+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is this St Georges Day bollox all about?

What is this St Georges Day bollox all about?

I've never been able to quite grasp how a Roman soldier of Cappadocian Greek origin became revered as the Patron Saint of England, and I'm about as English as you can get!

I'm sure Alf will be along soon to point out the error of my ways.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    I've never been able to quite grasp how a Roman soldier of Cappadocian Greek origin became revered as the Patron Saint of England, and I'm about as English as you can get!

I'm sure Alf will be along soon to point out the error of my ways.
    A Greek, born in modern day Turkey, who served with distinction as a soldier and diplomat in the Roman Empire. He died in modern day Israel refusing to bend the knee to a despotic Emperor (Vladimirus Putinus?) and his bravery has seen him adopted as the patron Saint of multiple countries as well as England. What is there not to like and celebrate?

Quote Originally Posted by outwoodclaret View Post
    A Greek, born in modern day Turkey, who served with distinction as a soldier and diplomat in the Roman Empire. He died in modern day Israel refusing to bend the knee to a despotic Emperor (Vladimirus Putinus?) and his bravery has seen him adopted as the patron Saint of multiple countries as well as England. What is there not to like and celebrate?
    Have we no Englishmen who could do the job outwood, or do we have to outsource every bloody job to Johnny Bloody Foreigner?

I blame Blow Job for this outrage.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Have we no Englishmen who could do the job outwood, or do we have to outsource every bloody job to Johnny Bloody Foreigner?

I blame Blow Job for this outrage.
    BJ's got Turkish roots on his father's side, perhaps they were related to St. George?

Quote Originally Posted by kritichris View Post
    BJ's got Turkish roots on his father's side, perhaps they were related to St. George?
    GK Chesterton famously scribed: "St George he was for England, and before he killed the dragon he drank a pint of English ale out of an English flagon". More bollox!

Just thinking if the geezer arrived on our shores today, him being a Palestinian/Turkish immigrant and all of that, he would be flown to Rwanda for "processing" on the next flight by Blow Job and Pritti.

If he was being shipped out to Rwanda, he wouldn't be choosing to come here in the first place, which is the genius behind Pritti's little wheeze. And is why Lefties are chucking their toys out of the pram over it, it just might work.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    If he was being shipped out to Rwanda, he wouldn't be choosing to come here in the first place, which is the genius behind Pritti's little wheeze. And is why Lefties are chucking their toys out of the pram over it, it just might work.
    Do you think she is that intelligent sinkov?

Will the money given to France and the amount of money dealing with the thousands making the crossing you could have placed an armed guard every 20 meteres along the Northern French coast from Dunkirk to Boulogne.

Never mind St George- he wouldn’t have got in the Burnley squad after the way we played against Southampton anyway !! Down here it’s all about St David or Dewi Sant as he’s known to everyone. Growing up in school we used to get a half day after singing/ acting / reciting traditional Welsh songs , poems and acting out Welsh historical pieces. Then education authorities stopped the half day plan. Guess what ? There’s now a campaign to try and get it back to where it used to be. Anything to have time off school it seems !

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)