. YTV's camera crew were eventually assigned to cover their first televised football match on 25th August 1968 at Bramall Lane for Sheffield United v Millwall, Colin Addison scored the only goal in a 1-0 victory for the Blades.

*ABC Television had provided a weekend commercial service for both the Midlands and North from 1956 - July 1968, they began producing a football highlights show called World of Soccer that ran for three seasons...
    1965/66 | 1966/67 | 1967/68

Yorkshire football commentators & presenters
    The original YTV commentator was ex-professional footballer Danny Blanchflower, a very fine player in his day with Barnsley, Aston Villa and Tottenham Hotspur who had also captained Northern Ireland to the Quarter-Finals of the World Cup in 1958, but it soon became obvious to Yorkshire viewers that he wasn't so useful with the microphone as he had been with the ball and by the end of the 1968/69 season YTV had 'let him go'*. His replacement was Keith Macklin, already well known in the region having appeared on BBC North as a newsreader during the first half of the 1960's, YTV had possibly employed Macklin as a Rugby commentator as he had described Rugby League matches for the BBC's North of England home service in the 1950's & '60's as well as presenting televised Rugby Union in 1967, nevertheless he became the voice of Yorkshire football from 1969 until the early stages of the 1976/77 season and he was also a member of the ITV commentary team that covered the 1974 World Cup in West Germany as well as voicing YTV's "The Indoor League" series. In 1982 Macklin joined Red Rose Radio where he continued to work until shortly before his death in 2009 aged 78, he had made a brief return to ITV earlier that decade voicing reports for "The Goal Rush".

Replacing Macklin in 1976 came 31 year old Martin Tyler who had previously worked behind the scenes on LWT's The Big Match and On the Ball from August 1973 before taking up a place in the gantry on behalf of Southern Television. Whilst with Yorkshire, Tyler commentated at the 1978 World Cup finals in Argentina and eventually became recognised as the network's no.2 behind Brian Moore. When Tyler left YTV to join Granada for the start of 1981/82 season a 39 year old John Helm took over, Helm was a born and bred Yorkshireman and Bradford Park Avenue supporter who had worked for BBC Radio Leeds before joining the national BBC Radio Sports department, his party piece was the ability to rattle through the names of all 92 league clubs in record breaking time (around 26 seconds). Helm continued to commentate for Yorkshire and ITV for many years and also worked for Channel 5 from 2004 to 2007.

The presenter of Yorkshire football highlights from 1969 was Fred Dineage, chiefly associated outside the region with Southern TV's children's programme How, although he also popped up hosting the likes of World of Sport and Anglia's quiz show Gambit. Towards the end of regular regional highlights, ex-player Derek Dougan was employed by YTV as a post match summariser and sometimes co-commentator (Like Jimmy Greaves at ATV, Dougan had not served any club in the region in which he now worked, but this did at least grant him an air of impartiality), he also presented the programme when it moved to a Saturday night slot in 1980/81 as Dineage would end up fronting TVS highlights, John Helm then moved into the presenters seat for 1981/82. Following the relegation of the region's last remaining top flight clubs, Yorkshire's football coverage was severely cut for the final season of regional highlights in 1982/83.
    Last edited by Brin; 26-03-2022 at 01:31 PM.

From Elton Welsby's Wikipedia.

In January 1978 he joined Granada Television, working on its football programme The Kick Off Match and presented its 1980s successors Match Night (if shown on a Saturday) and Match Time (if broadcast on a Sunday) until their demise in 1983.

That's why I don't remember it, it was on Granada.
    Ahhh that would explain it. UTM

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    This topic jolted the old memories and I clearly recall listening to Keith Macklin on a Sunday afternoon, considering I was 8 at the time it's like it was yesterday.

I've done a bit of digging and come up with this lot. I never realised Danny Blanchflower was the original commentator. I'm sure this will also jolt a few memories for some on here.

Yorkshire TV Football Highlights 1968-1983
    Yorkshire football highlights were broadcast under a variety of different guises over the years; 'Soccer', Sunday Sport, Football Special and The Big Game. When the various ITV regional stations were due to begin screening regular Sunday afternoon football on 11th August 1968* Yorkshire Television had only been on air for a fortnight, but industrial unrest wiped out the opening weekend's coverage. YTV's camera crew were eventually assigned to cover their first televised football match on 25th August 1968 at Bramall Lane for Sheffield United v Millwall, Colin Addison scored the only goal in a 1-0 victory for the Blades.

*ABC Television had provided a weekend commercial service for both the Midlands and North from 1956 - July 1968, they began producing a football highlights show called World of Soccer that ran for three seasons...
    1965/66 | 1966/67 | 1967/68

Yorkshire football commentators & presenters
    The original YTV commentator was ex-professional footballer Danny Blanchflower, a very fine player in his day with Barnsley, Aston Villa and Tottenham Hotspur who had also captained Northern Ireland to the Quarter-Finals of the World Cup in 1958, but it soon became obvious to Yorkshire viewers that he wasn't so useful with the microphone as he had been with the ball and by the end of the 1968/69 season YTV had 'let him go'*. His replacement was Keith Macklin, already well known in the region having appeared on BBC North as a newsreader during the first half of the 1960's, YTV had possibly employed Macklin as a Rugby commentator as he had described Rugby League matches for the BBC's North of England home service in the 1950's & '60's as well as presenting televised Rugby Union in 1967, nevertheless he became the voice of Yorkshire football from 1969 until the early stages of the 1976/77 season and he was also a member of the ITV commentary team that covered the 1974 World Cup in West Germany as well as voicing YTV's "The Indoor League" series. In 1982 Macklin joined Red Rose Radio where he continued to work until shortly before his death in 2009 aged 78, he had made a brief return to ITV earlier that decade voicing reports for "The Goal Rush".

Replacing Macklin in 1976 came 31 year old Martin Tyler who had previously worked behind the scenes on LWT's The Big Match and On the Ball from August 1973 before taking up a place in the gantry on behalf of Southern Television. Whilst with Yorkshire, Tyler commentated at the 1978 World Cup finals in Argentina and eventually became recognised as the network's no.2 behind Brian Moore. When Tyler left YTV to join Granada for the start of 1981/82 season a 39 year old John Helm took over, Helm was a born and bred Yorkshireman and Bradford Park Avenue supporter who had worked for BBC Radio Leeds before joining the national BBC Radio Sports department, his party piece was the ability to rattle through the names of all 92 league clubs in record breaking time (around 26 seconds). Helm continued to commentate for Yorkshire and ITV for many years and also worked for Channel 5 from 2004 to 2007.

The presenter of Yorkshire football highlights from 1969 was Fred Dineage, chiefly associated outside the region with Southern TV's children's programme How, although he also popped up hosting the likes of World of Sport and Anglia's quiz show Gambit. Towards the end of regular regional highlights, ex-player Derek Dougan was employed by YTV as a post match summariser and sometimes co-commentator (Like Jimmy Greaves at ATV, Dougan had not served any club in the region in which he now worked, but this did at least grant him an air of impartiality), he also presented the programme when it moved to a Saturday night slot in 1980/81 as Dineage would end up fronting TVS highlights, John Helm then moved into the presenters seat for 1981/82. Following the relegation of the region's last remaining top flight clubs, Yorkshire's football coverage was severely cut for the final season of regional highlights in 1982/83.
    Martin Tyler still going strong today and as good as ever at 76. Always a pleasure to watch a game when he's commentating.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast