+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nature Watch

Nature Watch

The Buddleia is in full bloom, absolutely gorgeous. Some years it's thronged with butterflies, some years not so many. This year nothing, I haven't seen a single butterfly on it yet, not a one.

I find this is slightly disconcerting, they are rarer on my buddleia than a Wout Weghorst goal. Where are the butterflies, what's happened to them ?

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    The Buddleia is in full bloom, absolutely gorgeous. Some years it's thronged with butterflies, some years not so many. This year nothing, I haven't seen a single butterfly on it yet, not a one.

I find this is slightly disconcerting, they are rarer on my buddleia than a Wout Weghorst goal. Where are the butterflies, what's happened to them ?
    Our garden is full of bees and Cabbage Whites mon ami, it's also an all-time record for the variety of birds visiting our garden.

Without boring you:
    Jays (2 x pairs).
    Magpies - lots.
    Every identifiable breed of sparrows and tits - the long tailed tit fledglings are something special!
    Carrion crows and rooks (I feed them leftover meat and offal).
    Starlings in their numerous and various murmurations.
    We have a regular barn owl and a woodpecker or two.

Bats are six a penny at dusk.

We have deer visiting (I f*cking hate them with a passion!)
    Badgers, hedgehogs, toads and frogs. I built a frog pond for the grandkids to see our amphibian friends and it's usually rammed!

All in all, the West Pennine Moors is a cracking place to live, it's not the Ribble Valley but Rivington Pike takes some beating!

Sounds like paradise to me mon ami, but how are you for the commoner butterflies, Peacocks, Red Admirals, Painted Ladies ? No sign of them here.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Sounds like paradise to me mon ami, but how are you for the commoner butterflies, Peacocks, Red Admirals, Painted Ladies ? No sign of them here.
    None here either mon ami.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Our garden is full of bees and Cabbage Whites mon ami, it's also an all-time record for the variety of birds visiting our garden.

Without boring you:
    Jays (2 x pairs).
    Magpies - lots.
    Every identifiable breed of sparrows and tits - the long tailed tit fledglings are something special!
    Carrion crows and rooks (I feed them leftover meat and offal).
    Starlings in their numerous and various murmurations.
    We have a regular barn owl and a woodpecker or two.

Bats are six a penny at dusk.

We have deer visiting (I f*cking hate them with a passion!)
    Badgers, hedgehogs, toads and frogs. I built a frog pond for the grandkids to see our amphibian friends and it's usually rammed!

All in all, the West Pennine Moors is a cracking place to live, it's not the Ribble Valley but Rivington Pike takes some beating!
    The abundance of magpies is C Packhams fault Bt and in his infinite wisdom he’s putting most other smaller bird species at risk as no
    Culling of vermin ( magpies ) has a knock on effect.

Your lucky with the Barn Owl ( magnificent creature ).

I have some great butterflies on the moor that Sinkov s asking about and Bull finch , Gold finch , and a Short Eared Owl.

The deer are plentiful here but are carriers of ticks / TB and Weil s disease - they also need to be controlled as they’re breeding like wildfire aswel now.

Just to keep you boys up to date.Butterflies are insects in the macrolepidoptera clade Rhopatocera from the order of Lepidoptera.Just one of the things I was taught in the first year at Haslingden Grammar

Quote Originally Posted by barrie_burn View Post
    Just to keep you boys up to date.Butterflies are insects in the macrolepidoptera clade Rhopatocera from the order of Lepidoptera.Just one of the things I was taught in the first year at Haslingden Grammar
    It must have been a laugh a minute my mate.

We brought up an owl that fell out of its nest.

Name:  DB998162-D4A1-4637-9ABA-C11BF9499FB1.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  14.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ClaretinBudapest View Post
    We brought up an owl that fell out of its nest.

Name:  DB998162-D4A1-4637-9ABA-C11BF9499FB1.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  14.4 KB
    Awwwwwww!

We have swifts nesting in our eaves but when the chicks fall out of those nests it's a one way trip to birdy heaven as our concrete patio takes no prisoners. 6 to date this summer., though the last two were showing signs of feathers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)