+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: St Mirren at Home 20/8

quite sobering stats

Quote Originally Posted by moicher View Post
    quite sobering stats
    Why did anyone connected with United think this was the keeper who would suit our requirements?

My prediction for tomorrow (and I hope to god i'm right about this one) is that we will be rejuvenated and bring a good performance.

The start of the season has been hectic with little time in between games. The team has experienced a big high with some battering lows all in the short space of time. It was always difficult to recover from these mentally draining games. Not an excuse on the performances btw. We should be doing a lot better across the board but going Thursday, Sunday, Thursday to Sunday takes it's toll not just physically but mentally as well. No midweek game has allowed us to recharge and refocus the group. No Distractions and everything focussed on St Mirren. No looking back anymore. Time to start looking forward! Hopefully this will be shown tomorrow with an improved, sharp performance that will bring a win!

I would like to see Meekison, Cudjoe and even someone like Niskanen get a start this week.

Agree but I don’t think niskanen deserves a start. He does have a good engine and can track back. Defensively he does ok at times. However I was under the impression when we signed him that he was an attacking winger. He gets forwards but runs the ball into touch to often and his final ball’s a bit disappointing. When in a decent position he also hesitates or wants another touch before shooting Instead of putting the laces through (like most of our players in the final 3rd). He’s not a bad player but maybe my expectations outstrip the reality.

absolutely nae idea what line up we'll have but for me Clark needs to start up front with Fletcher

5 at back would be best to try protect the aussie szromnik, Freeman has to start we're more attacking when he's on

midfield, only guarantee is that Harkes will start, sadly

gonna be a tough game and we really need a performance and points on the board before the tims pump us next sunday, anything other than a win and i think we should be worrying, manager and players must surely be gelling now.

Quote Originally Posted by Arabknight View Post
    Agree but I don’t think niskanen deserves a start. He does have a good engine and can track back. Defensively he does ok at times. However I was under the impression when we signed him that he was an attacking winger. He gets forwards but runs the ball into touch to often and his final ball’s a bit disappointing. When in a decent position he also hesitates or wants another touch before shooting Instead of putting the laces through (like most of our players in the final 3rd). He’s not a bad player but maybe my expectations outstrip the reality.
    Completely agree with you regarding Niskanen. I just think he is one of those players who has not played much recently and maybe deserves a wee shot from the start. Also when struggling with form, you need workers in the team which he would bring compared to some of the other flair players. He definitely needs to show more when he does play but just think there are a few players who haven't had much of a look in who maybe deserve a chance due to others not performing.

Quote Originally Posted by offshore_arab83 View Post
    absolutely nae idea what line up we'll have but for me Clark needs to start up front with Fletcher

5 at back would be best to try protect the aussie szromnik, Freeman has to start we're more attacking when he's on

midfield, only guarantee is that Harkes will start, sadly

gonna be a tough game and we really need a performance and points on the board before the tims pump us next sunday, anything other than a win and i think we should be worrying, manager and players must surely be gelling now.
    I see lots of people on social media saying the back 3/5 is the way forward. I would be all for it, if it wasn't for Edwards being on the right hand side. He gets too exposed there and we don't really have any other options there. Maybe Liam Smith? Edwards or Mulgrew should only ever be the centre of the 3. Would agree about Freeman. Harkes needs to stop being played as 10 and back at being an 8 so he can make late runs into the box but still affect the midfield battle

Levitt fit & ready to play.

Quote Originally Posted by darrenshedtastic View Post
    I see lots of people on social media saying the back 3/5 is the way forward. I would be all for it, if it wasn't for Edwards being on the right hand side. He gets too exposed there and we don't really have any other options there. Maybe Liam Smith? Edwards or Mulgrew should only ever be the centre of the 3. Would agree about Freeman. Harkes needs to stop being played as 10 and back at being an 8 so he can make late runs into the box but still affect the midfield battle
    I'm sure if we added Graham in the 3 we could get a decent mix. I'm gutted for the lad. Looks like the back 4 thing won't involve him. Shame really, he was great for us when required.

This could be the team I think JR likes a 4-3-2-1 / 4-4-1-1 :

Birighitti (not my choice but JR seems to want him to continue)

Smith Mulgrew Edwards Freeman (left back as with Alkmaar at home)

Sibbald Levitt

Middleton - McGrath - Niskanen

Fletcher

Lots of options off bench including the left backs, Harkes, Meekison, Chalmers, Cudjoe, Watt etc

Massive match tomorrow

We need the 3 points and a strong start

Come on United

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)