+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: ⚽ Match Thread vs. Chesterfield FC 20.08.22 [NL]

Many on here keep on about tall aggressive midfield bullies - Don Masson was probably one of our most influential midfielders as was Probert and even David Smith, none of these were big midfield bruisers - if a midfielder is clever enough he rarely gets caught with the ball and loses possession. I think LW is trying to get them to just have one touch then pass, its quick incisive and creates openings in the final third, too many Notts players try to hold the ball and try to move forwards (or sideways) with it which means they get caught in possession and get the ball taken off them or they are hurried in to making a poor pass, Having said that I know very little about the tactical side of the game but thats just how I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpies1959 View Post
    If the owners dictate the playing style, and will not alter their ideals, then come October I can see us playing to a near empty Pavis stand.
    If the Reedtz Brothers sold the club back to Alan Hardy, he appointed Jamie Fullarton as manager, changed our shirt colour to red, even then the Pavis stand wouldn't be near empty.

Us old farts are made of much sterner stuff than that.

Although the red shirts would make me think twice.

Quote Originally Posted by BanjoPie View Post
    Many on here keep on about tall aggressive midfield bullies - Don Masson was probably one of our most influential midfielders as was Probert and even David Smith, none of these were big midfield bruisers.
    They weren't midfield bruisers, but they usually had someone alongside them that was.

It's about balance. We have plenty of 'pretty' players, but no nasty players in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    any idea on the away number?
    attendance: 8,287 (1,886)

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    They weren't midfield bruisers, but they usually had someone alongside them that was.

It's about balance. We have plenty of 'pretty' players, but no nasty players in the middle.
    Dave McVay?

Masson had Mick Jones & later on Willie Carlin playing along side him, both combative ball winners. Carlin in particular was a ball winning dirty little sod (emphasis on the 'little') whose job was to win the ball & give it to DM. Oh for that pairing now!!

Quote Originally Posted by BanjoPie View Post
    Dave McVay?
    Going further back, look at the man we had a minute's applause for yesterday.

Edit: Looks like GEZMAN beat me to it!

Going further back, look at the man we had a minute's applause for yesterday.

Edit: Looks like GEZMAN beat me to it!
    Sorry! They say great minds think alike (although they also say fools seldom differ!!)

Exactly, balance is key. It's something we should strive for.

Nobody is saying you can't have stylish, flair players who can influence the game we've got one a beauty of one currently, but a Mark Draper or a Glenn Hoddle type needs that steel alongside him to do some of the ugly side of the game, doing the donkey work , get the ball for them to create on the ball like only they can.

What we need is a non-league Fernandinho , how ***** was he to Man Citeh?

Nearly 6500 home fans for a game on TV, impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Any idea on the away number?
    2000 according to their match report, no idea how accurate that is.

Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast