+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Our representatives

O/T:- Our representatives

Not long after Conservative MP Imran Ahmad Khan resigns following a conviction for ***ually assaulting a boy aged 15 in 2008,
    now tory Neil Parish MP goes after he 'broke the law', most likely, by watching **** in parliament, in front of his female colleagues at that.

I don't think there's any point moaning about politicians, after all they're OUR representatives and it's on the voters for electing them. As voters, we have to take more responsibility for who we vote for - if for example a party has a track record of giving us liars, pervs, fraudsters, abusers, criminals of every kind then we should make sure we don't vote for that party again - try something else, because we can't be represented by people like that.
    That's my reaction anyway, ultimately it's the electorate's doing.

https://www.independent.co.uk/indepe...-b2069182.html
    Last edited by SwalePie; 01-05-2022 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Corrected Off Topic prefix

Sadly it's not even confined to one party though. It would be much easier to vote if it was. A few from Google...

Mike Hill - resigned last year during an investigation into his behaviour

Kate Hollern - left front bench after interfering in a ***ual harassment case

Claudia Webbe - threatened to throw acid in someone's face, jail sentence

Fiona Onasanya - jail sentence for speeding and perverting the course of justice.

There are loads more, including more with prison sentences. The power of being an MP seems to attract all sorts of ne'er do wells and no party appears to be immune. Westminster is a cesspit.

Guy Fawkes had the right idea

Although our political system (sort of) works on the premise that we elect representatives as individuals, the reality is that most of people vote for their party of choice at any given time. That's why people feel very annoyed and betrayed if their chosen representative defects from one party to another after being elected.

Often, people will know little or nothing about each party's chosen representative for their constituency, and even if they do know them and don't particularly rate them, they will still most likely vote for the party they want to control the country. Therefore, the power to improve (or indeed diminish) the quality of parliamentarians lies with the political parties themselves through the quality of the people they select as candidates.

As cher1 says above, all of the political parties make bad selections, arguably more now than ever. I believe the quality of parliamentarians has declined because fewer people are entering politics for the right reasons to serve others, and more are simply chasing money and power to serve themselves. That's probably why even the biggest parties in parliament seem to have more and more difficulty finding even one impressive leader these days, despite having a pool of hundreds to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    Not long after Conservative MP Imran Ahmad Khan resigns following a conviction for ***ually assaulting a boy aged 15 in 2008,
    now tory Neil Parish MP goes after he 'broke the law', most likely, by watching **** in parliament, in front of his female colleagues at that.

I don't think there's any point moaning about politicians, after all they're OUR representatives and it's on the voters for electing them. As voters, we have to take more responsibility for who we vote for - if for example a party has a track record of giving us liars, pervs, fraudsters, abusers, criminals of every kind then we should make sure we don't vote for that party again - try something else, because we can't be represented by people like that.
    That's my reaction anyway, ultimately it's the electorate's doing.

https://www.independent.co.uk/indepe...-b2069182.html
    Maybe it is the optimist in me but at least they are getting caught.

I think the main issue is the loyalty of the MPs is first to the party rather than constituents so it is alll built on cronyism

Quote Originally Posted by cher1 View Post
    Sadly it's not even confined to one party though. It would be much easier to vote if it was.
    While that is true, I've never seen such an utterly corrupt bunch as this lot. Hardly surprising when the bloke at the very top is a proven serial liar. Because they managed to get a big majority, telling lies has become their default option. It started when they all backed Dominic Cummings and his 'testing my eyesight' lie. It was obviously a blatant lie, but they got away with it because they all stood together in supporting the lie. Even the p orno guy tried to deny it until the pressure (much of it from very worried colleagues) forced him to admit the truth. The government plan seems to be that 'if we all stick together we can outvote them, even if we know we're lying', but a few rats with just a tiny sense of decency and morality seem to be deserting the sinking ship.

If there was a general election tomorrow, unfortunately there is no party I could support. I couldn't not vote, so like last time my vote would go to the candidate most likely to keep the Tory out.

‘They’re all the same’ is now pretty much the only defence I hear or read of the Tory party/government, so no surprise to see it wheeled out on this thread. Of course all largish organisations have their bad apples, but neither the personal records of Boris Johnson and Keir Starmer, or how they’ve dealt with misconduct in their own parties, bears any comparison whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusCole View Post
    Maybe it is the optimist in me but at least they are getting caught.
    Maybe Marcus, but the ferocity of how they try to cover up and delay everything, makes you think that what we hear about might be just the tip of the iceberg.

Like the Tory MP Oliver Paterson taking the Randox money, they even tried to change the rules to help him get away it.
    I wouldn't have been surprised if Johnson had called for a law change about viewing p orn in public to make Parliament an exception!

Anyway, my main point was not 'party' political. It was that we, collectively, can't complain as we picked them to represent us - We've got to stop doing that, and we have to demand better

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    ‘They’re all the same’ is now pretty much the only defence I hear or read of the Tory party/government, so no surprise to see it wheeled out on this thread. Of course all largish organisations have their bad apples, but neither the personal records of Boris Johnson and Keir Starmer, or how they’ve dealt with misconduct in their own parties, bears any comparison whatsoever.
    I wasnt using it as a defence of the Tory party, far from it. And actually I think saying that deflects from discussing what is a huge problem within Westminster. Boris is a lying weasel, and MPs from all parties act immorally/illegally. Both can be true, well actually, both are. MPs from all parties have been censured, some have gone to prison. There's a problem with the selection of MPs across all parties, and that should be acknowledged and addressed, not brushed away.

A big part of the system which is a problem imo is the whipping. They are elected to represent us, but when in Parliament have little choice but to vote as told. Yes, they can vote against the whip, but it's goodbye to any chance of advancement. I know some will say that they shouldn't be there to go up the ladder, but I don't agree. Nothing wrong if wanting to add influence, for the right reasons.

To see Ministers etc wheeled out to defend the PM has been thoroughly cringeworthy, but again, they have little choice.

I have no doubt that although on the face of it they are behind the PM, there are those planning their leadership bid. Sunak has shot his chance, hopefully Patel too. Truss must a front-runner, Javid up there and possibly Zahawi. Jeremy Hunt from the back-benches. What's happened to Gove? Not seen him for ages.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast