+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2937383940 LastLast

Thread: ⚽ Match Thread vs. Gateshead FC 16.08.22 [NL]

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    I think football message boards generally create the impression of a more negative mood than actually exists, purely because people tend to use a forum like this to vent their spleen on what they think is wrong or needs improving. When results are good, things tend to go quieter, because the performances speak for themselves and there's not much to add beyond 'great game' or 'well done'. Just human nature really.
    Yep, that pretty much sums it up I reckon.

#corsairV4deluxe

I think football message boards generally create the impression of a more negative mood than actually exists, purely because people tend to use a forum like this to vent their spleen on what they think is wrong or needs improving. When results are good, things tend to go quieter, because the performances speak for themselves and there's not much to add beyond 'great game' or 'well done'. Just human nature really.
    This begs the question, are fans less likely to vent at the ground because they can let off steam online?
    Spectators being much more passive* than they used to be has been assumed to be a result of all seater stadiums and higher ticket prices attracting a more middle class and family orientated clientele. Could the internet have played a part in that as well?

*There is more singing than there used to be, but I'd say less engagement with the actual game. Fans entertaining themselves to a larger extent, Crystal Palace probably the prime example.
    Last edited by upthemaggies; 20-08-2022 at 11:39 AM.

coyp !!!

#Ew-36-3wheelscooter

100% this ^^^ and therefore it doesn't reflect the wider fanbase. It's the football equivalent of a review site for car hire. Who really bothers with leaving positive reviews when they return their car? But if something goes wrong on a trip then it's 1* and an accompanying rant.

Same on message boards , easier to find the energy and inclination to moan when we lose or draw rather than praise when we win. Plus we are Notts County FC the opportunity to moan is far more common, it's the easy option lol

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    100% this ^^^ and therefore it doesn't reflect the wider fanbase. It's the football equivalent of a review site for car hire. Who really bothers with leaving positive reviews when they return their car? But if something goes wrong on a trip then it's 1* and an accompanying rant.

Same on message boards , easier to find the energy and inclination to moan when we lose or draw rather than praise when we win. Plus we are Notts County FC the opportunity to moan is far more common, it's the easy option lol
    We could put this theory to the test by visiting the forums of clubs currently doing well and punching above their weight and comparing them to those doing badly. The forums of successful clubs should be very quiet by comparison.

100% correct. I think most of us realise this, so the constant highlighting of something that happens on all similar boards the length and breadth of the country is extremely tedious.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    It would be odd for any club to have a owner who wasn't trying to move the club forward, how many owners right now are trying to take their club backwards?

In reality Notts have fallen at an earlier stage of the 5th tier play offs each time, finishing 3rd, 5th, 5th in that order having yet to challenge for top spot despite being among the top 2 or 3 supported clubs in the division.

Is that mediocrity? If it is and the gates aren't dropping then the fans are accepting it.

If it isn't mediocrity, then what is it? Whatever it is, the fans are evidently quite happy with it, the owners and being in the 5th tier. If they weren't then they'd either be not turning up or making their dissatisfaction heard on the terraces.

I really don't think it's mediocrity, but obviously would have preferred us to go up.

I do think it must be remembered how close we were to beating Grimsby - whether we 'deserved to' isn't the issue, we nearly did. A stupid push in the back made all the difference. I await those who say that we didn't deserve it because we should have defended the free-kick better (I agree we should have) but nothing can mask the fact that it shouldn't have been a free-kick.

I suppose my feeling about Notts is far too simple - I hope they win every game, but if they don't, there's always the next one.

We could put this theory to the test by visiting the forums of clubs currently doing well and punching above their weight and comparing them to those doing badly. The forums of successful clubs should be very quiet by comparison.
    I'm not sure it even needs testing UTM tbh, some will already know from their visits to other sites. Personally I don't doubt it's the same or very similar up and down the country and the vast majority of clubs. People are quicker to criticise than praise.

My longstanding point and opinion is it would be foolish to believe the views and opinions displayed on football message boards accurately reflects the views of the overall fanbase. Hence #viva

As highlighted above message boards have a clear negative bias , and let's just say online you see more extreme views in that regard.

Obviously not everyone shares this view and a surprising high number (to me) seem to think NCM et al are reflective.

This has been my strong belief for a very long time now having signed up to NCM about 20 years ago. I just can't be bothered to write it every time it's evident on here so instead a simple hashtag does the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    I really don't think it's mediocrity, but obviously would have preferred us to go up.

I do think it must be remembered how close we were to beating Grimsby - whether we 'deserved to' isn't the issue, we nearly did. A stupid push in the back made all the difference. I await those who say that we didn't deserve it because we should have defended the free-kick better (I agree we should have) but nothing can mask the fact that it shouldn't have been a free-kick.

I suppose my feeling about Notts is far too simple - I hope they win every game, but if they don't, there's always the next one.
    FWIW I think the owners believe in what they are trying to do out of necessity, because they don't have the means for an alternative approach. The paucity of comment or interviews leaves the fans with little more than first impressions, which were that they saved the club, By remaining in he shadows, it FEELS as if they have left the 'Head Coach' and staff to just get on with it. A bit like puppet theatre where you can't see the strings, you know they are there, but you buy into the illusion.

FWIW I think the owners believe in what they are trying to do out of necessity, because they don't have the means for an alternative approach. The paucity of comment or interviews leaves the fans with little more than first impressions, which were that they saved the club, By remaining in he shadows, it FEELS as if they have left the 'Head Coach' and staff to just get on with it. A bit like puppet theatre where you can't see the strings, you know they are there, but you buy into the illusion.
    Yes but the general consensus in football is the best owners just go quietly along with their business. I like them, they're intelligent, they understand football and they have a strategy. How anyone buys a football club is beyond me, you spend a ridiculous fortune, rarely get anything back and if the club is successful it’s down to the manager and players. I just wish we had got these guys sooner, let’s face it our owners since Pavis have been absolutely awful and reason where we are today.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 20-08-2022 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Fixed typo for clarity

Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2937383940 LastLast