+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 74 of 82 FirstFirst ... 24647273747576 ... LastLast

Thread: 📝 New Manager [Luke Williams Appointed]

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    It could be that, (year on year in this division), we've actually got further away from promo?
    Technically I suppose we have, in terms of a play-off final followed by a semi-final followed by a quarter-final, but I think that's splitting hairs to a degree. The overall picture is that we've reached the play-offs every year since relegation, so we're definitely in the promotion mix, but we need to be a little more ruthless to become play-off or title winners. Over the past three seasons we've lost too many games away from home to teams you have to beat if you're going to win things, and based on what I've seen so far I fear that could happen again.

To avoid that, we need to strengthen the midfield ASAP and adopt a slightly more pragmatic style of play. I don't mean we need to go 'direct' or 'long-ball', but let's play our football in the right parts of the pitch where mistakes can be recovered. Don't ask National League players - who by nature are prone to make more mistakes than higher level players - to take silly risks and invite pressure upon themselves in the defensive third of the pitch. It really is practical common sense.
    Last edited by jackal2; 20-08-2022 at 11:26 AM.

100% agree...

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Don't ask National League players - who by nature are prone to make more mistakes than higher level players - to take silly risks and invite pressure upon themselves in the defensive third of the pitch. It really is practical common sense.
    And conversely take every opportunity to put the opposition's defenders under pressure instead of giving them time to re-assemble.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Technically I suppose we have, in terms of a play-off final followed by a semi-final followed by a quarter-final, but I think that's splitting hairs to a degree. The overall picture is that we've reached the play-offs every year since relegation, so we're definitely in the promotion mix, but we need to be a little more ruthless to become play-off or title winners. Over the past three seasons we've lost too many games away from home to teams you have to beat if you're going to win things, and based on what I've seen so far I fear that could happen again.

To avoid that, we need to strengthen the midfield ASAP and adopt a slightly more pragmatic style of play. I don't mean we need to go 'direct' or 'long-ball', but let's play our football in the right parts of the pitch where mistakes can be recovered. Don't ask National League players - who by nature are prone to make more mistakes than higher level players - to take silly risks and invite pressure upon themselves in the defensive third of the pitch. It really is practical common sense.
    I guess it depends how people look at it. Some will say we have been getting further and further away from promotion since we've been in this league. In the grand scheme of the football pyramid we've finished 95th, 97th and 97th. The highest we can finish is 93rd.

We've basically found stability here in the fifth tier and stability is something that is extremely unusual for Notts which is why we ended up in the fifth tier in the first place. Typically since we've been at this level we've won more games at home than in previous seasons and have a hattrick off play-off campaign's. The club has been directed through the Covid crisis and has come out intact.

Is stability as a Top five National League play off club enough? I think it would be hard to find any Notts fan that would say yes to that question. We desperately want to get out of this league.

What concerns me is with the start of each new season we are at this level the frustration of the previous seasons of play-off failures is going to simmer and boil underneath. Having spent three seasons in this league already the expectation and pressure is raised from the supporters. We had Burchnall for one full season, and now we start our 4th campaign with a new manager. These coaches have to hit the ground running to stand any chance of building up credit in the bank amongst the supporters the way I see it. It's a tough gig.

There is some degree of fear of being trapped down here for a decade or more like Wrexham.

We must look at clubs like Luton who spent five years at this level. That is the hope that we must carry that our time to rise will come as we are the National League version of Brentford in the premier league in terms of how we are set up.

Feels like Williams needs a really good performance/result to properly get his feet under the table with fans. Let’s hope today’s the day.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Feels like Williams needs a really good performance/result to properly get his feet under the table with fans. Let’s hope today’s the day.
    Wishful thinking.

Feel a bit sorry for Williams, the crowd was ready to turn today booed off at half time, not because they're anti Williams but because they want a bit more than another year of Burchball.
    The players are running their socks off but we are at least one midfielder short of what we need I think.

Quote Originally Posted by optipez View Post
    Feel a bit sorry for Williams, the crowd was ready to turn today booed off at half time, not because they're anti Williams but because they want a bit more than another year of Burchball.
    The players are running their socks off but we are at least one midfielder short of what we need I think.
    See LW's comment " Ian has done such a good job". Glad he thinks so because I do not. If he is going to play the same system, we are not going anywhere. WE NEED THAT MIDFIELDER WITH TENACITY.

Quote Originally Posted by optipez View Post
    Feel a bit sorry for Williams, the crowd was ready to turn today booed off at half time, not because they're anti Williams but because they want a bit more than another year of Burchball. The players are running their socks off but we are at least one midfielder short of what we need I think.
    Agreed. It was a strange atmosphere where fans were booing the team's play at times, but then applauding individual players like Jim O'Brien and Kairo Mitchell when they subbed. In effect this was fans saying we don't question the effort being put in by the individuals, but we're very frustrated with the overall tactics of overplaying in our own half and players constantly checking and passing back when they should take responsibility to take on their defender and beat them.

LW was chosen cos hes almost an IB copy and fit the model.
    If anyone is expecting massive differences in style, theyve backed the wrong horse.
    The owenrs want their style, with tactics and transfers.
    LW has been brought in to say 'yes' to them.
    This will not end well.

Page 74 of 82 FirstFirst ... 24647273747576 ... LastLast