+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Dave's take on the loss of three or gain of a point against the Mad Hatters...

Dave's take on the loss of three or gain of a point against the Mad Hatters...

Dave Thornley gets his mojo on to deliver his verdict on Saturday’s home draw against the Mad Hatters…

On the evidence of yesterday afternoon’s initial home game of this Championship season, the visit to Turf Moor of Luton Town represented the type of opponents that Burnley will face on a fairly regular basis as the season progresses.

Well-drilled, physically strong, and hardworking, the visitors were not about to be bedazzled by, and indulgent of, Burnley’s fledging slick passing game. Luton committed themselves to defending deep, denying space in Burnley’s attacking third, and generally being a nuisance.

As early as the fifth minute, the Hatters had themselves a lead to try and preserve; a cross from the left of the kind Burnley fans have become accustomed to seeing Ben Mee head clear, or Nick Pope calmly pluck out of the air, instead induced hesitation between keeper Aro Muric and his defenders, which soon became a goalmouth scramble, and which was resolved by Luton’s Potts stabbing the ball home.

For the remainder of the first half Luton dealt with a fair degree of comfort with Burnley’s efforts to establish a foothold in the game.

It was gratifying therefore to see that Burnley were able to make the necessary adjustments, increase their tempo and haul themselves back into the contest. Shortly after the restart, they were level; the ball breaking to Josh Brownhill on the edge of the box and the midfielder curling a sumptuous first-time shot into the corner of the Luton goal. Brownhill doesn’t score many, but when he does, they tend to be spectacular.

From then on, Burnley pressed for a winning goal which stubbornly refused to come. Ashley Barnes and new signing Manuel Benson – introduced as a substitute and certain to become a crowd favourite with his impish close control – each came close but the pattern of the second half was for Burnley pressure to become embroiled in Luton’s defensive web.

In the end, Clarets fans were left with a mixture of emotions, the most prevalent of which were disappointment at the failure to win and encouragement at the second half performance.

For many of those fans it was the first opportunity to check out what was to all intents and purposes an entirely new squad.
    In addition to Benson, it is clear that Ian Maatsen is a player of genuine quality and there was a brief, but enticing cameo from Vitinho, he will no doubt feature more prominently as the season progresses.

In defence, after being accustomed to the comfort blanket provided by the trio of Ben Mee, James Tarkowski and Nick Pope; it looks as though a Kompany-style back line will be slightly more reckless in their defence of the Burnley goal, but more forthright in springing attacks from deep in their half. It may take some getting used to and it may cause a few more grey hairs, but it may also reap benefits.

Next up is another one of those confounded Friday night engagements, away to Watford, the challenges come thick and fast but early signs continue to give cause for optimism.

Attachment 22314

" a cross from the left of the kind Burnley fans have become accustomed to seeing Ben Mee head clear, or Nick Pope calmly pluck out of the air, instead induced hesitation between keeper Aro Muric and his defenders, which soon became a goalmouth scramble, and which was resolved by Luton’s Potts stabbing the ball home."

Seemed to me there were three consecutive piss poor headers, any one of which could/should have got the ball well clear of the danger area, which resulted in Luton reclaiming the ball on the edge of our box. Then Luton got the breaks you need in those situations, just one of those things, **** happens, nowt to panic about imo.

On the positive side, only one team with a 100% record after two games suggests this could be a wide open league this season, which is to our advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    " a cross from the left of the kind Burnley fans have become accustomed to seeing Ben Mee head clear, or Nick Pope calmly pluck out of the air, instead induced hesitation between keeper Aro Muric and his defenders, which soon became a goalmouth scramble, and which was resolved by Luton’s Potts stabbing the ball home."

Seemed to me there were three consecutive piss poor headers, any one of which could/should have got the ball well clear of the danger area, which resulted in Luton reclaiming the ball on the edge of our box. Then Luton got the breaks you need in those situations, just one of those things, **** happens, nowt to panic about imo.

On the positive side, only one team with a 100% record after two games suggests this could be a wide open league this season, which is to our advantage.
    I was on the Turf for this game mon ami, believe me our defending at set pieces will have the 23 other managers rubbing their hands with glee.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    I was on the Turf for this game mon ami, believe me our defending at set pieces will have the 23 other managers rubbing their hands with glee.
    If we can't defend set pieces, then I could use a grammar school analogy regarding our managers, but I won't.

But as we've lost Pope, Tarko, Mee and Collins, defending was always going to be an area of concern, it would be amazing if it wasn't.

I thought Haywood bellis applied himself very well after the goal
    Incident
    for a young man to be under considerable physical pressure from what can only be described as big galoots ( must have em in grow bags in Luton at an early age ) , he won more headers than he lost and Taylor made some good challenges interceptions as well.

They were play off teams 8/10 weeks ago and looked to me organised and very physical, but I came away thinking really we should have won , only the quality in the final third stopped that but I have a feeling Vincent will fix that shortly.

Bellis to me looks like the makings of a very good centre back

Quote Originally Posted by army88 View Post
    I thought Haywood bellis applied himself very well after the goal
    Incident
    for a young man to be under considerable physical pressure from what can only be described as big galoots ( must have em in grow bags in Luton at an early age ) , he won more headers than he lost and Taylor made some good challenges interceptions as well.

