+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oldham protest against the owners

Oldham protest against the owners

What's your view ? It seems to be getting the norm over the last few years , who is to blame if anyone ? are they're too many overseas investors ? are the EFL doing enough verifying these people ? The protest at Oldham today appeared quite peaceful , ok nobody should invade the pitch or cause damage or hurt to anyone physically, it did seem like the protest group did a reasonable job , no other options available ?

It's happening quite often these days because fans have lost control over their clubs and the people who own SOME of them have no real links to the town's , understand tradition and heritage or what clubs mean to these towns .

To these so called owners they are just businesses and it's extremely difficult to hold them to account given a fair percentage reside overseas and only watch their clubs once a season if that .

Losing control and influence over the club that they have a heavy emotional stake in leads to protest .

It's the only tool fans have , there's nothing else they can do .

I thought it was an excellent protest by the Oldham fans.
    Well done them.
    The banner was great.
    It’s a pity our fans arn’t as organised.

Or is it the case that the Supporters Trust have to wait until things get as bad as what they are at Oldham before they stir ???

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    I thought it was an excellent protest by the Oldham fans.
    Well done them.
    The banner was great.
    It’s a pity our fans arn’t as organised.

Or is it the case that the Supporters Trust have to wait until things get as bad as what they are at Oldham before they stir ???
    Probably and isn't that a warning from history .

If Oldham can slip out of the EFL then so can we if we aren't run right .

Sad to see what's happened at Oldham. I remember those famous FA Cup semis they had with Man U in the early 90s. Great games and of course they also lost in the league Cup final to Forest in that same era. They also had 3 straight seasons on the top flight and were always a decent attacking side under Joe Royle. Their horrible plastic pitch gave them a big advantage at the time but it had to be changed when they were promoted to the top flight.

One of my favourite away games was Oldham. Good sesh in Ashton-under-Lyne then onto Boundary Park. I must've been there at least half a dozen times over the years.

I remember a 3 nil win in the 2005/6 season when Andy Ritchie got us promotion. We played great that day and the Oldham fans despite being well beaten applauded Ritchie rapturously out of total respect which was lovely to see. Proper fans and a proper football club. Their sh1thouse owners have a lot to answer for. Hope they get back up ASAP

Carters arms….. Landlady dried our coats and gave us cagoules to go to match in… Bank holiday Monday I think , plastic pitch…. Chucking it down. Think we lost 3- summat. Good times.

Oldham (and Qpr & Preston as well) should never have been allowed to play on that appalling giant subbuteo pitch at Boundary park.
    Its no coincidence that after switching back to real grass, their record got worse and other teams including us, started to win there more regularly.
    Its a shame whats happened to them though, and just look at the number of former Efl clubs who are down in the Conference now (the Fifth Division!).

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Oldham (and Qpr & Preston as well) should never have been allowed to play on that appalling giant subbuteo pitch at Boundary park.
    Its no coincidence that after switching back to real grass, their record got worse and other teams including us, started to win there more regularly.
    Its a shame whats happened to them though, and just look at the number of former Efl clubs who are down in the Conference now (the Fifth Division!).
    ex premiership club , could another Ex Prem Club be heading the same way ? Dont back against it ,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    I’m thinking …. How many Northern Clubs are suffering relegation this season…..? How many promotions…or does it Jusr seem like it?

We might have to deal with that in the not too distant future, who knows what is just around the corner under these appalling owners.
    What Im thinking of at the moment, is a bit of stability and mid table for a few seasons in Lg One. Surely we're not set for another relegation struggle!.
    But like I said, who knows ehh when we're being run this badly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast