+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Player of the season

Player of the season

Ok, so, we're almost done and I reckon we'll need a few of these type threads to keep us going during the close season so here's one to start with.

Not going to be like the Chronic and say a player has to have been in'x' amount of games before being considered. Plus, this will be very subjective because some players have been steady all season whilst others have gone from shite to the opposite end of the scale and others, still, have been brilliant but not here for long.

So, it's not necessarily about the 'best' player in terms of technique/skill, etc.

I was undecided as I was writing this post...until I remembered Perez.

The twat.

He got a bit of stick but nothing more than loud groans when he inevitably missed or lost possession and, by the Christmas of his final season, some audible relief when he was subbed. So, what was his response when he finally found a bit of form? Celebrating with the crowd? Humility, even, at finally not being a massive disappointment? Nah, not for him. Fingers in his ears and a big scowl on his face. And don't try to tell me it was tongue-in-cheek because, at first, it absolutely wasn't.

You may say he was entitled to that response. Like I say, my opinion is that it just made him a twat.

Fast forward a couple of seasons to Joelinton. Absolute dog turd for two years (aye, there were reasons, but, it's a hard fact to dispute) and on the end of dog's abuse on social media and getting a hard time on the pitch, too (boos when his name was read out, cheers if subbed-basically a laughing stock)...and his repsonse when he finally found form? Well....I don't need to tell anyone on here but it's basically the opposite of Perez when, actually, you couldn't really have blamed him if he'd done a Perez.

His commitment to the team, his work ethic, his positivity, the impact he's had since Howe put him into midfield, all set against the background of his previous however-many-games it was?

It's Big Joe for me.

I think I would agree with that Zip.

Big Joe for me to.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammy89 View Post
    I think I would agree with that Zip.

Big Joe for me to.
    Agreed too, he's not the best player in the team but he's the one who has made the most improvement and has carried his past form and problems with dignity.

It just goes to prove how much the right attitude goes to get you to the right side eventually.

I can't imagine under E.H. he would ever revert to being a poor player ever again. He's got to used to the adulation.

Totally agree big Joe too

Agreed.

And no one deserves it more than Joelinton. Kept his head down, worked hard - and now he's got a lovely smile on his face and it is evident that he loves playing for the club. What more do you want as a fan?

Big props for Big Joe - long may his current form continue.

JoLo.

Even though so many have lost faith in him now, ASM is 2nd for me. His heroics have netted points and provided unforgettable moments. If he stays, I still have faith in him. Burn is 3rd because he helped to shut the back door. Bruno 4th because he hasn't had enough games but has been immense in most of the games he's played.

Burn if he had the full season but can't disagree with JL.

Lazarus.

Honourable mention for Bruno, Schar, yes Maxi, even JJS had a decent year. The whole team showed improvement.

If Bruno had been here from the start of Eddie’s tenure and played as well as he is now, he would’ve pipped ‘the beast’ Joelinton. As things are, it’s got to be Big Joe.

JOE LINTON by a country mile for all the reasons stated, esp the perez comparison, looking forward to next season for the first time in 15 long long years

1. Joelinton
    2. Guimarães
    3. Burn
    4. Shelvey
    5. Wilson
    6. Willock
    7. Schar
    8. Targett
    9. Trippier
    10. Maximin

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)