+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: So what lesson have been learned

Slack pie funny as usual ha ha, good posts.

😂😂😂😂😂

We've learnt that tippy tappy football is awful to watch and Burchnall reckons we play well. Time for him and the rest of his overrated 2nd rate players to go

I think with the formations we play and the men we have on the field, we can't do the "shut the game down, retain possession and play defensively" strategy when we're one goal up.

We aren't set up to be strong defensively. When we're one goal up, our tactic has to be "get a second goal", unfortunately.

In terms of hiring, if we lose Wootton but retain Rodrigues I think we need to look for someone who compliments RR at the top of the field. And that one or two aggressive ball-winning mid fielders wouldn't kill us. I feel like we have more than enough creativity.

Quote Originally Posted by Jampie View Post
    I think with the formations we play and the men we have on the field, we can't do the "shut the game down, retain possession and play defensively" strategy when we're one goal up.

We aren't set up to be strong defensively. When we're one goal up, our tactic has to be "get a second goal", unfortunately.

In terms of hiring, if we lose Wootton but retain Rodrigues I think we need to look for someone who compliments RR at the top of the field. And that one or two aggressive ball-winning mid fielders wouldn't kill us. I feel like we have more than enough creativity.
    It could be, but IB has never made what you would call ‘negative’ substitutions.

It’s easy to say in hindsight, but he had options to really strengthen us at the back when Rodrigues went off last night (which I think has to happen, he looked shagged). You could easily have brought on DKE or Rawlinson, moving Richardson further up the pitch where his pace could be a threat (and his lack of a defensive brain less of a threat to us), but he just brought on Brunt (who tbf I thought played alright) as a like-for-like.

It was similar when we folded at Chesterfield (Brunt for Vincent, Mitchell for Wootton), at home to Grimsby (Sam for Rodrigues) and away at Halifax (Mitchell for Rodrigues, Sam for Nemane) when trying to hold on to leads late on.

So I think what IB naturally tries to do is stay attacking and get the killer goal, but all of the evidence is suggesting that it doesn’t work and we end up forced back and defending our penalty area anyway, but without the right players there to do the job.

We break quick sometimes the ball goes out wide and then it is passed back again giving the opposition plenty of time to cover. Chicksen plays more balls towards his own defence than he does to the forwards.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobncfc View Post
    It could be, but IB has never made what you would call ‘negative’ substitutions.
    Those are dangerous and unwieldy so I wouldn't expect him to (you make even one, and then the other guys equalise... now what?). I don't feel like we _get_ enough second goals for that to be the tactic. At least not one the players are sold on!

Quote Originally Posted by Jampie View Post
    Those are dangerous and unwieldy so I wouldn't expect him to (you make even one, and then the other guys equalise... now what?). I don't feel like we _get_ enough second goals for that to be the tactic. At least not one the players are sold on!
    You get the extra sub in extra time, so you can rebalance it again if needed. I am fairly sure IB is the only manager in the division who isn’t bringing on a defensive player for Rodrigues in that situation with 12 mins or whatever to go yesterday, for better or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    We break quick sometimes the ball goes out wide and then it is passed back again giving the opposition plenty of time to cover. Chicksen plays more balls towards his own defence than he does to the forwards.
    That's always been my view too. But last night he was a different player, eager to look for the ball and do something with it and fully deserved MoM (although Palmer was a close 2nd). Playing for a contract perhaps?

What have we learnt?
    We're predictable, play out from the back, across the box, check back Chicksen had one foot goes 2 steps forward 3 back, soft at set pieces, slow, midfield has no steel, forward line not quick or mobile enough. Same as the last 4 seasons but those at the helm can't see it for some reason.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast