+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: First team coach departs

Quote Originally Posted by jacobncfc View Post
    Do you not think the attacking output was a bit underwhelming though considering we had someone focusing on it? I know they’re a new thing in football, but at places where they’ve really worked you see them trying and scoring from some really interesting routines. I know he’ll be coaching the blocking and stuff that’s important, but as far as I can tell the one routine we developed was ‘clip it to the far post and have the big lad attack it’.
    Cant disagree with that to be fair. I think some of the issue though was we had a whole period of last season and the season before where we didn’t seem to have anyone who could deliver a decent set piece, unless it was in shooting distance and then up steps R&R.

One thing I did feel much better about was defending long throw-ins. We didn’t concede any goals from those last season, two the previous season.

Quote Originally Posted by optipez View Post
    For all those positives we actually had our lowest ever league finish in 160 years and had statistically almost no chance of finishing top after half a season had elapsed.
    I'm not slating Burch or Clapham, they've both moved up the food chain and clearly have strengths but collectively Burch, Doyle, Clapham & Co were never able to energise a good squad into strong contenders. We didn't really improve or grow as the season went on despite loaning in players and pepping up the squad so it's a bit harsh to keep blaming the players for not executing the plan.
    I very much doubt FGR care whether Notts finished in the joint worst ever league finish in 160. I don't know how long they were tracking IBs work but I doubt it extends much beyond last season.

Let's put it this way if IB had got Notts promoted through in the playoffs. Does anyone think FGR would have been successful with their approach for our head coach as a now L2 club after he achieved promotion?

If they had no doubt we would be collectively baffled that he left us for such a small club with less potential only one division above. Or doesn't it play out like that on NCM?

Plays good football, well respected young coach who failed in one off play off games they probably viewed him as being ripe for picking

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Is ‘parity’ the new ‘stability’? If we achieve parity for the next decade, we remain a non-league club for the next decade. If all of our staff and players get poached by Man City or Liverpool I’m sure some would see it as proof of how well the project is going.

It will only be going well for me when we achieve promotion, I don’t care what happens to those who leave.
    Not at all, one is heavily focused on off field matters, one is focused on on field.

Parity describes a 5th placed finish following a 5th placed finish the season prior, sounds very reasonable to me. One thing it doesn't describe is a mid table finish*

Nobody is saying the true barometer isn't promotion. Well.i haven't seen anyone say it on here.

If we achieve promotion it's not going well for me it's gone well because we've achieved a major objective which isn't easy to do. Even without promotion being achieved you can still record and recognise positives for the club such as attracting bids for good performing players, backroom staff being poached by top clubs, and a head coach also headhunted to a higher division which resulted in us receiving compensation rather than the usual money we have to pay after sacking the latest manager and assistant.

* In a Notts sense.

Ooh, and I had nothing to do with this!

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport...-piece-7276057

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    There's always those who will accept mediocrity.. I'm glad Burchnall has gone and taken his hands in pockets mate with him. Good luck to both of them in their new job, but it won't take long for them to be exposed..
    "Good luck......" ???? That has to be the most disingenuous good luck message on here for a very long time. Well maybe back to just after the NA era at Meadow Lane

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Yep, that has the lamest excuse of all. Any of us could say “I’m a brilliant manager, but the players just didn’t do what I told them”!
    Is it though?

Plenty of people have posted on here that even if we had Pep here he wouldn't get the team up. So who's fault would that be?

I wish those who have left the best - this is a good test of how good IB's coaching prowess is.

People can say what they want about IB and AC getting jobs higher up the pyramid but we never really looked like getting promotion last season either automatic or through the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfists View Post
    People can say what they want about IB and AC getting jobs higher up the pyramid but we never really looked like getting promotion last season either automatic or through the playoffs.
    Agreed CF, even if we were only 30 seconds away and one needless push from undeservedly knocking out the eventual playoff winners. Although I am not sure how connected those two things are as highlighted above in my earlier post.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Agreed CF, even if we were only 30 seconds away and one needless push from undeservedly knocking out the eventual playoff winners. Although I am not sure how connected those two things are as highlighted above in my earlier post.
    I can't see why we have to keep on going on about 'undeservedly'.

A stupid push and a winning goal that the Grimsby manager said would have been ruled out by VAR.

Through the season, we get 'The mark of a good team is to win when you play badly'. I agree. Why is it any different in the play-offs?

I hope for a season that we can look for reasons why we lose (we won't win every game!), rather than excuses as to why we've won!

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    I can't see why we have to keep on going on about 'undeservedly'.

A stupid push and a winning goal that the Grimsby manager said would have been ruled out by VAR.

Through the season, we get 'The mark of a good team is to win when you play badly'. I agree. Why is it any different in the play-offs?

I hope for a season that we can look for reasons why we lose (we won't win every game!), rather than excuses as to why we've won!

It is just my opinion of that one game.

As you know m_m I am not a person who seeks to find excuses why we win games, I leave that firmly to others. But you make a very very good point, it would indeed be nice to discuss and focus on the games we don't win and why. Not sure you will get your wish mind#Viva

My point was although we didn't look likely to be promoted automatically throughout the season ( as CF stated) in the playoffs it is different we were very very close to going through in the QF without playing well in that one game.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast