+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- thoughts on the outrage of Souness ‘it’s a man’s game’ comment

Quote Originally Posted by BanjoPie View Post
    Don't we live in a country that supposedly has free-speech! perhaps he should have said "its a persons game"
    Saying it's a man's game is free speech is it not?

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    When the Spurs player pulled Cucurella's hair the opportunity to state that football is now a woman's game was missed.
    Serves the poser right. Get it cut or wear a bathing cap, a nice pink one with kittens on it, you fairy.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    Serves the poser right. Get it cut or wear a bathing cap, a nice pink one with kittens on it, you fairy.
    Had Souness said this, imagine which community would be booting off.
    Kurt Zouma’s team mates would also be fuming if he wore this bathing cap against WHU. They moaned as a player continued to make cat noises at KZ…

Everyone knows what he meant, you can't say alot of things thesedays without someone on social media not getting it. Don't like Souness as a pundit but nothing wrong with what he said. Aluko takes herself too seriously anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfists View Post
    Everyone knows what he meant, you can't say alot of things thesedays without someone on social media not getting it. Don't like Souness as a pundit but nothing wrong with what he said. Aluko takes herself too seriously anyway.
    I think the people who complained mostly do get what he meant deep down. But for whatever reason, they are driven by a need to be outraged. Anything to back up their victim mentality and idea that things are systematically and deliberately stacked against them. At least that's how it looks to me.

I haven't heard Souness' comment in context. But genderising hard tackling in football as being a purely male trait is a bit ***ist. It's also unfortunate timing, coming a couple of weeks after England's ladies managed to eclipse everything our mene team have done in the last 56 years.

For those arguing about free speech, it goes both ways. So far as I know no-one has executed Souness for his dinosaur comment. But it's fair enough for other people to pull him up on it too.

For clarity above I said s e x i s t

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSmithRules View Post
    I haven't heard Souness' comment in context. But genderising hard tackling in football as being a purely male trait is a bit ***ist. It's also unfortunate timing, coming a couple of weeks after England's ladies managed to eclipse everything our mene team have done in the last 56 years.

For those arguing about free speech, it goes both ways. So far as I know no-one has executed Souness for his dinosaur comment. But it's fair enough for other people to pull him up on it too.
    You should definitely have a listen to what he said to gain further context. It wasn’t about tough tackling in isolation, but more about the whole physical aspect of the games he had watched including players rolling around (which has reduced significantly since referees don’t blow for free kicks).
    I read somewhere that ‘it’s a man’s game’ as a phrase has been used to differentiate the men from the boys, rather than man v woman. This is the context I believe many feel Souness intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    You should definitely have a listen to what he said to gain further context. It wasn’t about tough tackling in isolation, but more about the whole physical aspect of the games he had watched including players rolling around (which has reduced significantly since referees don’t blow for free kicks).
    I read somewhere that ‘it’s a man’s game’ as a phrase has been used to differentiate the men from the boys, rather than man v woman. This is the context I believe many feel Souness intended.
    I don't think it matters whether you take it in or out of context - he was right either way.

In context it was obvious what he was saying, but even if we deliberately take his comments out of context, men are on average faster, stronger and more aggressive, so talking about this aspect of football as being a man's game is logical.

I can absolutely guarantee you that being tackled by the toughest tackling female footballer in the WSL and by the least tough tackling footballer in the PL are not comparable. Everyone knows this, including Karen Carney who literally squirmed in her seat as the presenter tried to make a false equivalence between her tackles and the point Souness was trying to make.

Also men's football is currently played more and watched more than women's football, so football is also overwhelmingly a man's game from that perspective too.

I don't see any way someone can attack Souness for this in good faith. It's a way to get your name trending on Twitter or get your name in the papers for a day, nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    I think the people who complained mostly do get what he meant deep down. But for whatever reason, they are driven by a need to be outraged. Anything to back up their victim mentality and idea that things are systematically and deliberately stacked against them. At least that's how it looks to me.
    Yeah true and to get more subscribers to their account. The womens team was well supported this summer, I hope that translates into more attending the league next season, we are well aware of how good the women were this summer and I enjoyed watching it. I enjoyed most the lack of rolling around and gamesmanship so each part of football has its own pluses and minuses. The comment was used so they be the victim as you say as they know what he meant. Social media alot of the time is crap.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast