+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

View Poll Results: Where will we finish?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Where will we finish 2022/23?

Quote Originally Posted by Observerpie View Post
    I've gone for 4th, I think we're still missing a midfielder who can put his foot in.
    This.

I think Langstaff and Scott are capable of replacing the goals we got through Wootton, but the lack of steel in midfield is beginning to become an ongoing saga, similar to the way we went about three years without having a proper centre-half, which was as big a factor as any in our relegation from the league.

I don't care how much football you would like to play, I still think in this league (and pretty much any of the lower leagues) you need that defensive midfielder who can win the ball and stand up to an aggressive opponent. Many of the greatest passing sides in football history with lots of talented footballers still had their 'water carrier' who could tackle, win the ball and pass it simply to the players who could express themselves more. Think Didier Deschamps for the great France side of the late 90s, or Dunga for Brazil.

If we don't fill that gap in midfield, I don't see us bettering last season's performance (4th) even if we keep the likes of Roberts and Rodrigues. We could be the league's 'nice' team to play again.
    Last edited by jackal2; 24-07-2022 at 01:03 AM.

Perhaps we should construct an impassioned letter with detailed reasons why there is an almost universal demand for this type of central midfielder.

We could strongly express our long standing concerns on this matter and stress the importance of what us unqualified amateurs strongly feel. We of course have the benefit of seeing what's been consistently missing under IB and NA previously.

Or we need a 'meet the manager' evening where NCM folk ask the same question in a variety of ways to get home the point.

Either or might assist the new management duo.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 24-07-2022 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Fixed typos for clarity

Voted 7th, why, don't really know, guess I've had all the optimism knocked out of me after 70 years...

Total guesswork at this stage, but I’m gonna say 9th. I saw a discussion about our chances on Twitter and an opposition fan said he didn’t fancy us because we’ve appointed another ‘no mark manager’. I sort of agree.

There’s nothing in the coach’s record to suggest he’s going to get us in the top 3 of this league. If you look at the teams who’ve been promoted from the NL since we’ve been in it, all of them have had coaches/managers who’ve played in it or successfully managed in it, except maybe Evatt.

I don’t think our recruitment has been strong enough either. Francis is still in the team and JOB is still in the squad. Not enough players who’ve done it at this level. Solihull have just signed Josh Kelly, I’ve no idea why we weren’t in for him.

I’ll be very happy to change my mind about all of the above after about 10 minutes against Maidenhead.
    Last edited by BigFatPie; 24-07-2022 at 12:38 PM.

Fair points BFP. But can I imagine 8 club's who have a better squad than Notts? If not, then it's on the coaching duo surely if that came to pass?

A 9th placed finish would be disastrous, right?

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Fair points BFP. But can I imagine 8 club's who have a better squad than Notts? If not, then it's on the coaching duo surely if that came to pass?

A 9th placed finish would be disastrous, right?
    9th place would be disastrous in football terms. As I’ve said before, this is the first non league season which we’ve gone into with a new coach, so we’re all fumbling in the dark when we’re guessing about how things might turn out. Higher risk, but higher possible reward I suppose.

5th.

If we get a couple more in that we need especially CM then 2nd.

Question BFP, which 8 have bigger budgets, better players and "some marks managers", to put us in 9th. Not saying you or they are wrong but wanted to delve into the logic of this, I seriously do not have enough knowledge to answer that question myself.

Nowhere near play offs. Mid table

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast