+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Ian Burchnall gone - BBC

Best result of the season. Compensation for a bloke who would never take us up. Should have been sacked after Wealdstone away after 22 games. That was the night we timidly gave up any real chance of top spot. Not good enough all season and worryingly none of our weaknesses were ever addressed, we just kept ploughing on the same way knowing it would bring failiure.

Quote Originally Posted by optipez View Post
    Best result of the season. Compensation for a bloke who would never take us up. Should have been sacked after Wealdstone away after 22 games. That was the night we timidly gave up any real chance of top spot. Not good enough all season and worryingly none of our weaknesses were ever addressed, we just kept ploughing on the same way knowing it would bring failiure.
    Absolutely agree and yet we have let him dictate his exit and leave us mired in this awful league.

Quote Originally Posted by optipez View Post
    What really convinced me that we were going nowhere with IB were some of his post-match interviews recently. After games like Aldershot, Dover and Grimsby on Monday, he still said we were 'great' despite all of our very evident flaws being entirely visible. If he couldn't even acknowledge the issues we have as a club, he was never going to be able to fix them and therefore never going to get us up.

Best of luck to him for the future, with the way I could see next season going for us, I'd rather him leave now and us get some compo than sack him in October with us languishing in 15th and have yet another mid-season managerial change.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    Absolutely
    Would the players have known or at least picked up on it?
    They would have noticed that when interviewed he declined the opportunity to say 'I'm staying at Notts County'

If your leader is jumping ship, how can that not affect your mental focus and performance?
    Because they’re professional footballers and this is part-and-parcel of football - it’s just that we’ve not experienced it in a long time because we normally sack our managers.

Football is an industry, and I’m sure IB’s attracted a lot of attention for the way he’s tried to make Notts an attractive team. It worked some of the time, especially at home, and was obviously noted by other clubs - as FGR said in their statement. He’s definitely not the finished article, and there were times when I wondered if it really hurt him enough when we had a shocker - Woking, Halifax, Torquay. But I think he’s left the team in a better place than the one he inherited, albeit with some glaring problems still unresolved.

Given our head coach model, I actually think the most important thing now is that the recruitment team up their game and bring in better players - we need more 7/8 out of 10 every week players rather than 8/9 and then 3 out of 10 the next week, and some real leaders out on the pitch.

I can't really fathom though why he was allowed to release players and/or offer out new contracts when he was already exiting the club. Makes absolutely no sense unless it's true the owners do interfere too much in p!aging staff affairs.

Quote Originally Posted by NcFc-123 View Post
    The most depressing part of this is that we are 2 divisions lower than the mighty Forest Green Rovers
    Some of us on here (I did) probably went to Wembley in the early 80's to watch Forest Green take on the mighty Rainworth Miners Welfare in the FA Vase Final. Never in a million years did I think Notts would be overtaken in status by one of those clubs.... But this is Notts after all.

"There's only one Ian Burchnall" never really took off did it....

Ultimately, for the nice football we’ve undoubtedly played at home a lot of the time, what will I remember IB’s time for? I’ll remember losing when 2-0 up against 10 men with 12 minutes left at Halifax, I’ll remember losing 3-1 at Chesterfield when we were 1-0 up with half an hour to go in a big derby six-pointer, and I’ll remember conceding exactly the same goal to Grimsby three times in injury time in one season.

I like the style (mostly, IB probably went too far at times), but that’s not going to change. What hopefully will change is the mentality of folding under pressure in every key moment, something which IMO comes from your manager/head coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Warnocks Legends View Post
    I can't really fathom though why he was allowed to release players and/or offer out new contracts when he was already exiting the club. Makes absolutely no sense unless it's true the owners do interfere too much in p!aging staff affairs.
    Because he’s just one voice on a panel making these decisions, and we need to be planning for next season.

I do think it would be good for head of recruitment Richard Montague to be a little more forward-facing with the fans rather than operating in the shadows most of the time. I’d certainly love to hear why we keep signing lightweight midfielders who aren’t equipped for the battle at this level.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    Because he’s just one voice on a panel making these decisions, and we need to be planning for next season.

I do think it would be good for head of recruitment Richard Montague to be a little more forward-facing with the fans rather than operating in the shadows most of the time. I’d certainly love to hear why we keep signing lightweight midfielders who aren’t equipped for the battle at this level.
    My understanding is they base the players required on metrics based on the style of play they want to play. These metrics obviously lean themselves towards sub 5 feet 10 players.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsetts_Pie View Post
    Some of us on here (I did) probably went to Wembley in the early 80's to watch Forest Green take on the mighty Rainworth Miners Welfare in the FA Vase Final. Never in a million years did I think Notts would be overtaken in status by one of those clubs.... But this is Notts after all.

"There's only one Ian Burchnall" never really took off did it....
    Overtaken by FGR is down to Money. I posted earlier that the chairman at FGR was rumoured to have TEN TIMES more money than our previous chairman Alan Hardy

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast