+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lionesses win their Euros group in some style

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    The womens game is still developing and there remains a massive gulf in quality between countries and clubs.
    That's just it though - there really shouldn't have been a big gulf between England and Norway on paper. England are ranked 8th in the world and Norway 11th. Norway have players from WSL teams like Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal etc. - as well as forwards from Barca and Lyon, this year's Champions League finalists.

Even in the high scoring world of women's football - this was a really remarkable result.

Quote Originally Posted by DomdomPie View Post
    That's just it though - there really shouldn't have been a big gulf between England and Norway on paper. England are ranked 8th in the world and Norway 11th. Norway have players from WSL teams like Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal etc. - as well as forwards from Barca and Lyon, this year's Champions League finalists.

Even in the high scoring world of women's football - this was a really remarkable result.
    Absolutely, was definitely a very good result, I was talking about the gulf in quality on a broader scale, not just about the game last night.

Last night was the first time I've seen the Lionesses in a few years and the improvement - even allowing for the abysmal opposition - was huge. More athleticism, more skill, more strength - and a great sense of relentlessness, even when 7-0 up. Very impressive and, as others have said, having a proper coach helps (rather than Phil Neville).

Women's football, nobody cares

Quote Originally Posted by maddogslater View Post
    Not true.

Quote Originally Posted by maddogslater View Post
    I'm with you Maddog...!!
    I'd rather have my crack and sack sandpapered with a black and decker than suffer watching one of their games and then sit and watch the women analysists analyse...! ...

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    I'm with you Maddog...!!
    I'd rather have my crack and sack sandpapered with a black and decker than suffer watching one of their games and then sit and watch the women analysists analyse...! ...
    👍

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    The womens game is still developing and there remains a massive gulf in quality between countries and clubs. That said it will only continue to improve as the coaching of girls improves.

Something that’s noticeable about the girls/womens set up at Notts for example is the quality of coaching they’re getting from U10s upwards. Notts girls teams appear to be regularly beating boys teams in the younger age groups. If you watch the Notts womens team the playing style mimics that of the mens teams. Again, down to coaching. Personally I think it’s great and long may it continue.
    I don't think we've yet seen the full impact of the increasing profile being given to the women's game, and the effect it will have on young girls seeing teams like the Lionesses being successful. Lots more girls are now playing football from a young age and are able to regularly see women's football on TV, so the pool of young female players should grow steadily larger, and the depth of quality should improve with it, which in turn makes it more and more watchable. The snowball of women's football is definitely rolling and picking up speed imho.

I agree jackal2 it is rolling and picking up speed, but when you see the coverage it gets, it is hardly surprising. What narks me is the attempts made by the media to link it to the mens' game with ridiculous stats comparisons.
    The crowd also annoyed me the other night by singing 'Three Lions', sing your own songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpies1959 View Post
    I agree jackal2 it is rolling and picking up speed, but when you see the coverage it gets, it is hardly surprising. What narks me is the attempts made by the media to link it to the mens' game with ridiculous stats comparisons.
    The crowd also annoyed me the other night by singing 'Three Lions', sing your own songs.
    You must be easily annoyed! The song is basically about football coming home, in other words back to the place it started. I can't see why it should be gender specific, so well done to the women if they do what the men couldn't do.

Also "three lionesses on the shirt" doesn't quite fit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast