+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attendance records to date

Attendance records to date

When we played our promotion winning game to go from league 2 to league 1, we had an attendance of 8500. We beat Morecambe 4-1.
    I think in the same situation now, we would possibly double that!

Good call there not that sure why the attendance was that low day but your right not sure about double but definitely 5 figures.

Quote Originally Posted by chedozie View Post
    not that sure why the attendance was that low
    It didn't help that Radio Nottingham was telling fans without tickets not to go because the game was sold out!

Quote Originally Posted by kill_the_drum View Post
    When we played our promotion winning game to go from league 2 to league 1, we had an attendance of 8500. We beat Morecambe 4-1.
    I think in the same situation now, we would possibly double that!
    1997/98, the Allardyce championship season, we knew we'd definitively secure promotion if we beat Colchester at home on a Saturday (3pm).
    The attendance was 6 284, I was one of them and we drew 0-0. We had the same opportunity the following week v Orient, plus the chance to secure the Championship as well. I had to miss that one, we won 1-0 in front of 8,383.

We could have clinched promotion to the top flight at home against Watford in 1981. Turned out we'd have still needed a point had we won, but even so, the crowd that day was a shockingly low 10,345, less than half of the number who'd watched Notts secure promotion to the 2nd tier just 8 years earlier, during which time.....

I remember the Orient game and the match winning goal from an unlikely scorer well.

It wasn't often we got 8 through the gate.

Lower-league gates seem to be up everywhere. Maybe it's a post-lockdown reaction. Whatever the reason, it's great to see.

I remember some fans (particularly of other clubs) saying our gates would dwindle year after year in the NL as fans lost interest.

There are six big clubs at this level ourselves, Wrexham, Cheaterfurlough, Stockport, Southend and Grimsby. It's the none league equivalent of the premier league big six.

It's interesting to note that there are only four teams in League Two that get higher attendances than us and that's Bradford, Swindon, Bristol Rovers and Tranmere.

The ironic thing for us is when we were bouncing around League One and League Two going from crisis to crisis we probably did not appreciate how low we would sink. So a spell in non-league might in the long run give the club a boost as we might get higher attendances when we do get back to those levels as we will appreciate it more and be a more stable club. Lincoln for example average 8,723 in LG1. There are seven clubs at that level that get over 10,000 on average. So that looks like it's increased since we were last at that level, but then you have the likes of Sheff Wed, Ipswich, Bolton, Portsmouth and Charlton in there.

It seems like League One and the National League have a good share of big clubs in them that have fallen from historically higher levels and are floating around ready to get back to where they belong.
    Last edited by MAD_MAGPIE; 04-04-2022 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    There are six big clubs at this level ourselves, Wrexham, Cheaterfurlough, Stockport, Southend and Grimsby. It's the none league equivalent of the premier league big six.

It's interesting to note that there are only four teams in League Two that get higher attendances than us and that's Bradford, Swindon, Bristol Rovers and Tranmere.

The ironic thing for us is when we were bouncing around League One and League Two going from crisis to crisis we probably did not appreciate how low we would sink. So a spell in non-league might in the long run give the club a boost as we might get higher attendances when we do get back to those levels as we will appreciate it more and be a more stable club. Lincoln for example average 8,723 in LG1. There are seven clubs at that level that get over 10,000 on average. So that looks like it's increased since we were last at that level, but then you have the likes of Sheff Wed, Ipswich, Bolton, Portsmouth and Charlton in there.

It seems like League One and the National League have a good share of big clubs in them that have fallen from historically higher levels and are floating around ready to get back to where they belong.

I love how you forgot easily the biggest club in League 1. Sunderland are averaging the best part of 9k more than any other L1 side.

Ahhh Sunderland A.F.C. averaging 30,000 crowds in the 3rd tier and they are in a slightly worse position than Notts in their league, no chance of automatic promotion, good chance of playoffs but not guaranteed.

Their message board is surely the best read of all? They must mention their stadium, attendance, budget on a speed of light, head spinning basis! Maybe they've not been run well as a club in higher leagues for a long time and are now paying the price whilst trying to get on their feet again.

If it's anywhere near half as good as the Netflix documentary on the club I might take a look.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast