+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Board must find a proven scorer after sales of Woodrow & Morris

Board must find a proven scorer after sales of Woodrow & Morris

Woodrow sale felt mutually beneficial for all parties but the sale of Morris feels a cut too deep. Sadly the reality of relegation.

I've written a few words here about it & what needs to happen now if the reds have any chance of getting out of League 1.

https://tykesblog.co.uk/what-the-bar...-star-striker/

Quote Originally Posted by manc_tyke View Post
    Woodrow sale felt mutually beneficial for all parties but the sale of Morris feels a cut too deep. Sadly the reality of relegation.

I've written a few words here about it & what needs to happen now if the reds have any chance of getting out of League 1.

https://tykesblog.co.uk/what-the-bar...-star-striker/
    Interesting stuff Manc. Pretty much as most of us see things.

You havent mentioned Collins who I believe could also be moved along. You could argue that we have a replacement in Walton so that move would be covered without the need for further recruitment.

There is also the matter of a £3 mil loan from EFL to repay that stacks on top of the £7-8 mil lost in TV money and the reduction in ticket sales and commercial revenue. We are well in the mire and we know where the responsibility for this mess lies. The credibility of this new board rests with managing this situation, making us competitive on the field, reengaging with the fans and ousting Lee and Conway from any connection with the club. I dont know the mechanisms for the latter but there are people like me who will never fully engage again whilst those individuals are connected to the club, they are charlatans.

Don't see what all the fuss is about new strikers.
    All we need to do is travel up the road and shout down the nearest mine shaft that we need a couple of strikers and a midfield general and hey presto............oh hang on a minute........

We could try contact centres or distribution warehouses. Might even get em on a zero hours contract, that'll save even more.

Yep - strike force is definitely the weakest department at the moment.

Currently …..
    Goalkeepers - 2, maybe 3 good uns.
    Centre backs - plenty of options.
    Midfield - as it stands we need an older midfield leader - but other than that we are fine.

Strikers - now Morris has gone we have no guaranteed goals in the team - NONE.
    Cole - I’m expecting him to come good.
    Leya - inconsistent.
    Obbi - always injured.
    Victor - had his chances and done nowt.
    Four younger strikers that I know nowt about - they might come good - but then again they might not.

At the very least we need 5 decent strikers at the club who are able to endure a long haul season with all that it brings including injuries and suspensions.
    At the moment we have JUST ONE - and he’s only in the might come good bracket.

So IMO - we need far more than just another goal scorer.
    We need ….
    2 target strikers.
    2 quick over the grass strikers.

So as things stand at the moment we need 5 players to replace those that have left - a midfield general and 4 strikers.
    However - things are very unlikely to stay as they are with players leaving - so those leaving will also need replacing.
    Last edited by Young_Nudger; 07-07-2022 at 11:20 AM.

Strikers - now WOODROW & Morris has gone we have no guaranteed goals in the team - NONE.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    Yep - strike force is definitely the weakest department at the moment.

Currently …..
    Goalkeepers - 2, maybe 3 good uns.
    Centre backs - plenty of options.
    Midfield - as it stands we need an older midfield leader - but other than that we are fine.

Strikers - now Morris has gone we have no guaranteed goals in the team - NONE.
    Cole - I’m expecting him to come good.
    Leya - inconsistent.
    Obbi - always injured.
    Victor - had his chances and done nowt.
    Four younger strikers that I know nowt about - they might come good - but then again they might not.

At the very least we need 5 decent strikers at the club who are able to endure a long haul season with all that it brings including injuries and suspensions.
    At the moment we have JUST ONE - and he’s only in the might come good bracket.

So IMO - we need far more than just another goal scorer.
    We need ….
    2 target strikers.
    2 quick over the grass strikers.

So as things stand at the moment we need 5 players to replace those that have left - a midfield general and 4 strikers.
    However - things are very unlikely to stay as they are with players leaving - so those leaving will also need replacing.
    Nudge. 3 from the goalkeeper/defenders will be gone. Painted on.

Quote Originally Posted by EthelRed View Post
    Interesting stuff Manc. Pretty much as most of us see things.

You havent mentioned Collins who I believe could also be moved along. You could argue that we have a replacement in Walton so that move would be covered without the need for further recruitment.

There is also the matter of a £3 mil loan from EFL to repay that stacks on top of the £7-8 mil lost in TV money and the reduction in ticket sales and commercial revenue. We are well in the mire and we know where the responsibility for this mess lies. The credibility of this new board rests with managing this situation, making us competitive on the field, reengaging with the fans and ousting Lee and Conway from any connection with the club. I dont know the mechanisms for the latter but there are people like me who will never fully engage again whilst those individuals are connected to the club, they are charlatans.
    We are well stacked for keepers but I can't see many coming in for Collins and if they did he wouldn't go for much.
    I wasn't aware of the extra £3m which does put a worrying slant on things. If Duff gets them playing well and winning that will put bums on seats as Stendel did in League 1.

Quote Originally Posted by POGGYWELL View Post
    Strikers - now WOODROW & Morris has gone we have no guaranteed goals in the team - NONE.
    If there was one player who I thought was a waste of space last season - it would be Woodrow.
    On the other hand I considered Morris our best player.

And yes I know some people like Woodrow - but I’d let him have a free run up to kick me int ballax - cos guaranteed he’d miss.

Out of the present strikers we’ve got I’d keep Cole and the 4 young uns ….. the rest can leave.

Still time for Cole to go yet !
    Reds players ‘not in control’ of moves, warns boss Duff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast