+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: End of an era

Think the FP was still available in 96/97 as remember buying 1st house & went to the local shop to get it. Saturday nights weren't the same if you didn't get it.

I love the fact it was so hot off the press that each week a handful of matches hadn't finished and results weren't known.

It was the sort of publication that at that age I read every word, cover to cover.

Happy memories of the Football Post here too! To think there was once a time when to stay in touch with everything Notts (including simply finding out the result if you missed it on radio/ TV) you had that and you had 'Clubline', the premium rate club news phone service.

Used to prefer the old Football News.

It used to be around late 80's early 90's as I used to get it from top of of the Victoria Centre on my way home. it was always a race to get it and then make my bus with all the results to read. Great old days indeed beats a bloody phone hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    Top front-page headline ever? “Notts Supreme as Forest Flounder” from the mid-70s.
    NOTTS SUPREME AS FOREST FLOUNDER

That's one of my best memories as a Notts fan and one that will never leave me, so I had to do it in capitals and large bold type!

The Football post was the bible in the pre-internet days. After a home game I caught the bus back from Mount Street bus station and waited for the van to arrive at the local newsagents, after an away game I sprinted off the much missed 'Magpie special' train at Midland station to beat the queue to the bloke who was always selling them outside however late we got back. I still take more satisfaction from finishing above Forest in the league back then than I did from us reaching Division One.

The coverage always seemed fair, these days that headline would read "Unlucky Forest lose to fortunate Notts".

Quote Originally Posted by Killerkline View Post
    It was definitely available after that. I’m pretty sure it was available 92/93, possibly later.
    It was still available when I graduated from paper boy to opening up the local shop in 1997. It stopped before I did in 1999.

Many memories of a walk into town after the game to pick one up literally got off the press at Forman street where it was printed in the eighties. Hard to imagine nowadays, but it was the only real source of the league table.
    Last edited by The_Don_ORiordan; 24-07-2022 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Don_ORiordan View Post
    Hard to imagine nowadays, but it was the only real source of the league table.
    Not just "the league table", but a pretty comprehensive section on all the local amateur footy tables. It was almost a week later, but it was the only update I could get on how our rivals in the Sunday morning team I played for had got on!

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    According to this, Footy Post finished in 1980?

https://www.inspireculture.org.uk/do...or_website.pdf
    That was probably the Football news

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast