+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Match day Thread: Stevenage v Rams

Match day Thread: Stevenage v Rams

Anyone going?

I guess the result isn’t massively important but a performance like the last two would be great

When I realised how close it is to Luton Airport and my mate's boozer in Henlow, I checked flights... £350 so I'll be watching on RamsTV. Totally agree with the result thing, not greatly important. Performance and minutes under the belt being the 2 main ingredients for these matches.

On various L1 pages on FB, Rams fans are winding the others up with claims of we're going to walk the League.... the bait is working and all the non-Rams are going ape over it. Come the Oxford game we have to remember that we are 2 to 3 weeks behind the rest in our preparation. Players like Dave Mac and others are obviously not as fit as they would like, putting it mildly. That may well have a negative impact on some of our opening games.

Rams win, of course

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    When I realised how close it is to Luton Airport and my mate's boozer in Henlow, I checked flights... £350 so I'll be watching on RamsTV. Totally agree with the result thing, not greatly important. Performance and minutes under the belt being the 2 main ingredients for these matches.

On various L1 pages on FB, Rams fans are winding the others up with claims of we're going to walk the League.... the bait is working and all the non-Rams are going ape over it. Come the Oxford game we have to remember that we are 2 to 3 weeks behind the rest in our preparation. Players like Dave Mac and others are obviously not as fit as they would like, putting it mildly. That may well have a negative impact on some of our opening games.

Rams win, of course
    Yes I'm just hoping all these 'announce promotion' comments don't come back and bite us with our relatively short prep. You know better than I I guess but lack of prep might 'catch up with us' rather than show from the off

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Yes I'm just hoping all these 'announce promotion' comments don't come back and bite us with our relatively short prep. You know better than I I guess but lack of prep might 'catch up with us' rather than show from the off
    Ha you might not have got here, the runway tarmac melted yesterday and flights diverted!

Well its not too far from me, but I'm not bothered in this heat watching 22 players do walking football!!

I think we seem to be OK fitness wise MA, but a slow start is fine as long as we don't lose touch with the pack leaders. 6 or so pts means nothing until after the turn of the year.

As for those fans getting giddy over promotion, well there are always those with short memories, hopefully we will be competitive at the top half, any more than that will be a bonus.

Bit of a wake-up call that first half. Pretty clear that we will be continuing the tippy tappy no matter who the opposition, and we are currently worse at it than before. Also way too conservative when advancing through midfield, too eager to step on the ball and turn back. Gonna be long season if that’s the plan. Just imo

Just listened to Liam's post match interview on RamsTV. He didn't like the lack of urgency, the propensity to go backwards. He's working on it. Apparently they did an awful lot of hard work yesterday and he thought they might be a bit leggy. He also emphasised the fact that the squad has been arriving in dribs and drabs over the past 2 weeks and not all are as fit as he would have liked. Catch up time. Yet another knock on effect of Administration and Kirchner messing us about.

With regard to last night's game, I think we'd better get used to it. This is what other fans have in the back of their mind when they rise to the "we're going to walk the league" posts on L1 FB pages and other fora. L1 and L2 have less "footballing" sides. They make up for it with a lot of effort and good organisation, let's call it more "industrial" football. It's that very kind of "industrial" game that Derby have not done well against in all my time watching them and my first game was back in 1961. We didn't roll over Bradford who play that way but scraped a 1-0 win, lost to Stevenage who play that way, Deservedly beat Berlin who came to play "proper" football. In 10 days time we play Oxford in the opening game of the season. They started pre season a week before us with a full squad. We started with a handful of players and that gradually increased. In essence we are 2 weeks, maybe 3 weeks, behind the opposition and, despite the quality of the players we have signed, many are not as fit as they should be 10 days before the season starts in earnest due to them only recently having signed and not having a full pre season in their legs. This may not be the walk in the park some fans expect.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Just listened to Liam's post match interview on RamsTV. He didn't like the lack of urgency, the propensity to go backwards. He's working on it. Apparently they did an awful lot of hard work yesterday and he thought they might be a bit leggy. He also emphasised the fact that the squad has been arriving in dribs and drabs over the past 2 weeks and not all are as fit as he would have liked. Catch up time. Yet another knock on effect of Administration and Kirchner messing us about.

With regard to last night's game, I think we'd better get used to it. This is what other fans have in the back of their mind when they rise to the "we're going to walk the league" posts on L1 FB pages and other fora. L1 and L2 have less "footballing" sides. They make up for it with a lot of effort and good organisation, let's call it more "industrial" football. It's that very kind of "industrial" game that Derby have not done well against in all my time watching them and my first game was back in 1961. We didn't roll over Bradford who play that way but scraped a 1-0 win, lost to Stevenage who play that way, Deservedly beat Berlin who came to play "proper" football. In 10 days time we play Oxford in the opening game of the season. They started pre season a week before us with a full squad. We started with a handful of players and that gradually increased. In essence we are 2 weeks, maybe 3 weeks, behind the opposition and, despite the quality of the players we have signed, many are not as fit as they should be 10 days before the season starts in earnest due to them only recently having signed and not having a full pre season in their legs. This may not be the walk in the park some fans expect.
    Indeed MA.
    As said before, you will get kicked to death. Stifled, frustrated, bored and hustled.
    It was 3 years of nightmares for me.

Let’s keep a sense of perspective here. As MA says...anyone who thinks we’re going to ‘walk the league’ is deluded, but this was the second of three matches in a week, played on the hottest evening in the UK ever, by a side where the personnel are still getting to know each other.

We shouldn’t be worried about last night anymore than we should be complacent following the Bradford and Hertha performances.

There’ll be many more changes before Oxford and before the ‘window’ closes. It’ll take a while but we’re on the right path imo.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Let’s keep a sense of perspective here. As MA says...anyone who thinks we’re going to ‘walk the league’ is deluded, but this was the second of three matches in a week, played on the hottest evening in the UK ever, by a side where the personnel are still getting to know each other.

We shouldn’t be worried about last night anymore than we should be complacent following the Bradford and Hertha performances.

There’ll be many more changes before Oxford and before the ‘window’ closes. It’ll take a while but we’re on the right path imo.
    I’m only concerned if some of the more negative/conservative aspects of our play are being coached in (or not coached out), there were a number of times when we had a reasonable advancing position and the player on the ball just turned and went backwards. Thompson especially didn’t seem to know which way we were playing. Only bright spot for me was Roberta and barkhuisens interaction down the left

Rosenier did say in his interview after that that is not what he wanted, and was disappointed in it himself. Hopefully just some cobwebs from previous clubs from our new players, and we'll see it coached out with some more positive football as we progress.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)