+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crystal Palace

Crystal Palace

Changing their badge to 1861 and claiming to be the oldest professional club in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie2k4 View Post
    Changing their badge to 1861 and claiming to be the oldest professional club in the world.

I'm sure the historians will be all over it. I we do lose that particular ''moniker'', lets hope it brings a change in fortune.

https://worldsoccertalk.com/2020/04/...ed%20in%201861.
    Last edited by countygump; 19-06-2022 at 11:14 AM.

Even Crystal Palace fans are embarrassed by the claim

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    I'm sure the historians will be all over it. I we do lose that particular ''moniker'', lets hope it brings a change in fortune.

https://worldsoccertalk.com/2020/04/...ed%20in%201861.
    The claim seems somewhat tenuous.

And on the same basis I think we can now legitimately claim 1197 to be our year. The public house ye olde trip to Jerusalem was opened in 1197, and past and present Notts County players have once drunk there.

Definitive. QED. Fact.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Don_ORiordan View Post
    The claim seems somewhat tenuous.

And on the same basis I think we can now legitimately claim 1197 to be our year. The public house ye olde trip to Jerusalem was opened in 1197, and past and present Notts County players have once drunk there.

Definitive. QED. Fact.
    No we're definitely older than that. My mate reckons we had a battling forward called Harold Hastings with a shot like an arrow over a century before that. At least I think that's what he said.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    No we're definitely older than that. My mate reckons we had a battling forward called Harold Hastings with a shot like an arrow over a century before that. At least I think that's what he said.
    During Jack Dunnett's time there was a headed business letter found that seemed to prove that Notts were actually in existence in 1860.

So C P you still miss out nah nah.

I have it on good authority that Notts County's first ever playoff wipeout led directly to the bronze age collapse.

Quote Originally Posted by Jampie View Post
    I have it on good authority that Notts County's first ever playoff wipeout led directly to the bronze age collapse.
    We never really recovered from that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jampie View Post
    Invention of the wheel = Notts. Unfortunately we were also the first to register a broken wheel.

Invention of farming = Notts. Introducing sheep to keep the grass under control.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    We never really recovered from that.
    Well it was after that teams starting putting some iron into their midfield but we're still waiting........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast