+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Thistle friendly

Thistle friendly

KVV. Ojala and McGinn missing with. "knocks". Hmmm .

Ojala no surprise - might be nothing but after last year an ominous start to the season.
    McGinn meh, no worries.
    KVV gives me the fear though - without him we just look toothless, on paper, and you can see a lot of huff and puff on Thursday if he doesn't recover.

As I said weeks ago hope we were not going to sign players at end of transfer window just to make numbers up due to injuries etc. We should have been getting players in early particularly with early European games and a lack of friendlies

Quote Originally Posted by texaco cup View Post
    As I said weeks ago hope we were not going to sign players at end of transfer window just to make numbers up due to injuries etc. We should have been getting players in early particularly with early European games and a lack of friendlies
    You've got it the wrong way round imho...players signed early are those willing to settle for us quickly because think they won't do better. Those signed at the end of the window should be the ones who had other options to consider or perhaps only became available late on because their club signed someone new.

As with everything, a bit of column A a bit of column B is probably the way to go...but there's absolutely no point worrying till we see how things look at the end of August.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome_Devil View Post
    Ojala no surprise - might be nothing but after last year an ominous start to the season.
    McGinn meh, no worries.
    KVV gives me the fear though - without him we just look toothless, on paper, and you can see a lot of huff and puff on Thursday if he doesn't recover.
    van Veen will be crucial for us this season so if he is carrying an injury and likely to be missing any part of the season then that will be a hammer blow for us.

Quote Originally Posted by LawSteelman View Post
    van Veen will be crucial for us this season so if he is carrying an injury and likely to be missing any part of the season then that will be a hammer blow for us.
    Agree 100%. I didn't understand us not bringing in a back-up in January but fair enough, perhaps we decided after losing out on Rudden the right guy for the right price just wasn't there then. And we got away with it.

Ending another window, to enter a full season starting from scratch, with only one true number nine however is madness. Which is not to write off (completely) any of the other forwards; their movement today was good and they even had some nice moments but not a single one of them is a viable outlet/target and anyone better than Thistle will simply hem us in or force us to hoof it aimlessly all day.

It's incredibly hard for Motherwell to ever find top back-up in what I'd call the unique positions, namely goalie and centre forward in a three - we don't want to pay decent wages for a guy to sit on the bench and conversely most decent players don't want to sit on our bench. But if there's no suitable youth available we need to at least try and find someone because if KVV breaks his leg on Sept 1 we're serious relegation candidates regardless of what the rest of the side do.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)