+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 11 of 88 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Goalkeeper

Quote Originally Posted by Bannons boots View Post
    If players at clubs really operate this way when they dont like the manager then its a fkn disgrace. Wage thieves,cheating the fans,embarrassing the clubs standing & no pride in their own displays. Also how many players hated Jim McLean but still burst a gut on the pitch
    JYM obviously knew how to manage players and motivate them into a performance. You think JR can? I think it's clear the answer is no. It doesn't matter what we think of players not performing, ultimately it's JR's job to do it and he is failing miserably.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    JYM obviously knew how to manage players and motivate them into a performance. You think JR can? I think it's clear the answer is no. It doesn't matter what we think of players not performing, ultimately it's JR's job to do it and he is failing miserably.
    McLean had all the power back then! Players couldn’t down tools….for a start they’d lose out on appearance money, and bonus’. Then there was no Bosman either. They simply had to perform to move on.

This isn’t defending Jack Ross in any way but I’d be surprised if JYM’s methods would work in todays game. Most of the players would have chucked it under him now as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    I know & agree that the buck stops with the manager & in no way would I ever compare our greatest manager with anyone else who takes on the role but I can never get my head around the inference that,clubs where people say hes lost the dressing room or they have downed tools,its a deliberate act by the players to get rid of him. Yes the manager has to go but the players have been an utter disgrace during this ****storm of results

Quote Originally Posted by Sande_Man View Post
    McLean had all the power back then! Players couldn’t down tools….for a start they’d lose out on appearance money, and bonus’. Then there was no Bosman either. They simply had to perform to move on.

This isn’t defending Jack Ross in any way but I’d be surprised if JYM’s methods would work in todays game. Most of the players would have chucked it under him now as well.
    I'm not suggesting they can be compared, clearly things are far too different now. However, what's not different is that it's JR's responsibility to motivate these players into a performance (as JYM was) and he just cannot, for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Bannons boots View Post
    I know & agree that the buck stops with the manager & in no way would I ever compare our greatest manager with anyone else who takes on the role but I can never get my head around the inference that,clubs where people say hes lost the dressing room or they have downed tools,its a deliberate act by the players to get rid of him. Yes the manager has to go but the players have been an utter disgrace during this ****storm of results
    I kind of agree but it doesn't matter what we think of the players. They are the ones that are there and it's up to the head coach to get a performance out of them. Just not happening though and it is, 100%, JR's responsibility.

What motivation would there be for the keeper, McMann, Meekison, Freeman, Graham not to be busting a gut to day to establish themselves in the team? Levitt hoping to make the world cup? I've always thought we had quite an honest bunch of players, Alkmaar home was only about 3-4 weeks ago, what has changed so dramatically in that time? It can happen players down tools, but I'm more inclined to think it is happening at a subconscious level, the players are just totally rock bottom in confidence, and maybe have no confidence/faith in the managers tactics or they themselves can turn it round on the pitch. He should have just completely shut up shop at ht, and avoided further humiliation. Teams are just walking through us, the defence is no protection (not forgetting we seemingly even worse as an attacking force than last season despite having better players), and we have 2 dodgy keepers, although I have to say, I don't think the keeper did too much wrong today, which might sound ridiculous at 9-0, but most goals were walked in from about 2 yards out.

Quote Originally Posted by JUSTaway View Post
    the players are just totally rock bottom in confidence, and maybe have no confidence/faith in the managers tactics or they themselves can turn it round on the pitch.
    100% this and it's why I'm so concerned. Confidence doesn't come back overnight.

Both our current keepers are terrible. I said a few weeks ago if we don't sign a top quality no.1 we are going down and i stand by that.

Agree but no way Birighitti can be as bad as Eriksson - who I never want to see appear ever again for the first team

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    Agree but no way Birighitti can be as bad as Eriksson - who I never want to see appear ever again for the first team
    may I humbly suggest Zander Clark. I know our wage bill is 138% of our revenue.

Page 11 of 88 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)