They were play off teams 8/10 weeks ago and looked to me organised and very physical, but I came away thinking really we should have won , only the quality in the final third stopped that but I have a feeling Vincent will fix that shortly.

Bellis to me looks like the makings of a very good centre back
    I watched Mee drop a giant clanger against Leicester, Pope was excellent for the Toon, Tarkowski 100% solid for the Toffees and Collins looked shaky against Bamford.

Vinny will work on the training ground to sort out defending at set pieces but I agree with you army88 TBH looks like the real deal, if we can sign him and Maatsen on permanent deals - what a statement of intent that would be.

My mate who is "in the know" at Turf Moor (he has worked there full time for 12 years now) told me yesterday Lowton and Long are free to leave. Could we nick a fee for the pair do you think?

"Could we nick a fee for the pair do you think? "

Possibly, but not one that's going to make much difference.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    "Could we nick a fee for the pair do you think? "

Possibly, but not one that's going to make much difference.
    I think Pace would be happy to have them off the wage bill, but will they go sinkov or just sit out their contracts?

The season so far has been like the Curate’s egg. Good in parts. A new era dawned on a Friday evening at Huddersfield that yielded a 1-0 win. In truth a free flowing Burnley so dominated possession and chances that the Clarets should have won more comfortably. That failure to translate possession into goals would come back to haunt them in their next league match. I managed to catch the whole of the Huddersfield game on Sky at the start of my holiday but by the Sunday we were on the Shropshire Union Canal and with no TV I listened to the commentary on England Women v Germany Women. Back in July 1966 I had hoped to watch the World Cup Final on our TV at home in Hampshire but my father dragged me off to Manchester on the morning of the match to go and meet my American cousin who had come over from New York to celebrate her 18th birthday. Listening to that final in ‘66 on the car radio as we drove up north was nerve shredding before England ultimately triumphed in extra time. 56 years and one day later the Lionesses again found an extra time winner. Back in May 1987 I was again on holiday with a radio listening to the Orient game. Maybe I should give the TV a miss more often.

On the back of the euphoria generated by the win at the John Smith’s Stadium many of us were confident of picking up another three points at home to Luton. The boys from Beds however had other ideas. They reached the Play Off Semi-Finals last season before bowing out to Huddersfield. Burnley had hardly climbed out of their beds before the Hatters took the lead. The introduction of Benson for the second half turned the tide. Manuel, not to be confused with a hapless Spanish waiter from Barcelona, is a livewire winger from Belgium and set to become a firm favourite in the Burnley evolution under Vincent Kompany. The opening two games have however shown the need for the Clarets to sign a new striker especially if Scott Twine is going to be unavailable for the next few games. Ashley Barnes who has performed admirably up front since signing for the Clarets in January 2014 is struggling to find his touch in front of goal. Proceeds from the sale of Maxwel Cornet to West Ham can surely help to land a proven goal scorer. One player rejuvenated under VK is Josh Brownhill. A superb strike capped a fine display against Luton and he promises to flourish in the Championship this season.

On a final note Manchester United began their season with a 2-1 home defeat to Brighton. Our final Premiership season started the same way. Lightning can surely not strike twice can it?

Quote Originally Posted by outwoodclaret View Post
    The season so far has been like the Curate’s egg. Good in parts. A new era dawned on a Friday evening at Huddersfield that yielded a 1-0 win. In truth a free flowing Burnley so dominated possession and chances that the Clarets should have won more comfortably. That failure to translate possession into goals would come back to haunt them in their next league match. I managed to catch the whole of the Huddersfield game on Sky at the start of my holiday but by the Sunday we were on the Shropshire Union Canal and with no TV I listened to the commentary on England Women v Germany Women. Back in July 1966 I had hoped to watch the World Cup Final on our TV at home in Hampshire but my father dragged me off to Manchester on the morning of the match to go and meet my American cousin who had come over from New York to celebrate her 18th birthday. Listening to that final in ‘66 on the car radio as we drove up north was nerve shredding before England ultimately triumphed in extra time. 56 years and one day later the Lionesses again found an extra time winner. Back in May 1987 I was again on holiday with a radio listening to the Orient game. Maybe I should give the TV a miss more often.

On the back of the euphoria generated by the win at the John Smith’s Stadium many of us were confident of picking up another three points at home to Luton. The boys from Beds however had other ideas. They reached the Play Off Semi-Finals last season before bowing out to Huddersfield. Burnley had hardly climbed out of their beds before the Hatters took the lead. The introduction of Benson for the second half turned the tide. Manuel, not to be confused with a hapless Spanish waiter from Barcelona, is a livewire winger from Belgium and set to become a firm favourite in the Burnley evolution under Vincent Kompany. The opening two games have however shown the need for the Clarets to sign a new striker especially if Scott Twine is going to be unavailable for the next few games. Ashley Barnes who has performed admirably up front since signing for the Clarets in January 2014 is struggling to find his touch in front of goal. Proceeds from the sale of Maxwel Cornet to West Ham can surely help to land a proven goal scorer. One player rejuvenated under VK is Josh Brownhill. A superb strike capped a fine display against Luton and he promises to flourish in the Championship this season.

On a final note Manchester United began their season with a 2-1 home defeat to Brighton. Our final Premiership season started the same way. Lightning can surely not strike twice can it?
    Fingers crossed eh Sir Outwood?

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)