+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What do we need, and who might it be?

Stefan Radosavljević would be a good Reuben replacement if he went. Doubt WP rules would allow it though.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    Lemonheigh-Evans was at the game on Monday night. He would be a great signing.
    He would indeed, especially if it turned out that Wootton isn't the only attacking departure.

Obviously we'll need a centre-forward to replace Wootton, but critically I think we need two big, strong, aggressive players to bolster our midfield and provide extra height when defending set-pieces. We've conceded too many goals this season and it's natural to pin the blame for that on the defenders, but for me a lot of the problems began in the middle of the park where Matt Palmer needs some brute force around him to complement his obvious ability.

Personally, I wouldn't have released Alex Lacey, but presumably we will bring in a central defensive replacement, so again that needs to be an old-fashioned, dominant stopper of the Graeme Lee type. We've got to win more of the aerial battles in our own penalty area and defensive third than we did this season, and if we can, thereby conceding fewer silly goals, then we don't need to score as many goals to win games.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSmithRules View Post
    Gyasi from Dover would make a good radar signing, particularly if Roberts or Rodrigues left.
    Good spot ! He was exceptional for Dover at Wrexham, scoring a hat trick and causing havoc. Well worth a look on youtube. He's under contract at relegated Kings Lynn Town

https://www.kltown.co.uk/2022/05/20/...released-list/

A quick P.S.

A marked difference between Wrexham fans and ours. Even when they were losing 5-2 at home to relegated Dover their fans stuck with them and even increased the volume. Conversely our fans were booing in the first half because we were only winning 1-0 against Dover...

Quote Originally Posted by pravda_plc View Post
    Good spot ! He was exceptional for Dover at Wrexham, scoring a hat trick and causing havoc. Well worth a look on youtube. He's under contract at relegated Kings Lynn Town

https://www.kltown.co.uk/2022/05/20/...released-list/

A quick P.S.

A marked difference between Wrexham fans and ours. Even when they were losing 5-2 at home to relegated Dover their fans stuck with them and even increased the volume. Conversely our fans were booing in the first half because we were only winning 1-0 against Dover...
    Your quick P.S. probably says a lot about our aging fanbase (of which I have to admit to now being a member!) who unfortunately find it difficult to adapt to modern football. We tend to hark back to the 'olden days' a little too much for the good of our club's future sometimes, IMHO. I do hope that IB's departure doesn't signal a return to the route one days and I'm hopeful that with the Reedtz brothers at the helm it won't.

Amen to that Swale !!!

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    I do hope that IB's departure doesn't signal a return to the route one days and I'm hopeful that with the Reedtz brothers at the helm it won't.
    Well, being under 50 I count myself as middle-aged in Notts County supporter terms, so perhaps that's why my take on things is somewhere in the middle too.

God forbid we go back to route one days of a 'manager' like Steve Thompson, but I've never bought this myth that Neil Warnock and Sam Allardyce were 'route one'. Their teams played some excellent and very entertaining winning football. What they didn't do was employ a style of play that asked more of their players than they were capable of delivering, especially against strong opposition who could exploit any such weaknesses. For example, we didn't mess about too much with the ball in our own half, playing in front of teams.

Warnock and Allardyce played to the strengths of their squad, and produced the most exciting times I've known as a Notts fan, because I was too young to see Jimmy Sirrell's teams live. For me, this is still a good blueprint for success in the lower leagues. We aren't Manchester City and we shouldn't try to be.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Well, being under 50 I count myself as middle-aged in Notts County supporter terms, so perhaps that's why my take on things is somewhere in the middle too.

God forbid we go back to route one days of a 'manager' like Steve Thompson, but I've never bought this myth that Neil Warnock and Sam Allardyce were 'route one'. Their teams played some excellent and very entertaining winning football. What they didn't do was employ a style of play that asked more of their players than they were capable of delivering, especially against strong opposition who could exploit any such weaknesses. For example, we didn't mess about too much with the ball in our own half, playing in front of teams.

Warnock and Allardyce played to the strengths of their squad, and produced the most exciting times I've known as a Notts fan, because I was too young to see Jimmy Sirrell's teams live. For me, this is still a good blueprint for success in the lower leagues. We aren't Manchester City and we shouldn't try to be.
    My 'route one' comment was about all the other dross, not Sam and Warnock's times.

We might actually raid Donny for a central defender, you never know, Cameron John (24) free agent next month.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Another one we're supposedly looking at:

Geraldo Bajrami.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123