+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Feels flat

We could also do a who will win the league thread but we aren't allowed to pick FC Hollywood (currently 6/4).

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    It baffles me how anyone can be disappointed about a pre season. Particularly this one.
    So far we have managed to retain our best players… I wish the transfer window closed today.
    We have replaced 30 goals (Wootton and Sam) with 60 goals (Langstaff, Scott and Austin). Yes they are not proven at this level, however, scoring a hattrick against an EFL side shows some class.
    We did most of our business early doors, so players can integrate in to the squad nice and early, giving us our best chance of hitting the ground running.
    We have LW who many have praised as an upgrade on IB in terms of presence on the side lines and his honest appraisals of performances… we have won a fair few games but he is still demanding more. All whilst never playing his strongest side. Compare the sides that have played the friendlies with the opening day when it arrives.
    We are proactively looking to bolster the midfield, and are doing so with patience. Several players have had a trial. It’s not the scattergun approach we have become accustomed too.
    We are getting things right behind the scenes, the pitch and floodlights being an example. As well as securing a high profile home friendly with our neighbours.

So no. I’m not underwhelmed by the preseason. As far as I can see it’s very much on track. I am looking forward to seeing what LW and this squad can achieve.
    Well said. It does make me wonder if we as a club and fan base have become accustomed to drama and crisis. As such when things are stable as they are now it is somewhat of a culture shock.

The club should be commended on the hard work that has been done to get us to a point where we managed to get most business sorted by the time the players came back for pre-season training at the start of the month. A new manager, back room staff and players all in the door.

Personally I do not give a jolt or care what the team are doing in pre-season training and don’t need to be updated with clips of LW and is assistant being mic’d up giving out instructions in training and some players running around in bibs. As long as they are working on improving on our shortfalls last season and finding how to get wins away from home to lesser teams that’s all that matters for me.

Neither do I need to know who may or not be leaving or who might be coming in player wise. I’ve had enough and an sick to the back teeth of previous owners shouting from the rooftops what they are and are not doing for things to fall apart for one reason or another.

Let’s enjoy the friendly game against our neighbours. That might relieve the boredom for some.

If it’s boring or quiet to some in pre-season when the club is being well run and stable then bring it on. All that matters to me is what we do on the field from the first game of the season to the last.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    I'm not on about squad performance, just the general communication coming out of the club. You maybe correct in that previous seasons we have come to expect a lot from the media team but it just seems dead.

It's scraping the barrel speaking to the head groundsman about the heatwave but they then forget to mention anything about the new floodlights? Just feels half hearted
    Maybe they're happy to let the football do the talking? I hate nothing more than happy clappy comms from the media team to appease fans thirst for information.

Just be patient, proper football will be back soon

I remember last season, nearly everyone to a tee ripping into Nigel Clough for his post-match interview where he tore Elliott Hewitt a new one.

Didn't do too badly after that did he?

Listen to Simon Ferry talk about Di Canio. Nothing but absolute praise and saying he played his best football under him whilst at Swindon who famously subbed and berated his goalkeeper (who went on to play for Rangers).

Think people passing comment and suggesting he ought to change it up might take notice of the advice nearly all managers give to new managers - be your own man. If this is how LW feels he can motivate the players to improve or not rest on their laurels then let him crack on. If you want to finish top and get promoted it won't be with a squad who don't take responsibility for bad individual performances or a meek dressing room.

Quote Originally Posted by tommopie8 View Post
    I remember last season, nearly everyone to a tee ripping into Nigel Clough for his post-match interview where he tore Elliott Hewitt a new one.

Didn't do too badly after that did he?

Listen to Simon Ferry talk about Di Canio. Nothing but absolute praise and saying he played his best football under him whilst at Swindon who famously subbed and berated his goalkeeper (who went on to play for Rangers).

Think people passing comment and suggesting he ought to change it up might take notice of the advice nearly all managers give to new managers - be your own man. If this is how LW feels he can motivate the players to improve or not rest on their laurels then let him crack on. If you want to finish top and get promoted it won't be with a squad who don't take responsibility for bad individual performances or a meek dressing room.
    Totally agree. The football manager/player dynamic is a bit like the teacher/pupil dynamic back in school. The teachers who used to struggle to control a class were the ones who tried to be something they weren't, whether it was acting strict or easy-going. The kids could see straight through frauds and had no respect for them from day one. As long as Luke Williams' management persona is an extension of his normal personality and not an act, then the players are more likely to relate to him and trust him. There is no single 'right' way to manage people, but if a manager is going to build trust with the players then they must be authentic and true to themselves.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567