+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Should we have won the title?

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    Yes, if we had stopped this rotating lark, and not playing our strongest team.
    Yes, what happened at Aldershot isn't ageing well

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    Yes, what happened at Aldershot isn't ageing well
    As i see it, if they are not in the team then they are simply not good enough. Then why play them ????

No we shouldn't. As we didn't get enough points.

As i see it, if they are not in the team then they are simply not good enough. Then why play them ????
    Because players get knocks, carry injuries, become fatigued, lose confidence, have other external factors in their lives, hit good form, hit bad form.
    Ability is only one of many factors that make up a football player and how they perform.
    On top of that we may have players that suit different situations.
    If football was as straight forward as playing your best team gets the best result, then our home/away form would be identical.
    Last edited by kill_the_drum; 13-05-2022 at 05:59 AM.

Does that apply to all teams or just Notts?

At home this season we did enough to win the title. Nobody can complain about taking 50 points from 22 games. It’s better than Stockport's home record and on a par with Wrexham who have 51 points.

We will finish 5th because of points dropped away from home. We have won 8 and lost 8 from 21 games. You’ve got to win half your away games to stand any chance of winning the title like Wrexham and Stockport have done.

I would agree we’ve gifted Halifax or Solihull 3rd place because we threw away the lead against Halifax.

There are some key away games where we should ideally have picked up more points. The two draws against Weymouth and Wealdstone. Then defeats to Eastleigh, Aldershot, Alrincham. Picking a point in two games against Bromley.

It’s really fine margins. That’s why if we don’t go up it doesn’t need the baby throwing out with the bath water. We just need to get over inconsistency away from home against lesser sides. Once we do we will be ready to take our place back in the football league.

With our squad and resources, we should have been in the running along with Wrexham and Stockport. But I suppose given the amount of money they've both splashed, third would have been about right. Next season, we have to be top two.

Quote Originally Posted by kill_the_drum View Post
    Because players get knocks, carry injuries, become fatigued, lose confidence, have other external factors in their lives, hit good form, hit bad form.
    Ability is only one of many factors that make up a football player and how they perform.
    On top of that we may have players that suit different situations.
    If football was as straight forward as playing your best team gets the best result, then our home/away form would be identical.
    Under normal circumstances i agree. But, is Mitchel has good as Wootton or Rodrigues ? Is Brunt as good as Vincent ? is Nemane as good as Roberts ? is Jaros as good as Slocombe ? Is Taylor as good as Richardson or Chicksen? I dont think they are..

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    At home this season we did enough to win the title. Nobody can complain about taking 50 points from 22 games. It’s better than Stockport's home record and on a par with Wrexham who have 51 points.

We will finish 5th because of points dropped away from home. We have won 8 and lost 8 from 21 games. You’ve got to win half your away games to stand any chance of winning the title like Wrexham and Stockport have done.

I would agree we’ve gifted Halifax or Solihull 3rd place because we threw away the lead against Halifax.

There are some key away games where we should ideally have picked up more points. The two draws against Weymouth and Wealdstone. Then defeats to Eastleigh, Aldershot, Alrincham. Picking a point in two games against Bromley.

It’s really fine margins. That’s why if we don’t go up it doesn’t need the baby throwing out with the bath water. We just need to get over inconsistency away from home against lesser sides. Once we do we will be ready to take our place back in the football league.
    We could argue we got points we maybe shouldn't have as well, Grimsby away, Wrexham away, Wealdstone at home etc. It ebbs and flows, the only games I'm still really miffed are the Halifax away defeat and home defeat to Woking.

Under normal circumstances i agree. But, is Mitchel has good as Wootton or Rodrigues ? Is Brunt as good as Vincent ? is Nemane as good as Roberts ? is Jaros as good as Slocombe ? Is Taylor as good as Richardson or Chicksen? I dont think they are..
    Why isn’t our squad classed as normal circumstances?
    To answer your questions.
    In my opinion I don’t think Mitchel has demonstrated this season he’s as good hence why he doesn’t get a look in.
    Brunt/Vincent I couldn’t tell you. Brunt came with high praise but doesn’t seem to have lived up to it. Vincent I’ve seen have some very good games and some very poor games.
    I wouldn’t say Nemane is as good as Roberts. Again, that’s why he’s been a bit part player this season. I actually forgot he played for us at one point. I do rate him as a squad player though.
    Jaros/Slocombe, I would personally go for Slocombe. I think IB was hoping Jaros would replace Paterson’s footballing ability, but IMO he’s not as good at the primary objective of keeping the ball out the net. That said, Slocombe had a very iffy start to the season.
    Richardson plays on the right so no comparison. Chicksen I think is defensively better and Taylor is better in an attacking sense. Both have great engines for getting up and down the pitch and have been good players this season.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast