+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 81 of 82 FirstFirst ... 317179808182 LastLast

Thread: 📝 New Manager [Luke Williams Appointed]

Ardleyball and Burchball wasn't identical by any means, but it did involve far too much possession in our own half and particularly in the defensive third, and it failed to win us promotion three times. So far, the brand of football under Luke Williams has looked similar.

Luke Williams made an excellent point that Notts fans do not come along wanting to boo their team, but I think the Chesterfield game was a watershed moment where a lot of supporters finally let the players, the manager and the club know that they had well and truly had their fill of seeing the ball retained in the wrong areas for too long, with needless backwards/sideways passes when there was space to exploit or targets available to hit.

I do have considerably sympathy for the current Head Coach, who had the misfortune to face this booing after only four games in charge, but hopefully he realises that it was a reaction that has been gradually building up over three years, and whoever is dictating the style of play at the club needs to appreciate the significance of it.

As The_Don_O'Riordan says:

Quote Originally Posted by The_Don_ORiordan View Post
    It’s not hoofball versus tippy tappy. It’s being effective with the style you use, and if it isn’t working adapting it a little.
    It's a complete myth that sides coached by Neil Warnock and Sam Allardyce played hoofball. Both managers had some very talented players at their disposal and they both played in a way that gave these players freedom to pass and dribble the ball in the right areas, but they didn't invite pressure and give silly goals away by doing it just inside and outside our own penalty area.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    There's a difference between "possession-based approach" and actually trying to make progress with the ball, though. What's frustrating is the possession-based approach that is solely about retaining possession by going sideways or backwards without trying to make something happen. It becomes sterile and the default approach, unless someone is willing to try something more adventurous.

The frustrations at the Chesterfield game were also compounded by some needless pratting around at the back (technical term) that gave Maidenhead a few half-chances in the first home game. It's high risk (see Rangers' winning goal last night after some calamitous PSV defending) and there's got to be a better middle ground at this level.

The most obvious thing is to mix things up so the opposition aren't automatically knowing that you are always going to play out from the back and they're kept guessing during the game.
    Spot on .

The old idea was POMO, position of maximum opportunity. Play as much as possible in the opponent's half.

Quote Originally Posted by uysapie View Post
    The old idea was POMO, position of maximum opportunity. Play as much as possible in the opponent's half.
    Absolutely. That phrase became associated with Wimbledon's 'route one' style of play, but it doesn't have to been seen that way. Nottingham Forest under Brian Clough became regarded as the best passing team in the country, but I don't remember his teams messing about with the ball in their own half. He would have done his nut, because clean sheets were his holy grail. He used to tell most of his defenders they couldn't play, so pass it forward to someone who can play (like John Robertson) ASAP.

He stated he wanted to play possession football like I.B did, but to overpower teams going forward.
    He was lying

Quote Originally Posted by Glad2BeAPie View Post
    He stated he wanted to play possession football like I.B did, but to overpower teams going forward.
    He was lying
    Well rather than him being a ''liar'', let's just hope it's taking a bit of time for him to get it organised.

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post
    Think the owners have no idea of what an experienced or successfull coach is at this level.
    What are your thoughts on this now Davy? Haha

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post
    Somebody with experience at this level or above, who has a recent promotion.
    I have said for the lst 3 years, we need somebody with experience, who also has a no nonsense type of approach, still probably not the kind of manager the owners want, think they want a nodding dog kind of manager, one with limited experience who will do as they are told
    I didnt think much when IB was appointed, and i feel the same now with LW, my prediction more of the same bull, no series title challenge, and a struggle for top 3 , and i thought the owners would learn, how many times will it take ??

Still like i said LW is here now, so best of luck to him, and lets give him a fair crack over the season, unless we are in the bottom half for long
    I was looking through what was said, at least Davy wished him luck 😂 only joking with yer Davy, but I do remember a lot of negativity over a sustained period, at least we’re all in a happier place now.
    Last edited by matt_magpie; 16-05-2023 at 05:38 PM.

There were some pearlers on there. Apart from LW’s appointment, the prediction that our attendance figures would suffer due to Forest promotion and cost of living crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bob View Post
    Quite a few comments on twitter that his football is boring.
    Considering the season we have just been through I love this one. So much for those twitter experts

Page 81 of 82 FirstFirst ... 317179808182 LastLast