+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Assessment of squad, pre season & where we will finish in the league this season

Assessment of squad, pre season & where we will finish in the league this season

We have looked at recruitment, where the squad currently falls short and where we expect the reds to finish in the league this season. I suspect most will concur but be good to here everyone's thoughts on this.

https://tykesblog.co.uk/how-will-bar...m-this-season/

Quote Originally Posted by manc_tyke View Post
    We have looked at recruitment, where the squad currently falls short and where we expect the reds to finish in the league this season. I suspect most will concur but be good to here everyone's thoughts on this.

A good read Manc.
    I disagree about midfield - I think even if/when we lose Styles our midfield is at the very least adequate - and could well be our strongest area this season.

My concern - as recently posted in another thread - is the strike force - or should that be strikers that are big and strong enough to hold the ball up and get on the end of crosses.
    I think we need two of these players - one and a spare.

So importantly - EVERYTHING this season IMO depends on the acquisition of these two players.

If we don’t get these players in then I would guess at finishing 9th.
    If we do get them in - top 6 maybe top 2.

Quote Originally Posted by manc_tyke View Post

Good read that Manc , also a good assessment ,

A good read and assessment, I agree that even with Styles leaving we have a good enough Midfield for Division 3.
    Bringing in so many new players always causes ‘teething” problems as we have seen before at Oakwell, I think we will start the season poorly as the players get to know each other then pick up around November.
    If we can get a couple of half decent Strikers in our chances will improve as the ones we have don’t seem good enough, (not counting Norwood) although they could surprise us in this league?
    Starting the season with Cole and Aitchson up front shows how light we are up there! I’d like to see Jalo on the bench on Saturday, although only 16 he already looks better than Cole! Aitchson is a watch and see player as we have no idea what he’s gonna be like?
    Defence looks ok for this league and if Collins goes, Walton is a good replacement and there is confidence behind the new lad Searle.
    At this point I can only see mid table, a couple of Strikers brought in and It wouldn’t surprise me if we made the play off’s or finished nearer the bottom, it’s so unknown what we have!

Somewhere between mid table and 7th for me .

I just don't think the squad is any great shakes to be honest .

Happy to be surprised .

Around about 10 th for me which would hopefully give Duff the foundations to push on in the next season

I posted on another thread recently that I think we'll be ok at least, and shouldn't be struggling again.
    And while it also won't be a Play off challenge, about mid table or top half (9th) I reckon.
    But a good loan or cheap signing or two, and a bit of luck maybe, could make a difference. 👍

We will all have a better idea at 11:15 pm on September 1st.
    A few games will have been played - some of them tough fixtures - and we will know the strength of the squad by then.
    Which IMO is going to look quite a bit different to what we have now.

End of October for me. I’ll go for 10th

Firstly, thanks for reading the article and the comments. I think we agree that the squad will look differently between now and end of the transfer window with hopefully at least 1 if not 2 strikers in as we are short up top. There is no doubt this season is a rebuild and currently the squad should be top half, if we bring some quality in during the rest of this window then we may in my opinion push for the play offs.

As Duff has said, this league is split into 2 leagues. Sides in the bottom half should be beatable home and away (accy, fleetwood, bristol rovers, etc) but the top half is littered with strong sides. I think those sides in the top half will beat each other and the side who finishes 6th may only need mid 70 points to achieve that rather than mid 80`s last season.

We shall see.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast