+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sunday 29th May 2022

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    I feel far more positive about the future of the club than at most other times in the past 20 or so years - we have owners who have a vision built on sustainability rather than the reckless pursuit of success like some of their predecessors; our fan base is bigger - and younger - than when we were in League 1; we are trying to develop an identity as a side that makes us attractive to football fans; and we're very much part of the local community (as seen during the pandemic).

Sure, we're in the National League, but I've seen us in all five divisions and can definitely remember far worse times when it felt like the club was dying a slow death (two words: Jamie Fullarton). I no longer feel that.

I really don't care what league Forest or Mansfield are going to be in next season. Football is cyclical, and all we can do is be the best we can be and keep trying to improve all of the time. Do that, and maybe we can be the next Luton - and without the boom or bust model that has always scuppered our hopes for long-term growth.
    Great post and I echo those sentiments.

I want Mansfailed and the Red Dogs to lose this weekend, as them winning doesn't help Notts. But I'm not going to cry about it if they do. Forest have been out of reach for a long time now even with them overall struggling since relegation from Prem all those years ago. They are Derby's concern tbh.

As for Mansfailed, we've been in the same division or more often a higher division for the vast majority of my days as a Notts supporter. They've had very little to cheer about during that time so it they reach the 3rd tier fair play it's long overdue that they had some success.

I'd much rather they win than F*rest naturally.

I've had an insurance bet on a double promotion just in case the worst happens but I'm only really bothered about Notts tbh.

Whatever happens tomorrow, Forest are operating in a different world to us. It's been that way for years, regardless of whether we're in the NL or languishing in L2. The truth is they're a big club. It's just a matter of time until they make it back to the top tier.

When I was a kid, it felt cool to spend a few seasons in the same division as them. Then it was normal to be one division below them. Now we're potentially going to be four divisions below them. We just need to concentrate on ourselves and get back to L2. I doubt we'll ever play Forest again in the league.

As for Mansfield - who cares? We're not in competition with them for fans. Sure, it's embarrassing being a division below them, but you have to remember this is pretty much a golden era for them - loads of money being pumped into the club year in, year out, and among the favourites for promotion. It just so happens that this 'golden' era of theirs has coincided with us being the worst we've ever been. At least our golden era(s) were actually good.

As others have said, football is cyclical. A few years ago, we were in the top half of L1 and Lincoln were non-league. Things can change fast. Perhaps our time will come again, perhaps it won't. But if it does, at least we have the stadium and fan base to build sustainable success.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    Whatever happens tomorrow, Forest are operating in a different world to us. It's been that way for years, regardless of whether we're in the NL or languishing in L2. The truth is they're a big club. It's just a matter of time until they make it back to the top tier.

When I was a kid, it felt cool to spend a few seasons in the same division as them. Then it was normal to be one division below them. Now we're potentially going to be four divisions below them. We just need to concentrate on ourselves and get back to L2. I doubt we'll ever play Forest again in the league.

As for Mansfield - who cares? We're not in competition with them for fans. Sure, it's embarrassing being a division below them, but you have to remember this is pretty much a golden era for them - loads of money being pumped into the club year in, year out, and among the favourites for promotion. It just so happens that this 'golden' era of theirs has coincided with us being the worst we've ever been. At least our golden era(s) were actually good.

As others have said, football is cyclical. A few years ago, we were in the top half of L1 and Lincoln were non-league. Things can change fast. Perhaps our time will come again, perhaps it won't. But if it does, at least we have the stadium and fan base to build sustainable success.
    Absolutely!

Quote Originally Posted by magpie2k4 View Post
    Sunday 29th May 2022 could signify the lowest point in Notts County’s history. It is the day that could signify the biggest gap in divisions between Forest and Notts. This is potentially the day after the biggest gap between Mansfield and Notts was also confirmed.

On top of this, we have had our lowest ever finish (when considering the earlier playoff defeat compared to last season). We currently have no manager going into an incredibly crucial period of the season (pre-season) and presumably a squad of players with very low morale.

Anyone care to cheer me up? Haha
    Sorry pal, I’m still sat somewhere in the Pavis with my head in my hands after that 96th minute equaliser. I know we’ve been through tough times, but I feel especially dejected about it all at the minute…football huh.

Although he seemed like a decent bloke, and I can’t really blame him for leaving, I feel angry at IB. I feel like he’s a bit of a myth, can make you believe that he knows what he’s doing…but in reality I feel cheated by him.

I think I feel dejected because it was so blatantly obvious how this season was going to end and we just sleep walked into it with no passion or fight from the manager or players, we just rolled over and had our bellies tickled. Now we’re managerless, likely to lose our best two attacking threats and have a squad full of seemingly incapable weaklings…both physically and mentally.

Sorry, I know that won’t help. It just feels like no matter what we do, whether we cheat, spend loads of money, spend little money, go long, go short, or sell the club to a global criminal…we just get worse and worse. I’m struggling to feel any joy or enthusiasm for it right now.

I know you shouldn’t wish bad on anyone but I can’t help but hope Burchnall falls flat on his arse at FGR.
    Last edited by TSANHO; 28-05-2022 at 06:40 PM.

Would generally agree, do not wish IB any bad but but do not wish him any luck either.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie2k4 View Post
    Sunday 29th May 2022 could signify the lowest point in Notts County’s history. It is the day that could signify the biggest gap in divisions between Forest and Notts. This is potentially the day after the biggest gap between Mansfield and Notts was also confirmed.

On top of this, we have had our lowest ever finish (when considering the earlier playoff defeat compared to last season). We currently have no manager going into an incredibly crucial period of the season (pre-season) and presumably a squad of players with very low morale.

Anyone care to cheer me up? Haha
    Just concentrate on what happens at Notts and don't concern yourself with other teams.

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post
    Sorry pal, I’m still sat somewhere in the Pavis with my head in my hands after that 96th minute equaliser. I know we’ve been through tough times, but I feel especially dejected about it all at the minute…football huh.

Although he seemed like a decent bloke, and I can’t really blame him for leaving, I feel angry at IB. I feel like he’s a bit of a myth, can make you believe that he knows what he’s doing…but in reality I feel cheated by him.

I think I feel dejected because it was so blatantly obvious how this season was going to end and we just sleep walked into it with no passion or fight from the manager or players, we just rolled over and had our bellies tickled. Now we’re managerless, likely to lose our best two attacking threats and have a squad full of seemingly incapable weaklings…both physically and mentally.

Sorry, I know that won’t help. It just feels like no matter what we do, whether we cheat, spend loads of money, spend little money, go long, go short, or sell the club to a global criminal…we just get worse and worse. I’m struggling to feel any joy or enthusiasm for it right now.

I know you shouldn’t wish bad on anyone but I can’t help but hope Burchnall falls flat on his arse at FGR.
    My sentiments entirely… it’s all left a very bitter taste in my mouth after the capitulation of last week. I really, really hope he gets his comeuppance and FGRs drop through the leagues into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Glad2BeAPie View Post
    Just concentrate on what happens at Notts and don't concern yourself with other teams.
    That's not for me, it is possible to do both.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    I feel far more positive about the future of the club than at most other times in the past 20 or so years - we have owners who have a vision built on sustainability rather than the reckless pursuit of success like some of their predecessors; our fan base is bigger - and younger - than when we were in League 1; we are trying to develop an identity as a side that makes us attractive to football fans; and we're very much part of the local community (as seen during the pandemic).

Sure, we're in the National League, but I've seen us in all five divisions and can definitely remember far worse times when it felt like the club was dying a slow death (two words: Jamie Fullarton). I no longer feel that.

I really don't care what league Forest or Mansfield are going to be in next season. Football is cyclical, and all we can do is be the best we can be and keep trying to improve all of the time. Do that, and maybe we can be the next Luton - and without the boom or bust model that has always scuppered our hopes for long-term growth.
    A brilliant post and I wholeheartedly agree.

A brilliant post and I wholeheartedly agree.

Grimsby have proven that even if you spend a lot money at this level promotion is not guaranteed especially if you finish in the playoffs. On Monday they looked up for it and hungry and they have been like a machine in the playoffs thus far. They’ve played four hours of football over two games in five days and have come out winners on both occasions. They actually deserve to go on and get promoted now because to do that clearly shows they have a tough mentality, are resilient and industrious with a never say die attitude and so much energy. They are not the most glamorous or qualities but it’s got them two wins over a high end side (Wrexham) and a football purist side (Notts)

This league is without a doubt the toughest of all the professional leagues in England to get promoted from. You can spend your way out, play your way out, but if you are not consistently exceptional you enter the lottery of the playoffs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast