+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: End of an era

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    That was probably the Football news
    I think that website refers to when their particular archive goes up to. I'd hope that the central library have a copy of every edition, but who knows with all of the cutbacks over the years.

The sad thing about Notts coverage in the local paper is that you don't even get a proper match report online nowadays - just the live blog reporting on major incidents like goals and mushy peas running out in the press box. Not sure if there's a match report in the Monday newspaper or after a night match.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    That was probably the Football news
    That was 1963, Colin Slater was the Notts "Football News" Reporter, they merged that year with the Evening Post and Colin then ended up reporting for "The Football Post".

Were either of them ever printed on pink sheets? A lot of other town's footballer papers were and generally became known as 'the pinks'. I remember buying the Birmingham one on the way back from Molineux which I think was pink. Teletext probably did a lot of damage to sales once that became widespread in the mid-1980s having begun in 1974.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    That was 1963, Colin Slater was the Notts "Football News" Reporter, they merged that year with the Evening Post and Colin then ended up reporting for "The Football Post".

Were either of them ever printed on pink sheets? A lot of other town's footballer papers were and generally became known as 'the pinks'. I remember buying the Birmingham one on the way back from Molineux which I think was pink. Teletext probably did a lot of damage to sales once that became widespread in the mid-1980s having begun in 1974.
    Football News was pink.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post

That's the main thing I remember about it... it was coloured pink!

It was truly amazing how quickly after 5pm it became available at our local newsagents.

All part of the 1970s saturday ritual. Listening to Radio 2 sports report at 5pm on the way home then later you'd have the FP to go with tea.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Ross View Post
    That's the main thing I remember about it... it was coloured pink!

It was truly amazing how quickly after 5pm it became available at our local newsagents.

All part of the 1970s saturday ritual. Listening to Radio 2 sports report at 5pm on the way home then later you'd have the FP to go with tea.
    The problem was that if anything significant happened in the last 10 minutes or so of the game, it would be compressed into a single line (probably written by the editor or secretary typing it all up in the office). So you could have a long rambling report on what was apparently destined to be a goalless draw and how frustrating it had been for Notts and the crowd, then all of a sudden - right at the end as an afterthought - "Les Bradd scored twice in the last 5 minutes to win it for Notts" with no details of how the goals went in.
    They would have been under pressure to get the paper on sale in the city centre before supporters walked by the newspaper stands and caught their bus home.

A massive increase in people with cars in the late 60s/70s would likely have had a big impact on sales as well, with those people now driving straight home from the ground and not necessarily passing by a newsagents after they'd had a delivery.

I liked to be able to cut out a report and tuck it inside the programme, but I'd always settle for the Monday Evening Post report. The one Football Post I have still got (albeit just the front and back pages) is for when we beat Aston Villa 5-2.
    Last edited by upthemaggies; 25-07-2022 at 03:57 PM.

Happy days. There were about half a dozen of us who’d wait for the FP to be delivered at our local newsagents. Two of us were County fans! There was a lot of banter went on, as you can imagine. As EP mentioned, there was also excellent coverage of the local football scene, both Saturday and Sunday. We even had our team photo included once or twice.
    I also used to love the annual pocket sized handbook that used to be published many years ago. I had a set of them at one time but stupidly got rid of them when I was told I needed to downsize!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Marshall View Post
    I also used to love the annual pocket sized handbook that used to be published many years ago. I had a set of them at one time but stupidly got rid of them when I was told I needed to downsize!!
    Still got my dads set from 1968/69-1974/75, though the pages have all come loose in some of them. Curiously they have Derby and Leicester taking precedence on some of the front covers and overall there's actually more Notts than Fword during this period, we completely dominate the 1973/74 cover with images of Sirrel and a squad pic with only a small reproduction of Fwords new badge being announced in the bottom corner.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123