+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kalvin Phillips

Kalvin Phillips

Are there any clubs out there that are NOT working on a plan to sign Phillips? I barely dare open any sports website at the moment for fear of another 'exclusive' on the latest swoop for our (arguably) best player.

Maybe if it would easier if the meedja just reported on clubs that weren't in the race: Brentford, Yeovil and Fleetwood.

Oh no wait, breaking news, Yeovil will be tabling a bid for £2500 plus use of their tea lady on Tuesdays; you heard it here first.

I can confirm that Dungannon Swifts will not be involved in any bidding war

I can't understand why we haven't bumped up his salary and extended his contract. Especially after surviving the first year in the prem.

that really is just poor business on our part. I realize that KP might not have wanted to do that but suspect that's not the case since he's born and bred Leeds. Once he was a key Three Lion he should have been the highest paid player.... period.

we would be in such a better position to negotiate.

I think the surprise of the transfer window this off season will be Grimsby signing him

We definitely bumped his salary when we got promoted as we did for a few players (Bamford, Ayling, Cooper and Dallas I believe) - sure he is on very good money. His new contract in 2019 had a clause dealing with promotion.

Allegedly the top earners in the squad earn between 70 and 80k per week and he is probably close to the bottom end of that.

The media comparisons are to others in the England squad where no doubt many earn significantly more than 100k not sure KP is completely motivated by money - if he moves suspect it will be to win trophies.

Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post
    I can't understand why we haven't bumped up his salary and extended his contract. Especially after surviving the first year in the prem.

that really is just poor business on our part. I realize that KP might not have wanted to do that but suspect that's not the case since he's born and bred Leeds. Once he was a key Three Lion he should have been the highest paid player.... period.

I think the surprise of the transfer window this off season will be Grimsby signing him
    There are a number of rumours, stories, pronouncements to the effect that Philips is currently on £25k/week, a deal signed off in the year we got promotion. I suspect you will find that the likes of Roberts, Casilla and Costa are all being paid (a lot) more, despite their questionable contributions (if any). Add to that the likelihood that all the acquisitions since the end of last season are also paid more, it does beg the question why? Are the club taking advantage of Philips oft-stated desire to play for Leeds (and to continue doing so), or are they just incompetent (answers on a postcard to Mr A Radrizzani (cc Mr A Kinnear), c/o LUFC, Elland Road, Leeds LS11 0ES)

Seen plenty of rumours out there suggesting instead of having a high fixed wage, the club has incentivised contracts with bonuses such as relegation survival, final league position and all that sort of stuff.

All in all, I still think having one of our best, if not the best player on a basic 25k a month (if true) in football terms is not a good advertisement/ enticement for new recruits.

Quote Originally Posted by LeedsFTW View Post
    Seen plenty of rumours out there suggesting instead of having a high fixed wage, the club has incentivised contracts with bonuses such as relegation survival, final league position and all that sort of stuff.

All in all, I still think having one of our best, if not the best player on a basic 25k a month (if true) in football terms is not a good advertisement/ enticement for new recruits.
    If true indeed - closest you may get to knowing is to look what his agent Hayden Evans has said publically about it. Doesn’t seem anything in those to suggest he is paid so little. Think he may have been on 25k in the championship but that contact deal with what happened upon promotion too.

Unless you hear it from Kinnear or Phillips it is hard to say what actually is in the contract but would be v v v surprised if he was only on 25kpw

Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post

Can't bump a players salary every time they have a good season, they sign a contract for a reason

Quote Originally Posted by joellufcprice View Post
    Can't bump a players salary every time they have a good season, they sign a contract for a reason
    Understood. You could say the contract is an extension of a "man's word" but that doesn't apparently mean much anymore.

However, his first year up in the prem was rather exceptional by any standard. He was a key factor in us staying up as well as a key figure for the probably the best seasons the 3 lions had since man discovered fire.

Think good prudent practice would have been to lock him up for a higher salary and as long of term as he'd agree to. Barring injury he was a pretty low risk.

He is being paid a fortune to wear silly shoes so he doesn’t need a pay rise 😆

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)