+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Knee taking … now only occasionally for prem league

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    You just sound incredibly naive, with a child-like understanding of the world.

Cam should know about all this, after defunding the police, the murder rate in Seattle went up 75%.

Then there's Soros funding the campaign of these anti-law and order, left-wing DAs.
    I certainly do. It was such a great idea! Now with the force at about 50% of what it was 2.5 years ago they are having to pay retention bonuses to keep who they have and signing on bonuses to fill the vacancies. In the meantime the city has become so bad, Starbucks who are headquartered here have just shut down 5 stores due to safety concerns, including one that served the building I work in (when I'm not hunkered down at home).

Quote Originally Posted by John2 View Post
    Communicating with people is one of the most fundamental parts of the human experience. Twitter is arguably the best way for players to engage.

It's easy to be cynical of their motivations, but like our reasons for using MillersMad they will be varied, and what they get out of it will vary. Many will simply be genuinely happy to engage positively with fans/community and enjoy their role as professionals. I doubt lower league players make any money out of Twitter so clearly many players just want to use it, rather than leverage it for gain. Even if the latter, that's a valid reason too.

It's a sad reflection on society where the solution being proposed is for people to exclude themselves from the largest open communications platform in human history.
    So would you rather twitter prevent racist / abusive comments appearing (which could possibly happen if they were losing enough money) or give a complete free reign so we can see what people really think?

Quote Originally Posted by Shark27 View Post
    So would you rather twitter prevent racist / abusive comments appearing (which could possibly happen if they were losing enough money) or give a complete free reign so we can see what people really think?
    Twitter is a private company that gets to decide its policies in the hopes it can remain an attractive proposition and world leader in its field.

I don't use it very much at all personally, nor do I have a strong opinion about the business model it pursues, but it would be nice if their decisions were guided more than by profit, and that abuse was not tolerated.

If people want to post hate the Internet is a free and open platform, and those platforms exist, and new ones can be created by anyone. It's just that the wider Internet has decided that's not the sort of platform they want to visit, and if Twitter adopted such an approach it is likely it would quickly lose its position as global leader.

Twitter is a private company that gets to decide its policies in the hopes it can remain an attractive proposition and world leader in its field.

I don't use it very much at all personally, nor do I have a strong opinion about the business model it pursues, but it would be nice if their decisions were guided more than by profit, and that abuse was not tolerated.

If people want to post hate the Internet is a free and open platform, and those platforms exist, and new ones can be created by anyone. It's just that the wider Internet has decided that's not the sort of platform they want to visit, and if Twitter adopted such an approach it is likely it would quickly lose its position as global leader.
    What do you mean by the wider internet?

The general population of the internet. "Most people"

There are cesspit versions of Twitter/reddit etc that are much more niche and do not appeal to the "wider internet".

The general population of the internet. "Most people"

There are cesspit versions of Twitter/reddit etc that are much more niche and do not appeal to the "wider internet".
    I was under the impression that people are using twitter as a cesspit though? If they aren’t then fine, there’s not a problem then is there?

We know that most people aren’t racist or certainly don’t go around saying racist insults. It’s the minority that cause the problem. I was thinking this is the problem on twitter and was looking for a solution to stop it happening.

If that means boycotting a website or stopping a football game then so be it. I don’t think it’s a problem with society overall though as it’s a small minority of people that we are trying to stop.

The additional conspiracy theories you throw in here don't support your bizzare assertion in any way. Forgive my superciliousness, but it's not me who is expressing a child-like level of comprehension or debate skills.
    Where's the conspiracy theory there?

You don't anything about American politics.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-i-s...ng-11659277441

https://nypost.com/2022/08/01/george...-crime-spikes/
    Last edited by great_fire; 06-08-2022 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    As people keep asking this, how about:

1. Creating a stronger awareness in the sporting public about racist abuse and actions experienced by black and other minority group players
    2. Creating a stronger sense of community and support among those experiencing discrimination and their colleagues in the changing rooms and workplaces that hear of the experiences of colleagues and support
    3. Creating a stronger sense of empowerment amongst those groups experiencing prejudice
    4. Providing a forum/media platform for individual role models to share their life experiences (as done by Adama Traore today in response to the knee developments
    5. It encourages other minority groups to relate their own lives to the experiences of the black and ethnic community in sport, raising the sense of not tolerating the abuse that black and ethnic players experience and how to come together in order to combat abuse
    Sorry but they are not achievements IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    Where's the conspiracy theory there?

You don't anything about American politics.
    When you mentioned Soros to defend your position that BLM was a conspiracy to take down Trump and make making money... I don't think it's a coincidence that Soros is Jewish and the consequential scepticism of the motivation behind his donations you infer.

Quote Originally Posted by Slimchance View Post
    Sorry but they are not achievements IMHO
    What a compelling argument, well made.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast