+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Our current squad

Our current squad

Someone asked at the Neerav Q&A whether there was any chance of Bassi and Quina returning.

IMO - although these two are good players - they weren’t the players that were needed.
    The squad was quite capable of avoiding relegation given a couple of players that were actually needed I.e.
    An experienced midfield leader.
    A target striker to accompany Morris.

If we could keep all the present squad - and yes I do realise this isn’t going to happen - but if we did, then this squad and the strengthening of those two positions mentioned, then Barnsley would form a formidable force in League 1.
    And after watching the rubbish served up at the 1st Division play offs - then I’d tip us to go straight back up.

In other words - we all know it’s coming - but the squad doesn’t really need major changes.
    It just needs strengthening in two positions.
    And then a head coach that can get the best out of them.

I'd be desperately trying to keep Morris and Woodrow here and play them as a two up top next season .

Strikers with goals in them are at a premium at any level , these two would hit the onion bag regularly in my opinion .

Everyone else can leave for me , not fussed to be honest .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    I'd be desperately trying to keep Morris and Woodrow here and play them as a two up top next season .

Strikers with goals in them are at a premium at any level , these two would hit the onion bag regularly in my opinion .

Everyone else can leave for me , not fussed to be honest .
    This team would take some beating…..

…………………. Collins
    ………… Kichen - Helik - Mads

Williams - older leader - Wolfe - Stiles

……… Cole - target striker - Morris

With players on the bench such as
    Walton
    Kane
    Brittain
    Hondermark
    Benson

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    This team would take some beating…..

…………………. Collins
    ………… Kichen - Helik - Mads

Williams - older leader - Wolfe - Stiles

……… Cole - target striker - Morris

With players on the bench such as
    Walton
    Kane
    Brittain
    Hondermark
    Benson
    But it's not going to happen is it ?

Cole? Why would anyone want Cole over Woodrow? I'm with you Animal on this. Keep our top two strikers and the rest can go for me. We need to generate some money and the selling of Anderson, Styles and Co would produce said cash. I think I'd try to keep Helik, but that's just wishful thinking, as selling him alone would probably pay for a new back line. If good offers come in for Styles and Anderson I'd let them go too. I'm not an Anderson fan and Styles had a disappointing season and although he could get his mojo back playing in a lower division, I'd still take the money and run.

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    But it's not going to happen is it ?
    Yes - we know.
    But I suppose my point is - that IMO there dosent need to be a clear out as some fans are shouting for.
    The squad was good enough to stay in the Championship given a couple of additions.
    So if they can keep the majority of them together - and add 2 or 3 in the right positions - then we should be good to go again in Division 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    Yes - we know.
    But I suppose my point is - that IMO there dosent need to be a clear out as some fans are shouting for.
    The squad was good enough to stay in the Championship given a couple of additions.
    So if they can keep the majority of them together - and add 2 or 3 in the right positions - then we should be good to go again in Division 1.
    There needs to be a clear out because we are in trouble financially .

Cole over Woodrow must be a wind up comment.